a new york city weekend

Back when I was in medical school, Sam and I won a trip to New York for the Dave Letterman Show. We were flown up on a chartered airplane along with a hundred or so others from Miami, all to be part of a Miami audience for the show. It was our first time in New York City, and it was a whirlwind. We attended the taping of the show, ate a slice of pizza for dinner, and took a bus tour the next morning. We had just an hour or so left to wander through Central Park, which was brimming with pastel-colored tulips at the time. And then we flew back to Miami. Although the trip only lasted about 24-hours, I fell in love with the city.

This weekend, we went to New York for our third time – just three nights quick nights – and it was glorious. I really needed some time away from home, and this weekend went a long way towards soothing my soul. I met friends that I’d only known through this amazing virtual world of food blogging and the magic that is Twitter. Gail, Jen and Mike, Jen, Jennie, Kim, Chris and Karen, Ken, and Winnie – such a wonderful group of people who were just as warm and genuine in person as I knew they would be. We greeted each other with hugs and it was like we’d known each other for years. I miss them already.

We also connected with our long-time friends Christy and Chad, and experienced a couple of their favorite cocktail spots plus an incredible teeny-tiny Italian restaurant where I tasted tripe for the first time in my life. And loved it, by the way.

central park

After only three hours of sleep last night, we took the earliest flight back to Atlanta, and then home to Florida where we peeled off our sweaters and wished we had worn shorts and flip flops. At home, we were greeted by Madeline and Oliver, who showered us with hugs and kisses and didn’t want to leave our laps.

Really, it was the perfect weekend.

[Note: For more information on the photos, clicking on a photo will take you to my Flickr photostream. Also, there would have been more photos, but I accidentally left my favorite point-and-shoot camera in the back of a taxi on Saturday night. Ouch, did that hurt.]

prune

bridesmaids in central park

early bloomers

my oven

cocktails at pegu

torrisi italian specialties

menu at torrisi

27 Responses to “the ifbc in new orleans, a wrap-up”

1. DessertForTwo — August 31, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

“This food blogging community is pretty damn great. It’s an honor and a blessing to be part of it.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself!

Glad you had fun! Thanks for telling us what you ate at each restaurant. I love details like that!

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

When will I get to see you again, by the way?

2. Dianne Jacob — August 31, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Great to see you in NOLA, Merry-Jennifer, and I enjoyed spending a little time with you. Your photos are just gorgeous! This conference seemed a little mellower than others I’ve been at recently, don’t you think?

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

It was wonderful to find the time to chat with you there, Dianne. I agree, the conference did have a wonderful, casual vibe. It felt intimate, and I loved that.

3. Wendy Read - Sunchowder — August 31, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

What an amazing post Jennifer! I also learned so much at the conference 🙂

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

It was so lovely to meet you there, Wendy!

4. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 31, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Mj – great post, brought back some wonderful memories of my trip last year. NOLA is fab. Wish I could have been three to hear you speak. You are truly an inspiration.

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Aw, you’re so sweet, Mardi. I wish you could have been in New Orleans, too. You’re overdue a hug.

5. PeeDeeFoodie — August 31, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Congrats on a wonderful wrap-up. Love the photos! This was our first conference, so we’re newbies to the community. Thanks for such a warm welcome.

Merry-Jennifer replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 7:10 am

It was wonderful meeting you there!

6. LiztheChef — August 31, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Thinking of coming to Santa Monica in mid-Nov for IFBC? I’m going…

Merry-Jennifer replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 7:09 am

I really wish I could, but I can’t get out there for those November dates.

7. Jamie — August 31, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

I fell in love with the city and was swept away by the amazing food and I so want to go back to NOLA again… But the conference, as you said, exceeded my expectations. I not only learned so much but was so inspired! (oh, boy, your session set me straight!) And I loved the ambiance. Everyone got along so beautifully. I am truly happy that I got to spend so much time with you, talking, laughing and getting to know each other and I hope that we stay in touch. And we still need to do a video project in claymation.

Merry-Jennifer replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Ha ha! Yes, claymation may be the way to go. 🙂

8. SweetSugarBelle — September 1, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

I just visited in January, and had such a wonderful time. It was truly beautiful, and despite the Katrina reminders, the culture overwhelmed me. I felt like I got a big happy NOLA hug the moment I arrived!

9. Ethan — September 1, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

great little recap of IFBC. Sounds like it went as it should be…the conference is simply a way for people to get together and become friends.

10. Liz @ Southern Charm — September 1, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Glad you had such a great time in my town and was able to experience all of the food! And there is so much more, which I’m sure you know, to try!

11. Gail — September 1, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

I’m so glad it was such good conference. How could it not have been in NOLA with such beautiful friends there to share it with.

12. Kevin (Closet Cooking) — September 2, 2011 @ 6:56 am

Nice recap and photos! I am now wishing that I was still there. 🙂 It was great meeting you and sharing an amazing meal at GW Finns!

13. Pingback: Top 10 Lessons from IFBC in New Orleans (& Lots of Links) | PeeDeeFoodie.com™

14. Paul (GetMeCooking) — September 3, 2011 @ 6:36 am

Nice writeup and photos! I’ll have to visit New orleans one day.

It’s nice to see what food bloggers from around the world are up to. I attended Food Blogger Connect in London, UK a few weeks ago http://www.getmecooking.com/blog/food-blogger-connect-2011-presenting-is-fun

15. Lora ~cakeduchess — September 3, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

What fun it was to meet you and share a delicious lunch that first day. Bourbon Street is loud and smelly and I’m thrilled I finally got to see it. So sorry I missed you speaking. I could use some of your tips:) Hope to see you again soon…we are practically neighbors;)

16. Maria Raynal — September 4, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Love your writeup. You captured the moments perfectly — some that I didn’t even catch, even though we were together almost the whole time. Perfect.

17. Liren — September 4, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Wonderful recap, I do wish I had been there as well. I am hoping to attend ICBC in Santa Monica this fall, fingers crossed!

18. Sheri Wetherell — September 9, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

It was so wonderful meeting you and having you part of our conference! You did a fantastic job! I agree, it was a nice, mellow conference! Perhaps that Southern grace got into everyone?! 🙂 Hope to see you again soon. XO

19. Pingback: Getting Paid for Recipes, One Year Later