my austin experience, an iphoneography photo tour

My first trip to Austin was filled with plenty of meetings on gynecologic cancers, a decent amount of networking with some very smart people, productive brainstorming of ideas for work, and plenty of rest. I didn’t have a car, so my time there was limited to what I could explore in the downtown area on foot – except for one night when a good friend took me out for dinner.

I present to you my iPhone photos (mostly) of my Austin experience. My experience, other than meetings? Food.

a cocktail at parkside -- the korean spring

fried oysters at parkside.

the meeting

a portrait of me by my friend, Christy, taken at Olivia.

charcuterie at Olivia.

a darn good margarita at la condesa

guacamole tasting

brussels sprouts with bacon and grapes. best sprouts. ever.

cream cheese ice cream

tacos with spinach, giant white butterbeans, salsa verde

10 Responses to “travel, a reading list, and a smoked salmon appetizer”

1. Jason Phelps — June 3, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

I’m new to smoked salmon for at least consuming it. I’ve know of it for some time but I just couldn’t get over the fact that many selections just don’t look cooked. I tried some in Seattle last week and found it to be much more like cooked salmon in appearance and with a nice smokiness that made me sure it wasn’t raw. What should I be expecting when I go looking for this treat? What other ways might I use it?

Enjoy your trip!

Jason

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — June 3rd, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Jason – I found my smoked salmon in the grocery, near the seafood section. It’s prepackaged in little 4 ounce flat packages, ready to be sliced. You could use it as a pizza topping, pair it with eggs, pair it with goat cheese…the possibilities are endless!

2. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — June 3, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Love Megan and Jennie’s sites too – now will add the third to my Reader too!!! Bon voyage!

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention This post is for you. Well not really, but you'll get my drift. :) -- Topsy.com

4. Jennie — June 3, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Merry Jennifer—thanks for keeping me in such good company, and your support constantly adds a ray of sunshine to my day. I can’t wait to finally meet you this October. Have a great time in Chicago!

5. Liren — June 4, 2010 @ 1:18 am

Merry Jennifer, you are the sweetest! I am so honored to be placed in wonderful company, and I am grateful that you have introduced me to wonderful reads to add to my reader! Have a safe and fun trip to Chicago – this is a beautiful time of year to visit. I have such a soft spot for that fantastic city.

Oh, and smoked salmon + chips? Genius.

6. Magic of Spice — June 4, 2010 @ 1:55 am

This is a wonderful appetizer/snack 🙂 Love, love smoked salmon (actually all salmon) and this is a delightful treat:)

7. s. stockwell — June 4, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Great post! We loved Chicago on our last visit. Great architecture and style everywhere. Thanks and best from Santa Barbara. s

8. jen cheung — June 4, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

hellllllllllo there! found you on foodbuzz! 🙂 your page is lovely! feel free to drop by my page when you have the time! thanks a bunch.

jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

9. This looks delicious 🙂 Chicago is such a ball– have a great time, despite the work obligations.

So happy to have found your site!