poached egg over brioche with pistou

I must confess something. Prior to this meal, I have never poached an egg. I have eaten poached eggs, but I have never made them myself. It has been on my to do list for some time. So, today, I poached my first egg.

basil

I made the pistou in my mini food processor using some basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic. My basil plant died this winter, so I had to buy some for this dish. I fully intend to have basil in my new garden. Did I mention I’m going to be starting my first garden? It’s very exciting.

brioche

Our local bakery, The Flour Pot, makes a wonderful brioche. I picked up a loaf this morning, and it took all I could do to resist eating it before lunch.

organic brown eggs

I toasted a slice of brioche, shaved some parmesan cheese over the toast, topped it with one poached egg, and then sprinkled the pistou and some fleur de sel over the top. It was fabulous. And gone within about 30 seconds.

a delicious lunch

Lessons learned today:

1. Poaching an egg is not rocket science, but it’s not the easiest thing either. I’m sure with practice I’ll figure out how to get rid of those trailing strands of egg white.
  2. Poached eggs are divine.
  3. Pistou is a great addition for ramping up flavor. So is fleur de sel.
  4. I need a personal photographer to capture some of the more interesting steps of the process – like the egg poaching part. I’m not sure my husband will give up his day job, though. I can’t pay that well.

32 Responses to “chickpea salad with feta and herbs”

1. Jessica @ How Sweet — April 22, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Thanks for the shoutout! I have a bit of a chickpea obsession too. 🙂

2. Chris — April 22, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Beautiful salad! This has my name all over it. I adore chickpeas. Canned, fresh….bring ’em on.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 23rd, 2011 @ 8:23 am

Chris – I’ve never had fresh ones or dried ones. Time to give those a whirl.

3. Kalynskitchen — April 22, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Oh yes please! I love the looks of this salad.

4. Maris (In Good Taste) — April 22, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

Love chick peas and love feta. Lovely salad.

5. Marla — April 22, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

OK, not sure what is up but I have been crazy about chickpeas over here too! This salad looks awesome.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 23rd, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Thanks, Marla! Maybe we’re starting a new chickpea craze. 🙂

6. I had a reader looking for chickpea recipes! Oooo there is a ton here, thanks! I’m sending her over. 😉

7. Aggie — April 23, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I’m so happy you have embraced the chickpea! One of my favorite beans 🙂 I have everything here, and am in need of a healthful lunch after indulging too much takeout the last few days. I’m all over this.

Thanks so much for linking to my pasta 🙂

8. looks like another awesome chickpea salad recipe! I love your use of all of those herbs…especially the mint!

9. Lynda — April 23, 2011 @ 10:55 am

I love chickpeas, especially in salads like this! Great photos, too!

10. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — April 23, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

I fear I’m sort of where you were; stilling passing them over on the salad bar and wondering what all the Chick Pea fuss is about. Guess I need to move beyond head in the sand and give them a whirl huh?

11. I have loved chickpeas since being a kid. We always called them garbanza beans growing up. Your salad looks fresh, healthy and super tasty. Beautiful photos!

12. Caiti — April 24, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Tomato and cucumber salads have become a staple of our weekly veggie plate, I can’t wait to try this version (can’t go wrong with chick peas, says the girl with a fish named Garbanzo) :).

13. julia — April 24, 2011 @ 10:41 am

So funny, I fell in love w/ a chickpea salad 2 weeks ago at a potluck, and it happens to be the same recipe you loved! I’m making this salad today for Easter

14. Ben — April 26, 2011 @ 9:46 am

That looks like a hearty salad. There are so many ways to enjoy chickpeas.

15. Shellina — April 26, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

This could not be more beautiful. Nice work- can’t wait to try it. Thanks for posting. 🙂

16. Feast on the Cheap — April 27, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

This salad looks so wonderful and so refreshing – best part is, I have ALL of the ingredients! Even the mint…

17. Pingback: Recipe: Chickpea and Tomato Salad « The Frugal Flambe

18. Pingback: Recipe: Chickpea and Tomato Salad | The Frugal Flambe

19. Pingback: white bean hummus | The Merry Gourmet

20. Tracey — August 11, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

This salad looks delicious and I always have chickpeas in my pantry. My husband and I love them. I also have a huge pear tomato bursting at the seams with tomatoes. Some of them are going in this salad before the end of the week.
    Thank you so much for sharing it. 🙂

21. Pingback: Mashed Potato-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe

22. Pingback: Chickpea and Feta Salad | Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body

23. Pingback: Vegetarian by chasingbuddha - Pearltrees

24. Sara Connolly — May 29, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Hi MJ,

Made this salad yesterday for our Memorial Day picnic. It was delicious! Love the use of chickpeas!

S