slow cooker steel cut oats

steel cut oats

I made these overnight in my trusty slow-cooker. They’re made with steel cut oats, maple syrup, golden raisins, dried cranberries, and a touch of salt and cinnamon. A great breakfast to wake up to. And since my husband dislikes oatmeal, I get to enjoy this for breakfast the rest of the week.

Note: clicking on the photo takes you to Flickr.

9 Responses to “poached egg over brioche with pistou”

1. JillEDuffy — March 10, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Isn’t everything better with a runny egg on top? I have been practicing my poaching skills for 2 years now, and it’s still a bit hit or miss. The vinegar trick helps tremendously (add a splash of wine or red wine vinegar to the simmering water before dropping the egg to help it coagulate).

• merrygourmet replied: — March 10th, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Ooh – I’ll have to try the vinegar next time. I’ve read about that and totally forgot to incorporate it here.

2. Leigh (Modern Mommy) — March 10, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

I’ll gladly take pictures for you. I’ll accept payment in the form of food. 😉

• merrygourmet replied: — March 12th, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

I may have to take you up on that sometime!

3. jenmenke — March 12, 2010 @ 11:17 am

looks so good. I have a funny story. I was trying to make a meal of ramen-type japanese curry noodles into more of a meal for lunch this weekend when I was sick and thought “poached egg!” (I, too, had never poached an egg before. It was a disaster with all the other stuff in the broth, so I quickly stirred it up and turned it into more of an “eggdrop soup”. Funny that I should read this just days after!

4. merrygourmet — March 12, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Sounds like you improvised nicely, Jen. 🙂

5. Tiny Urban Kitchen — March 17, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

Runny eggs over toast – the best combination! Occasionally I will ask my husband to take pictures of me while I’m cooking (because I don’t have three hands!). Other times I contort in funny angles in order to try and take the photo with my left hand while my right hand is cooking. Not easy!

• merrygourmet replied: — March 17th, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

It’s a challenge when you only have two arms. I need to invest in a tripod – that will help, I think. In the meantime, I’m using my husband as the all-purpose helper. 🙂

6. Pingback: celebrating year one: chocolate stout cake | the merry gourmet