Hi there. I’m Merry-Jennifer, and I write this blog.
I started the merry gourmet in 2010 as a food blog, a place for me to share recipes and document my experiences learning to cook and bake.
In 2004, I began teaching myself to cook. I was the mother of an infant daughter at the time, and I realized that she would eventually learn to cook — or not cook — from me. I wanted to set a good example, not just by knowing how to turn ingredients into a meal, but by cooking good food, and by cooking from scratch as much as possible.
Over the years, the merry gourmet has evolved and grown, as I have. It’s not just about the recipes any longer. Here you’ll find a collection of stories about food, life, and family.
I don’t usually do sponsored product reviews. It’s just not my thing. You can assume that any products I write about are items that I’ve purchased myself, unless otherwise stated. Sometimes I accept books (such as cookbooks or food memoirs) for review, and I’ll always mention in the post if it was a freebie.
Any Amazon links that you see are Affiliate links. This means that I make a commission (a teensy-tiny one, but still, a commission) on any purchases that you make on Amazon after clicking through that link.
I welcome comments, so please leave me one. If I’ve made an error or typo, or if you have other constructive criticism, please feel free to comment or email me. But, please be kind and polite in your comments. Since this is my little spot on the web, I will delete any offensive or rude comments. Also, if your comment contains any links that seem like spam, I’ll delete it.
Would you rather email me? Please do! I promise to answer all of my emails as soon as I can. You can reach me through the contact form on this site or by email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ve been featured in a variety of places on the web. Here’s a sampling of them.
- Huffington Post: Cinnamon Peach Ice Cream. 7.23.2012
- Gourmet Live’s Food Blog of the Week on 02.27.2012
- iVillage’s The 10 Most Blogged About Recipes on 2.28.2012
- FineCooking.com Best of the Blogs, 10.02.2012
- In 2011, I wrote a few food articles for the Florida Times-Union & Jacksonville.com. This one, this one, and this one.
- Guest post for Babble’s The Family Kitchen: Sausage and Lentil Soup, on 01.19.2011
- Guest post for Mom it Forward’s Meal Time: Cinnamon Apple Crisp, on 03.25.2011
- CNN’s Eatocracy – Blogger Spotlight: the merry gourmet on 10.13.2010
- Food 52’s Reciprocity: The Merry Gourmet
- Food News Journal’s Best of the Blogs on 7.16.2010, 8.31.2010, 10.29.10, 2.08.2011, 5.24.2011
- Gourmet Live’s Weekly Roundup: Creative Cocktails on 12.31.2010
- The Kitchn’s Delicious Links for 3.29.2010, 4.23.2010, 7.15.2010, and for 05.27. 2011.
- The Kitchn: Spring Desserts: 5 Great Pudding Recipes, 04.26.2011
- Los Angeles Times’ Combo Plate on 01.11.2011
- The Stir: Shrimp and Grits, Bacon Bourbon Caramel Corn – What We’re Eating This Week, 4.04.2010
- The Stir: Coconut Shrimp, Black Pepper Shrimp, Shrimp Tacos – What We’re Eating This Week, 5.09.2010
- Guest post for Cooks&Books&Recipes: Oven Baked Blueberry French Toast, on 09.18.2010
- The Stir: In the Kitchen With: Merry-Jennifer of The Merry Gourmet