in times of need – summer fruit crisp

I promised myself that I would not complain about how insanely busy I’ve been since last week. I won’t complain that I’ve had absolutely zero time for this blog, and hardly any time to cook or bake anything. And I really won’t complain that by the time July is over, I will have been working for 21 days in a row. Without a day off. I am NOT complaining.

I will say, however, that I’ve had a serious-as-a-heart-attack craving for comfort food. Because I’ve needed comforting during this time that I’m not complaining about.

Over the weekend, I called my husband from work with an order a polite request for him to pick up some fresh fruit at the grocery store. He’s not a huge fan of cobblers and crisps and the such, but I am. So I made one. To satisfy ME.

Selfish, I know, but I really, really, really needed this dessert on Sunday.

Juicy cherries, fresh blueberries, a pint of plump blackberries, and a couple of ripe peaches made the filling of this summer fruit crisp just heavenly. The topping is always the best part of these kinds of desserts – whether they’re called crisps or cobblers or crumbles. Crunchy, buttery goodness serves as the ideal complement to the juicy fruit filling.

This was one super simple but incredibly satisfying dessert. I served it warm out of the oven with a scoop – or two – of vanilla ice cream, and like a big warm hug, it was just what I needed after a long working weekend.

Yield: Serves 6-8.

Summer Fruit Crisp

The measurements of the fruit are approximate. If you prefer to use 2 cups of blueberries and omit the cherries, go for it. Want more peaches? Have at it. Make this your own.

Ingredients for Crisp

1 cup blueberries
2 cups blackberries
2 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup cherries, pitted (or frozen and thawed)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Ingredients for Topping

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped coarsely
Pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the berries, cherries, and peach pieces with sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Place into a buttered shallow dish (such as a pie plate or casserole dish).

Prepare the topping: Combine oats, flour, light brown sugar, salt, chopped almonds, and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers [and honestly, your fingers are your best tools here], work in the butter until combined. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees in the center of oven until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 1 hour. Cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Inspired by and adapted from this recipe from Parade Magazine, 2007.

14 Responses to “guest post: the journey to macaron perfection”

1. Daydreamer Desserts — June 18, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

From one Macaron Obsessed Foodie to another, Brav0!! For your determination and dedication have surely paid off.

PS: I loved “Le cimtière des macarons”…

2. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — June 18, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

Thanks so much for having me – I am honoured that you asked me to guest post on your beautiful blog!!!

3. Ken — June 18, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

Your journey gives me hope that trial and error is the key to success. I learn from my mistakes and thanks to you and other’s encouragement, I’ve gain more knowledge than I could imagine. Thanks.

4. Barbara Bakes — June 18, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

Gorgeous macs. I too love the anticipation by the oven waiting for feet. I’ll look forward to your next round ofmacs.

5. bunkycooks — June 19, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Congrats on your now beautiful macarons! Persistence has paid off.

6. Jamie — June 19, 2010 @ 8:31 am

I love seeing your journey and always love talking macs with you, sharing our joys and successes, our feet and our failures. When your macs work they are stunningly perfect and the flavors are always so creative. Here is to all the MacPassionates, MacAddicts out there! And I am looking forward to more baking macs with you in our virtual kitchen!

7. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz — June 19, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Wonderful guest post from Mardi. Having seen the attempts in each separate posts it’s cool to see them in retrospective, successfully

8. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — June 19, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Macamaniac I say! I applaud Mardi’s continuous quest to find that perfect balance of ingredients, humidity, heat, patience…whew; it is not for the faint of heart!

But nothing quite thrills a co-mac addict quite like the words, ‘Feet…I’ve got feet!’ – I’ve made the journey a couple of times and grew weary but you Mardi…you are a living example of patience and persistance; your results are now stunning and I’m betting delicious too!

9. Fuji Mama — June 19, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

It has been such a fun journey to watch Mardi!

10. Geoff — June 19, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

So, what actually is the attraction, Mardi? Is it the taste, the appearance or just the warm glow from being able to make them right?
    And, assume they were easily available in Canada and they were good, would you bother to make them?

11. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite — June 20, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Daydreamer Desserts – it’s good to know I am not alone in my quest!

Ken – I couldn’t imagine attempting these without the support and encouragement of my fellow mac-fiends 😉 Or the resources available on the internet, for that matter…

Barbara – that anticipation is always exciting huh?

bunkycooks – well let’s hope I really *have* cracked the secret at least to this method!!

Jamie – thanks for having me over in MacTweets – I don’t know if I would be making this journey on my own!!

Evelyne – it really puts it all in perspective looking at them together like that, huh? I do have a long way to go still but I have come so far already!

Barbara – thanks so much for your sweet comment! I fear readers may grow tired of my attempts so you know I throw in a few fails every now and then to keep them on their toes – I WISH!!!! Thanks for all your support too!

Fuji Mama – thanks to you I now have a recipe that is nearly failproof, as long as the weather and humidity cooperate!!

Geoff (dad)- well since you probably know me better than anyone, you must know that it’s the fact that I hate to fail at anything so when I get my mind set on something, I keep on doing it until it’s right. They are available in Canada (though not in walking distance of us) so I guess I could go and buy them but really, whilst I like the taste and appearance, it’s the making them part that I really love! Plus, my neighbours are very happy to eat my attempts!!!

12. Magic of Spice — June 21, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

You look like an expert to me Mardi, and thank you so much for showing the mishaps as well…Gives us much hope as we are wading our way through:) They look fantastic!

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 24, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

Love all of the macarons… The are always so beautiful. Great post!

14. Pingback: mini buttermilk corn muffins | the merry gourmet