spring break and a simple lunch

Can you guess where we were this week? Here’s a hint:

IMG_8113

And here’s another:

IMG_8153

I used to wonder what the attraction to Disney World was for adults, but now that I have children, I completely understand. There is nothing better than watching my daughter, Madeline, scream with excitement on Space Mountain and watching my son, Oliver, grin from ear to ear as we spin round and round on the teacups ride.

After spending a day at the Animal Kingdom and a couple of days at Magic Kingdom, we drove less than two hours over to St. Pete Beach for some much needed beach time.  I tried to do lots of this:

legs

but I ended up doing lots of sand castle building and shell collecting. Not that I’m complaining. It was entirely relaxing and the perfect spring break trip.

This vacation was totally not about food. It’s hard to have the restaurant experiences that we like to have with a 6 year old and a 3 year old in tow. We put aside any hopes of great meals for our next grown-ups only vacation in June [Vegas, baby!]. We had lots of pizza, burgers, and other unhealthy things we don’t normally eat. Like this:

IMG_8102

Yesterday was my first full day home from our trip, and I was still in recovery mode. Since I’m off work this entire week, I wanted to spend some quality time in my kitchen. And I really wanted something simple for lunch. Without meat. Without french fries.

tomato & goat cheese tart

I thawed some puff pastry and used part of it for this simple tomato tart with goat cheese and fresh basil from my herb garden. I wish I could say the tomatoes were from my garden, too, but not yet. Maybe later in the summer if my plants survive [fingers crossed].

tomato & goat cheese tart

It was the perfect light lunch. Or would have been, had I not eaten the entire thing.

tomato & goat cheese tart

20 Responses to “napa valley, california: eats and drinks”

1. Elizabeth Howes — October 26, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

Great shots! I actually live in Marin (40 minutes south of the wine country) but never get tired of photos of the area. Especially when they involve great food and wine.

Thanks for sharing — and Happy (belated) Birthday!

2. Kristina @ spabettie — October 26, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

GORGEOUS photos ! I went to Bouchon (Vegas…) for my birthday… I have always wanted to visit all the restaurants in Napa… it all looks delicious!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

3. Kate @ maître de moda — October 26, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

What a great post – the pictures are fabulous!
    Happy birthday! I cannot wait to go to Napa one of these days…the food looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

4. Gail — October 26, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

I got up from my sickbed to have a bite to eat and look at food blogs.
    This post has cheered me up more than words can say.
    Beautiful……

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention napa valley, california: eats and drinks | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

6. Dr. Bob — October 26, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

Gorgeous photography.

7. Kate @ Savour Fare — October 26, 2010 @ 10:43 pm

OK, now I have to open a bottle of wine.

8. Kim — October 27, 2010 @ 1:13 am

Happy belated birthaday! Oh how I wish I spent mine in Napa. Maybe next year?!

Beautiful pictures!

[K]

9. eatgreek.net — October 27, 2010 @ 3:00 am

excellent pictures!
    that weather is perfect for a glass of wine and nice food! 😀

10. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — October 27, 2010 @ 6:40 am

Looks like a wonderful trip MJ. Can’t wait to read a little more about it all. And it brought back so many memories 🙂

11. SMITH BITES — October 27, 2010 @ 7:27 am

beautiful MJ and so happy you got to go for your birthday! we wanted to see Napa this summer when we were there but just didn’t have the time with everything else that had been scheduled – but i feel as if i’ve been there now because of these gorgeous photos! does make me want to visit even more – love it!

12. Maria at Fresh Eats — October 27, 2010 @ 9:17 am

Such pretty photography of a wonderful place. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Makes me want to go back.

13. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — October 27, 2010 @ 11:58 am

I was supposed to visit Napa this summer but life went a bit awry, so I’ll enjoy a bit through your visit and pine for the day it actually happens maybe a bit more? Beautiful photos, thanks for taking us along!

14. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 27, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

What an opportunity you had! Lovely photos!

15. Nancy@acommunaltable — October 27, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

Gorgeous photos!! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip! Last time we were there it rained the entire time – but it was still a blast and we loved every minute of it!!!

16. Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — October 27, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Your post is bringing back some wonderful memories of my trip to SF/Napa in Spring 2009. Love Bouchon Bakery…we ate dinner at ad hoc and loved it. I’m sure Bouchon is fantastic as well. Want to go back next year for another ad hoc dinner + Bottega. And more vineyards!

17. Pingback: pumpkin soup with gruyère | the merry gourmet

18. Steph — October 29, 2010 @ 11:35 am

Lovely pics! I’ve always wanted to visit Napa in the fall.

19. Nothing better than Napa Valley! I am fortunate to live about an hour away and pop up there often. Bouchon bakery and restaurant are among my favorites!!! Nice photos – thank you for sharing! Must try that Barlow wine!

20. Jason Phelps — October 31, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

Holy pictures! I have to get to Napa ASAP.

Jason