slow cooker steel cut oats

steel cut oats

I made these overnight in my trusty slow-cooker. They’re made with steel cut oats, maple syrup, golden raisins, dried cranberries, and a touch of salt and cinnamon. A great breakfast to wake up to. And since my husband dislikes oatmeal, I get to enjoy this for breakfast the rest of the week.

Note: clicking on the photo takes you to Flickr.

21 Responses to “a spirit-lifting banana bread”

1. Elizabeth — October 12, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband, and hope he’s on the mend soon. A sudden, dramatic change like that can affect so many things in the workings of a family, and it’s no wonder it had you feeling so off. This banana bread, looks completely amazing. It clearly has some serious powers, and I can’t wait to harness them in my own kitchen.

2. Frances — October 12, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

That banana bread looks wonderful. Wish I could smell it!

So sorry to hear about your husband’s injury. For your peace of mind re the epidural injection he received, the CDC has information by state of the facilities that received the lots of Methylprednisolone Acetate (PF) recalled from New England Compounding Center on September 26, 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/hai/outbreaks/meningitis-facilities-map.html

Wishing him the best,
    Frances

Merry-Jennifer replied: — October 13th, 2012 @ 8:17 am

Thank you, Frances! Luckily, the facility that he went to was not on that list. We’re very, very thankful.

3. Sheri — October 13, 2012 @ 1:28 am

Baking is a great comfort – I feel so bad for Sam! Back injuries are frustrating and painful! I tore a disc four years ago. Two years of Pilates and physical therapy and three epidurals, I still have to be very careful with my back. I hope he feels better soon.

4. Km — October 13, 2012 @ 2:33 am

Love banana bread! You should trythe one from Cooking Light sometime. I think it is coconut banana bread with lime glaze or something of that nature. Dark rum in the glaze and bread…it never lasts long around here and my kids gobble it up!!

5. Km — October 13, 2012 @ 2:36 am

Oh, and tell Sam I was in his shoes over last Christmas. I feel his pain and agree it sucks to be in pain but even more to have limitations we aren’t used to! All I can say is Cortisone rocks!! I go in for another shot at the end of the month.

6. cathy @ Noble Pig — October 13, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Nothing like a loaf to pick you right up! Yummy!

7. Chloe — October 13, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

My husband had back surgery 3 years ago -it was the only answer, he had broken disc pieces which pinched a nerve causing excruciating pain. His immediate problem was solved by the surgery but the circumstances surrounding such an event are ongoing. In his case it was age related. He’s in his late 60’s. It does change your outlook. I feel very sympathetic to your husband and truly hope that he will become pain- free with proper treatment. Baking is a wonderful solace. I’m glad you have that as it will probably help your whole family. And I want to try your banana bread. I love sour cream!

8. Kathryn — October 14, 2012 @ 5:48 am

I’m so sorry that the two of you have had to miss so many things that you were looking forward to; life has a way of throwing us these curveballs doesn’t it?

I hope he will soon be on the mend and, in the meantime, you can find some peace in the kitchen.

9. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen — October 14, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

I am so sorry to hear about these tough times your little family is going through.. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Wonderful banana bread comfort here!!

10. Deb — October 15, 2012 @ 11:51 am

When I am restless, sad or filled with anxiety I find that when I busy my hands creating (just the act of getting started) my mind usually follows and the pattern is broken. I suppose that is why baking is commonly mentioned as therapy. And your Banana Bread certainly is a delicious way to ease into a place of comfort!

11. girlnapurpledress@gmail.com — October 15, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

I simply adore banana cake and must say due to the milk, egg, wheat & soy free type baking that I try to do, I have never tried banana cake with sour cream.. mmm, sounds delicious

12. Katie (The Muffin Myth) — October 15, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

Back injuries are the worst! I’ve had my fair share of back problems over the years, and my mom has now had three reconstructive surgeries on her spine. I know what you mean about how frustrating it is to watch someone in pain and missing out on things they love.

Glad this banana bread lifted your spirits! It looks great, I especially like that it doesn’t have too much fat or sugar in it, compared to many banana bread recipes. I’ve bookmarked it to give it a try.

13. Sheila — October 15, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

So sorry to hear about your husband. I wish him a speedy recovery. I can relate to how you feel my son had back surgery in February. They put in a prodisc to replace his bad disc
    The banana bread looks wonderful

14. Sue Riedl — October 16, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Thanks for such a heartfelt and candid post. I am going to make your banana bread right now (RIGHT NOW), but the post itself was as inspiring as the recipe. You guys are certainly going through some rough times, I wish you all the best and hope the road back to health is smooth and paved with wonderful cooking.

15. autumn — October 17, 2012 @ 6:25 am

A perfect loaf of banana bread is an important thing! For both culinary and spiritual reasons. My thoughts are with you and your family.

16. Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily — October 22, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

I’m sorry to hear that I know it’s heartbreaking to watch someone you love suffer.
    If he does have to have surgery I can tell you that it helps quite a bit with the pain (I assist in those surgeries all the time).
    Banana bread is one of my all time fav things, nuts and all 😉

17. Kellie G — November 10, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your husband! Hope he’s doing better now. I have the bread baking in the oven now, though I “veganized” the recipe. Can’t wait til it’s done. The batter alone smells amazing! 🙂

18. Pingback: Happy 1st Birthday, HGG! - Continental Food Recipes

19. Pingback: The Merry Gourmet banana chocolate chip cupcakes with honey cream cheese frosting

20. Pingback: chocolate chip banana cake | the merry gourmet