mini buttermilk corn muffins

I was in a baking mood last weekend. A baking and sharing mood, actually. I made this almond cake and shared it with a good friend who just had her third baby. I also made these little buttermilk corn muffins, and I shared them with some neighbors who were moving a few blocks away. It seemed like a perfect packing-up-the-moving-truck kind of snack. Well, maybe not, but hey – I needed someone to share the muffins with.

To be perfectly honest, I just felt like baking and I happened to come up with two very good excuses to do so. I love passing on food to friends and family – it’s part of the joy of cooking.

Barb of VinoLuciStyle had a wonderful idea to create recipes from the RSVP section of Bon Appétit magazine and feature them in a blog post. After all, those recipes have no photos attached, and part of the fun of this is seeing how the finished dish turns out (and hopefully taking some fab photos!). Mardi of eat. live. travel. write. – you remember Mardi, right? She wrote this lovely post on macarons for me – posted her versions of the RSVP recipes earlier this week.

I love cornbread, so when I saw the recipe for mini buttermilk corn muffins in the RSVP section of the July issue, I immediately knew that this was the recipe I would make. And, thanks to my neighbors, I had the perfect excuse to make them.

The only real substitution I made was to use chives instead of dill in the muffins. I really am not a fan of dill. There. I said it. No dill for me.

The muffins were adorable, and tasty, too. Of course I kept a handful for our family – and if I’m going to be perfectly honest, I ate two myself. They were incredibly moist, with lovely bursts of sweetness from the corn kernels inside. Next time, to heck with the neighbors – I’ll keep the whole batch for myself.

Yield: 16 muffins

Mini Buttermilk Corn Muffins

Recipe slightly adapted from Bon Appétit, July 2010 issue, who adapted it from a recipe from Chino Farms in Rancho Santa Fe, California. Because I don't like dill, I substituted fresh chives instead. I also used light sour cream instead of full-fat.

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (generous) kosher salt
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 1 ear of corn)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 16 mini muffin cups with nonstick spray.

Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk sour cream, buttermilk, and egg in another medium bowl. Whisk in melted butter. Stir in dry ingredients. Add corn kernels and chives; fold just to incorporate. Divide among prepared muffin cups, about 1 generous tablespoon per cup.

Bake mini muffins until puffed and brown around edges, 13 to 15 minutes (tops will not brown). Cool slightly. Remove muffins from pan. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

14 Responses to “getting my feet wet with candied pecans”

1. Janis — October 24, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Cooking will always be there to go back to. Sometimes more important things get in the way. My husband would love these pecans. I will have to give them a try.

Glad your dad is doing better sweetie.

2. Barbara — October 24, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

How wonderful your Dad is on the improve.

I made maple candied walnuts recently. They were delicious. Candied nuts are relly nice mixed with roquefort cheese in a sandwich.

3. Carol Sacks — October 24, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

So glad to hear that your Father is doing better and that you’re feeling more like yourself again. Take good care of yourself!

4. DessertForTwo — October 24, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

So glad to hear you’re in the kitchen again and picking up your camera.

We’re still all sending love, prayers, thoughts, good wishes, great vibes your way 🙂

xoxo

5. Donna @ Cooking + Praying — October 24, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

Thanks for the inspiration–for the neighborhood holiday cookie/treat swap. Shhh. . . don’t tell.

Hope your dad pulls through soon and completely. I know what it’s like to sit and hold a father’s hand in the ICU. I’ve been there–my heart and prayers are with you.

6. Joan Hayes@chocolate and more — October 25, 2011 @ 8:35 am

So sorry to hear about your dad but glad he is doing better, will be praying for him. Here I Georgia, we are always looking for ways to serve up pecans, I have many versions of candied pecans but I haven’t seen one with the maple syrup. Will put this on my “must try” list for when pecans begin to drop this season!

7. Winnie — October 25, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I adore candied pecans, especially with that touch of spice from the cayenne. These are lovely, and I am glad your dad is doing better. xoxo

8. Gail — October 25, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Well, of course these pecans didn’t find their way to your Dad’s nurse. You had to do quality control and market research before any such gift could be made.

We’re so glad to hear that your Dad’s making such big strides!!!

xoxo

9. Barbara | Creative Culinary — October 25, 2011 @ 11:11 am

I always include some form of candied nuts in holiday gift baskets and these hit the right notes…just a subtle touch of heat with the sweet!

Good to hear things seem to have turned for the better with your Dad. Mine is so far away, as hard as it has been, at least be grateful you are close at hand during this crisis.

10. So glad to hear your father is making positive progress – that is certainly good news. Those pecans look and sound amazing. Must check out that cookbook.

11. Nutmeg Nanny — October 28, 2011 @ 12:09 am

I’m glad to see you got back into the kitchen. I’m also very happy to hear about your dad. Nightly prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way on a daily basis.

12. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 4, 2011 @ 8:24 am

The recipe looks great and your photos are beautiful, Merry!

13. Pingback: Candied Pecans « jaynerly

14. BC Pitcher — December 30, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Hello,

Truly sorry to read about your father on this first visit to your lovely website. Having lost my wonderful Dad to lung cancer, it weighs on my heart to read of another loving daughter holding her Dad’s hand and praying.

In response to a request on the spiced pecan recipe, you are, of COURSE, right; it is now, and always will be “pe-Kawns”. 😉

Both this recipe and the spice pecans are very similar to mine, the one twist you might want to try occasionally is to add a dash of tumeric to the spiced version. I occasionally add a tablespoon of Droste cacao powder to my candied pecan recipe – love the bittersweet cacao with the cayenne on the candied pecans (a lingering love for chocolate and chili powder combos from living in Santa Fe).

Do hope that your father continues to heal and know you are relieved that he is off the ventilator.
    best,