poached egg over brioche with pistou

I must confess something. Prior to this meal, I have never poached an egg. I have eaten poached eggs, but I have never made them myself. It has been on my to do list for some time. So, today, I poached my first egg.

basil

I made the pistou in my mini food processor using some basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic. My basil plant died this winter, so I had to buy some for this dish. I fully intend to have basil in my new garden. Did I mention I’m going to be starting my first garden? It’s very exciting.

brioche

Our local bakery, The Flour Pot, makes a wonderful brioche. I picked up a loaf this morning, and it took all I could do to resist eating it before lunch.

organic brown eggs

I toasted a slice of brioche, shaved some parmesan cheese over the toast, topped it with one poached egg, and then sprinkled the pistou and some fleur de sel over the top. It was fabulous. And gone within about 30 seconds.

a delicious lunch

Lessons learned today:

1. Poaching an egg is not rocket science, but it’s not the easiest thing either. I’m sure with practice I’ll figure out how to get rid of those trailing strands of egg white.
  2. Poached eggs are divine.
  3. Pistou is a great addition for ramping up flavor. So is fleur de sel.
  4. I need a personal photographer to capture some of the more interesting steps of the process – like the egg poaching part. I’m not sure my husband will give up his day job, though. I can’t pay that well.

16 Responses to “roasted apricot scones”

1. Heather @ The Single Dish — August 5, 2010 @ 9:48 am

I don’t think I have ever had a fresh apricot either! I love the dried ones. I am going to try to make apricot jam and these scones would be perfect with that!

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 5, 2010 @ 11:06 am

I’m not crazy about dried apricots but I can’t get enough fresh ones. In fact, I tend to eat so many that I get a little tummy ache. 🙁 This looks right up my alley. I’m definitely going to have to try this out. 🙂

3. foodies at home — August 5, 2010 @ 11:27 am

I’m so glad you finally experienced fresh apricots! Your scones look so great! Beautifully done!

4. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — August 5, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Great compromise between using dried or fresh. Just having had my own virgin experience making scones, I know exactly how satisfying it feels…and these look delish. Now wondering how easy it is to find fresh apricots here…I don’t think they’re in huge abundance in Denver either but it’s peach time and maybe I’ll try those.

5. Macaroni Mama — August 5, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Sounds like a wonderful breakfast or snack. I’m not fond of fresh apricots either, and then I realized I’ve never had a fresh one either.

6. tina — August 5, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

I love apricots and scones! Yours sound delicious!

7. Adelina — August 5, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

I am big on apricots, specially if they are grown right and are super sweet. When I saw your post, I thought apricot scone – nice. Then I read the part roasted apricot scone and said “YUM”. This looks great. I am glad you’re not longer a virgin. lol

8. Mrs. Larkin — August 5, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Love this! Great idea with the roasting. I don’t use dried apricots very much because most contain sulfites, and organic dried are an ugly brown. I love that the pretty orange color is retained after roasting!

9. Gail — August 5, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

I love apricots, I love scones, an I love this blog. And, the blogger!

10. Pingback: Tweets that mention roasted apricot scones | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

11. Andra@FrenchPressMemos — August 6, 2010 @ 12:23 am

Can I suggest your next step in your fresh and prepped apricot adventures? Preserves- 4 cups apricots, 1 1/2 cup sugar, juice of one lemon. Blend, stew, stir until it thickens to your desired consistency (I like mine soupier). Lemon juice goes in at the end. You will love it 🙂

The scones look outrageous!

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 6th, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Andra – GREAT suggestion! I don’t know why I didn’t think of making my own preserves. Duh. 🙂

12. Pingback: the merry gourmet shop is open! | the merry gourmet

13. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 19, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I made these with Les Petits Chefs last year and used dried apricots. Your version with roasted apricots is intriguing though – would love to try.

14. Pretty. Good. Food. — September 1, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Oh man this looks delicious! Everything here looks so yummy! And your photographs are beautiful!
    I recently launched my own blog http://www.prettygoodfood.com I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks and Happy Cooking!

15. Sasha — April 20, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

Wow, these scones look fantastic…what I would do for a warm one right now…*drool*