ad hoc-inspired peach cobbler

Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc cookbook is now one of my favorites. But, like most of the cookbooks I’ve purchased lately, I tend to read all the recipes but never make a single one. For a recent meal, I decided to give the cobbler recipe in Ad Hoc a try. The recipe is for blueberry cobbler, but since my husband is anything but a blueberry fan, I had to go with peaches.

I used seven large peaches, but ten or eleven would have been better. After mixing the fresh sliced and peeled fruit with sugar, a bit of flour, and lemon zest, I poured the peaches into a 9 x 13 inch pan and topped it with the homemade topping.

a watched pot...

The cobbler smelled delicious as it was baking in the oven. I usually go more for chocolate desserts, but the aromas that filled my kitchen were heavenly and irresistible.
peach cobbler

After baking it for 40 minutes at 350 degrees, the peaches bubbled and the topping was golden brown on top.

peaches and crust

The cake-like topping was wonderful with a subtle sweetness, and the cinnamon sugar topping added a nice flavor to each bite. I didn’t think there was enough juiciness in the fruit, but I can probably remedy this by using more fruit next time around.

12 Responses to “not just for birthdays: almond cake”

1. Gah! This cake is gorgeous! It looks so moist and delicious… I want a piece right now.

I’ve never heard of orange flower water, but now I’m intrigued! Another great post, my friend!

2. brian @ howtobaker — June 30, 2010 @ 11:53 am

What a delicious looking cake! I love how it uses almond paste and extract…I love almondy things. Thanks for sharing a fantastic looking dessert!

3. Macaroni Mama — June 30, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Merry Jennifer, when we picked you up from the baby sitters, you came running to the car shouting, “They made a cake and it wasn’t anybody’s birthday!” Unfortunately, I still didn’t bake cakes…except at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

4. CC Recipe — June 30, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

This almond cakes looks so wonderful, I love how the inside looks so delicate and spongy!

5. The Housewife — June 30, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

This looks so perfect that it makes me want to dig right in…it’s seems so warm and inviting! 🙂 Bookmarked your recipe!

6. Gail — June 30, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

Perfectly perfect. Beautifully formed crumb..no big tunnels from undermixing. *sniff sniff* I think I can smell the almond!

7. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — June 30, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Brian & Brian – Thanks! Orange flower water is something I discovered after listening to the Splendid Table podcast. She did a segment on it some time ago, and I immediately went out and purchased a bottle for baking with.

Macaroni Mama (a.k.a. Mom!) – Yay for commenting! Welcome. 🙂

CC Recipe – It really was the perfect texture. I feel lucky that it came out so well.

The Housewife – Oh, you should definitely make this one.

Gail – Means a lot coming from my Number One Cookie Woman (and professional baker!). Thanks. 🙂

8. Jason Phelps — June 30, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

Having a whole cake around is dangerous…

Looks fantastic!

Jason

9. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — July 1, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I have never seen almond paste before – must look for it. I love an almond cake too and I like that you added the orange flower water to it – a great combination!

10. Maria at Fresh Eats — July 1, 2010 @ 8:00 am

What a pretty cake! I too feel a little shock at making a cake “just because,” but I can easily be swayed.

11. Pingback: mini buttermilk corn muffins | the merry gourmet

12. Magic of Spice — July 3, 2010 @ 2:48 am

What a fantastic looking cake…looks so moist and I love almond paste:)