shaved rutabaga with butter

When I was growing up, I was forced to eat a lot of things that I didn’t want to eat. And my parents – I probably have to blame my dad for this one – were firm believers in the clean-your-plate philosophy. I have vivid memories of swallowing stewed tomatoes whole just to get them off my plate. Other foods that I learned to swallow without chewing? Cooked carrots, Brussels sprouts, and rutabaga. And there were probably more.

IMG_7908

Over the years, I’ve overcome my dislike for tomatoes. In fact, I adore tomatoes and would eat them with each meal if possible. I have learned to love Brussels sprouts, and they’re one of my new favorite vegetables. And, recently, I’ve learned to appreciate – and yes, even like – the rutabaga. At a recent dinner, my dad made rutabagas for a side dish, and they were delicious. Even my six year old daughter ate them, and she even wanted seconds.

IMG_7920

When I saw a recipe for shaved rutabaga in the latest issue of Food and Wine, I just had to make it. It was delicious – tender and slightly sweet, buttery, with just a hint of black pepper. Plus, I got to play with my new mandoline. And I didn’t lose a finger doing it.

IMG_7923

IMG_7924

I still don’t like cooked carrots, in case you were wondering.

So, how about  you? Are there any vegetables you have had a love-hate (or hate-love or hate-hate) relationship with?

IMG_7951

Shaved Rutabagas with Butter and Black Pepper

Very slightly adapted from Food and Wine. The recipe calls for 8 tablespoons butter and I only used 5 tablespoons.

5 tablespoons unsalted butter
Two 1-1/2 pound rutabagas - quartered, peeled, and shaved to 1/8 inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the shaved rutabagas, season with salt and pepper, and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until tender and browned in spots - about 10-15 minutes (be sure to taste towards the end of cooking to make sure the rutabaga is to your liking). Season with pepper, toss, and serve.

10 Responses to “having patience and a recipe: skillet-fried (creamed) corn”

1. Gail — August 16, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

I would take care of your kids for you, just to give you more time to write.

I can say without fear of you actually taking me up on this offer as we live in different states.

But, the sentiment is genuine. Because I love the way you write.
    xoxo

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 17th, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Gail, you are the best. xo

2. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 17, 2012 @ 9:49 am

It’s been so long since I’ve been to the beach. There’s something about it that makes me slow down and relax. Maybe it’s the rhythm of the waves breaking on the shore, or maybe it’s just being away from the ordinary routine of home. I’m thinking it’s high time we planned a little trip.

Maybe I’ll take my skillet and cook up a little corn while we’re there.

3. Macaroni Mama — August 17, 2012 @ 10:27 am

I love the way you tied up this piece of writing.

4. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — August 17, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Ahh, the beach. There’s nothing quite so therapeutic as digging your toes into the sun-warmed sand. Sounds like a picture-perfect vacation – so much time to read! Imagine! *Dreamy sigh*

I’m new to the stay-at-home-mom thing (my little one is 7 months old and I’m doing it full-time right now). I feel like I learn new life lessons every day. The underlying message, usually, is “slow down…” So much easier said than done, isn’t it?!

Can’t wait to try this recipe, by the way. Looks divine.

Love your posts as always, MJ!

5. haniela — August 18, 2012 @ 3:07 am

Thanks for taking me to the beach with your words. I haven’t been in so long, years actually. I hope to visit again.
    Love the corn, roo.

6. Nutmeg Nanny — August 19, 2012 @ 12:40 am

This is the side dish of my summer dreams. Yes please! Sounds like the beach was the perfect therapy.

7. Kathryn — August 19, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

I read Gone Girl on the plane to LA and loved it, can’t wait to download the others! I love this post as well MJ, just beautiful writing (as ever).

8. Pingback: 35 Vegetarian Recipes for Cinco de Mayo (+ 10 Bonus Margarita Recipes) | Kitchen Treaty

9. Bree — December 26, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

We had this with our Christmas dinner last night, and everyone raved about it. Was searching for a fabulous, simple corn dish, and this absolutely fit the bill. Thanks!