saying hello to june and olive oil ice cream

Oh, my. It’s June already. Wasn’t it just January?

I’m sitting here in a mostly quiet house, waiting for my family to get home from swimming lessons. It’s not completely quiet, you see, because we have a new addition to the family. Our little 4-month old, a fluffy grey Maine Coon kitten named Maggie, is darting back and forth under my feet as I sit at this desk, chasing a little ball and chirping at me, trying to get my attention. And she’s definitely getting attention. While she will never replace our Fritz, I’ve already fallen in love with the crazy little thing. We’ve all fallen in love with her.

I’m looking forward to this month. I’m headed to Chicago this weekend, a trip I look forward to each year – not only because I get to sleep in a hotel room all to myself, but because I get to hug my sister for the first time in months. We’ll celebrate Father’s Day towards the middle of the month. We’re making a quick weekend trip to Disney, and we’re staying at one of the hotels that I’ve had my eye on for a while. My mother and her twin sister celebrate their birthday at the end of the month, on the same day that Sam and I will have been married for 14 years.

And one last little thing to start June off right – the new website design.  I was in the mood for some serious spring cleaning around here, and the talented Lindsay of Purr Design and the blog, Love & Olive Oil, is behind this beautiful makeover. We’ve been working together for the last couple of weeks, and I’ve been lucky enough to meet her in person twice over the past two months. Not only is she incredibly creative but she is completely adorable and sweet as sugar.

And this month of June? It’s going to be a good month.

*   *   *   *   *   *

olive oil ice cream | the merry gourmet

Speaking of olive oil, I made this olive oil ice cream over the weekend. If you’ve never had olive oil ice cream, you are missing out on quite a treat. I first had olive oil ice cream in Seattle last August when I was there for the IFBC. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did, but over the past several months, especially as the temperatures have climbed into the 80s and 90s, I have not been able to get it out of my mind. A quick internet search revealed that the easiest way to satisfy this craving was through David Lebovitz‘s recipe, found in his book, The Perfect Scoop.

The recipe requires a great olive oil – one with real fruitiness. If you use a cheap, bland olive oil, you’ll be really disappointed in the result. I had a free sample of Roland olive oil (sent to me by Roland Foods) that worked beautifully, resulting in a well-balanced, perfectly creamy and lightly sweetened ice cream.

Do yourself a favor. Make this ice cream.

olive oil ice cream | the merry gourmet

olive oil ice cream

1 1/3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1 cup heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup good olive oil

You can find the full recipe with directions here and you should really buy David Lebovitz's book.

24 Responses to “meyer lemon curd marbled cheesecake”

1. Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 3, 2011 @ 7:15 am

You said the magic word… cheesecake. And with meyer lemon thrown into the mix, I find myself drooling uncontrollably while looking at these wonderful pictures.

2. Belinda — January 3, 2011 @ 7:25 am

It was extremely yummy! I was there and had a slice! 🙂

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention meyer lemon curd marbled cheesecake | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

4. JulieD — January 3, 2011 @ 8:33 am

It looks wonderful and reminds me of a key lime cheesecake I once had…I think you inspired me to try to make it. I’m glad you got to spend more time with your family this holiday season. Happy New Year!

5. doctorbobster — January 3, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Nice essay and, as usual, beautifully photographed.

6. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — January 3, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

My all time favorite cheesecake has a lemon layer on top and I love the simplicity because I really prefer this dessert not loaded up with candy or chocolate but served as you have; with some fresh fruit.

I’m getting some Meyer Lemons; so excited…and think I have to make both the curd and this cheesecake for a Denver area bloggers meeting the end of this month; it’s doable for brunch right? 🙂

7. Kristina @ spabettie — January 3, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

two of my favorite things… anything Meyer Lemon and… cheesecake. this looks wonderful.

8. Liz the Chef — January 3, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

An instant addition to my Meyer lemon recipe collection!!!

9. Stephanie — January 3, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

That lemon curd is to die for so I can imagine how it must add to the cheesecake! Thanks for sharing!

10. Baking Barrister — January 3, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

I disagree with Brian up there: the magic wordS are “meyer lemon curd”–the cheesecake is just a bonus. This is going in my arsenal–and I’m whipping it out next time my brother requests lemon meringue pie because this has got to be a million times better.

11. Jennifer (Savor) — January 3, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

ohh….I NEED a slice!

12. Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef — January 3, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

I am weeping that I can’t have a Meyer lemon tree in the northeast… 🙁

13. megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 3, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

This sounds like the perfect cheesecake! So light and fresh. Looks beautiful!

14. ~Citra~ — January 4, 2011 @ 5:09 am

O o o o … What a yummy scrumptious good looking piece ! I should try this recipe soon ^_^

15. Joy — January 4, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I love love meyer lemons. That looks so good.

16. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate — January 5, 2011 @ 6:46 am

Meyer lemons are one of my favorites. Sweet and tart, this year the cold has intensified the flavor of the citrus so they will make your already wonderful cheesecake pop! Good luck with the calibrations, I truly empathize.

17. Heather (The Menu Mama) — January 5, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

This looks amazing. Also, your chocolate chip cookie picture at the top of your blog is a bad influence. I’m seriously trying to resist the urge to run to the kitchen and whip up a batch of cookies right now.

18. briarrose — January 5, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Oh wonderful lemon cheesecake. Beautiful job. This looks fresh and lovely.

19. Pingback: Meyer lemon almond cake | the merry gourmet

20. Pingback: Citrus Curd - Three Ways | Lemon Curd, Lime Curd and Grapefruit Curd | Good Life Eats

21. Pingback: the little kitchen » Dandy Meyer Lemons and a KitchenAid 5 Qt. Stand Mixer Giveaway

22. Pingback: Orange Curd Recipe | How to Make Orange Curd | Good Life Eats

23. Pingback: Coconut Lemon Curd Recipe | How to Make Lemon Curd | Good Life Eats

24. Maggie Winter — October 9, 2013 @ 12:00 am

I’ve just made this cheesecake tonight, it is so good and such an easy recipe to follow, I’m going to explore your site more thanks so much.