ad hoc-inspired peach cobbler

Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc cookbook is now one of my favorites. But, like most of the cookbooks I’ve purchased lately, I tend to read all the recipes but never make a single one. For a recent meal, I decided to give the cobbler recipe in Ad Hoc a try. The recipe is for blueberry cobbler, but since my husband is anything but a blueberry fan, I had to go with peaches.

I used seven large peaches, but ten or eleven would have been better. After mixing the fresh sliced and peeled fruit with sugar, a bit of flour, and lemon zest, I poured the peaches into a 9 x 13 inch pan and topped it with the homemade topping.

a watched pot...

The cobbler smelled delicious as it was baking in the oven. I usually go more for chocolate desserts, but the aromas that filled my kitchen were heavenly and irresistible.
peach cobbler

After baking it for 40 minutes at 350 degrees, the peaches bubbled and the topping was golden brown on top.

peaches and crust

The cake-like topping was wonderful with a subtle sweetness, and the cinnamon sugar topping added a nice flavor to each bite. I didn’t think there was enough juiciness in the fruit, but I can probably remedy this by using more fruit next time around.

15 Responses to “beach vacation sangria”

1. 1
    bunkycooks — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Sangria always hits the spot! I could use that beach vacation right about now!!! 🙂

2. 2
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I tend to do white sangria in the summer, but this looks too wonderful to pass up. I could go for a nice beach vaca right now.

3. 3
    Baking Serendipity — August 16, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

There is nothing more amazing than sangria at the beach. Glad you had a good vacation!

4. 4
    Barbara | Vino Luci Style — August 16, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

I tend to do white sangria too with peaches but I would have no problem with this version. I wonder if topping off each serving with the soda would help keep the batch for the next day as opposed to having it go flat and ruin the entire thing of beauty.

5. 5
    Jason Phelps — August 16, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

I make this at home so I can think I am at the beach. Red or white, sangria is awesome!!!

Jason

6. 6
    Macaroni Mama — August 16, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

Sangria on day two was worth it..It made my lips pucker, but sangria is sangria when you need a lift! Thanks, MJ for having it there.

7. 7
    May Ling WU — August 17, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Nothing like sangria on the beach!

8. 8
    Jennie — August 17, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I’m in vacation countdown mode myself—leaving for Cape Cod this weekend. I’ll be somewhat in your neck of the woods at the end of September for the Food & Wine Festival at Disney 🙂

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Jennie – Cape Cod sounds amazing! Perhaps we’ll finally get to meet IRL at Epcot… 🙂

9. 9
    Mark — August 18, 2010 @ 8:47 am

It seems to me that the rinds are what makes Sangria bitter after a few days. I usually juice the fruit and only leave few whole slices for decoration. This way it only gets better with time.

Mark

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Mark – I think you’re absolutely right. The bitterness on day 2 definitely seemed to come from the citrus rinds. In fact, I may give it a try again, but this time section the fruit and trash the rinds.

10. 10
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 19, 2010 @ 7:14 am

One of my favourite drinks is sangria and this looks like a good recipe! Thanks for sharing!

11. 11
    Jessica — August 20, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Love the beautiful pictures, and this sangria looks quite delicious. Thanks for sharing with us!

12. 12
    Susan — August 20, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

You know, I had forgotten all about Sangria–and living here in Florida (I’m in Orlando), we can sure use something light and refreshing to drink during this amazingly hot summer…thank you for the reminder.

13. 13
    Ivy @ My Simple Food — August 24, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Hmmm..nice a good Sangria anytime!!