the chicago debriefing

I’m back! After spending five days in Chicago, I’m plum exhausted. The trip was mostly about work, but I had plenty of down time to eat and drink and have an all around good time. My husband spent the first few days with me, and we had a blast playing tourist.

In the spirit of keeping it short and sweet, I’m sharing some photos from the trip. I think they’ll speak for themselves.

(Like my friend Jen (of Last Night’s Dinner) does with her Weekend Eats (And Drinks) posts, if you click on the pictures, it will take you to my Flickr stream where you can learn more about each image.)

fountain

purple flowers

chicago bean

john barleycorn

beers at john barleycorn

stained glass bistro

fish and gnocchi

eleven city diner

eggs

view from john hancock bulding

field museum

star of siam

chard and kindle

view from hotel room

hot doug's: sausage superstore

hot doug's menu

hot doug's hotdog

spiaggia menu

risotto with sea urchin & caviar

veal-filled pasta

14 Responses to “the chicago debriefing”

1. bunkycooks — June 9, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Chicago is such a fun town! The food and the people are great. Thanks for sharing the photos.

2. Beautiful post! Stunning pictures!

3. Sara — June 9, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Wonderful post about Chicago! Looks like you guys had a great time! 🙂

4. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — June 9, 2010 @ 11:13 am

Amazing pictures…great looking food, love the flowers, beautiful shot of Lake Michigan but I have a question. You mostly worked?

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — June 9th, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

Barb – I’m just very efficient. 🙂

5. The Housewife — June 9, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Nice pictures… Never been to Chicago but now I have too! 🙂

6. Magic of Spice — June 9, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

Great post, and I love the photographs!

7. Jason Phelps — June 11, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

Beautiful photos. Looks like good weather. Glad you had a good time!

Jason

8. Great photos! I’ve never been Chicago… wonder if I can make up an excuse to visit. Mostly curious about the deep-dish pizza.

I hope that Spiaggia risotto was an appetizer; it looks tiny!!!

[K]

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — June 12th, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Kim – The risotto was an appetizer. Actually, it was a bonus appetizer they threw in because our entrees were delayed for some reason. I didn’t post the entree picture – the lighting was too awful so it didn’t turn out.

9. Liren — June 15, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

I just have one thing to say: nostalgia!

I throughly enjoyed all your tweets while you were there – it felt like I was in Chi-town all over again! I fell in love in Chicago – it’s such a beautiful city to love and to fall in love…and the food is pretty darn good too. Your photos brought that all back for me 🙂

10. Plate and Pour — June 23, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

As a Chicago resident, I am excited that you had a great food-focused visit! Hope you didn’t have to wait in line too long at Hot Doug’s! Next time you might want to try The Publican and Frontera.

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — June 24th, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Plate and Pour – The line was about 30 minutes, which is pretty good for Hot Doug’s I hear. Thanks for the restaurant tips, too. I plan to go back next summer, so I’ll add them to my list!

11. Lawyer Loves Lunch — June 26, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

The hubster has wanted to visit Chicago for a while now and these pictures just convinced me we need to go soon! Hot Doug’s is definitely on the list 🙂