slow cooker steel cut oats

steel cut oats

I made these overnight in my trusty slow-cooker. They’re made with steel cut oats, maple syrup, golden raisins, dried cranberries, and a touch of salt and cinnamon. A great breakfast to wake up to. And since my husband dislikes oatmeal, I get to enjoy this for breakfast the rest of the week.

Note: clicking on the photo takes you to Flickr.

20 Responses to “birthday parties & spiced maple roasted bacon”

1. julia — April 18, 2011 @ 10:29 am

So you come to my kids’ birthday parties for the mimosas? Or because my kids refuse to have a birthday party in a gym (despite the fact that I keep begging them to…)? Thanks for letting us stop by on Saturday. I knew I should have stuck around. Mmmmm. Bacon. Looks delicious. How do you manage to even make a jar of cinnamon look delicious?

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 18th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

I come to your kids’ parties for (1) the mimosas, (2) no gym with required socks that always get lost in the ball pits, and (3) to finally spend time with you outside of work. And, you are always free to use my toilets. 🙂

2. Leigh — April 18, 2011 @ 10:34 am

1. The bacon looks amazing. 2. This is why I served sangria at H’s party. 😉

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 18th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

You always have the right beverage on hand. This is just one of the thousands of reasons we will always be great friends.

3. Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 18, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I definitely had a gymnastics party growing up. It was a lot of fun… but, yeah, it’s kind of weird.

You deserved some time off… glad you enjoyed it!

4. Macaroni Mama — April 18, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Great looking bacon. What an original idea of something good to roast!

5. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — April 18, 2011 @ 11:29 am

yum! Sounds so good!

6. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — April 18, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Your story brought back memories…of just how much I hated those parties too. I was a real pain when my kids were little; we always had parties at our home with a cake I made and they were disappointed I would NEVER do one of those loud gym things. Until they grew up and now it seems their memories of those days are warmer and fuzzier; ah…one time Mother Knew Best.

I have to try this bacon; I make an appetizer that I love which has bacon wrapped around a pretzel rod and adorned with sweet and hot components…but now I don’t have to mess with the excuse of a party; this sounds divine.

7. Jenn S. — April 18, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Ugh, you and I hate kids’ parties for the exact same reasons!! Too bad our kids aren’t the same age. We could huddle in the corner, talk about people we know (and don’t know!), and drink spiked punch! LOL Now, tell me, what do you do with that dee-lish-us bacon? Just snack on it or put it in or on something?! I’d be fine just to snack on it, but I was wondering if you did other creative things with it. Hello to everyone @ your house! 🙂

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 19th, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Jenn – I had the best BLT ever with that bacon. I also crumbled some and added it to baked eggs. But snacking is always a great idea. 🙂

8. Maris (In Good Taste) — April 18, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

That bacon looks exactly the way I like it. I think you and Madeline got the better end of the deal!

9. Jim T — April 18, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

That bacon looks amazing! The birthday parties I remember were always ice skating parties. They should’ve handed out pillows for our bums after falling so much.

I LOVE your spice jars. Wherever did you get them?

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 19th, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Jim – The spice jars are Libbey Vibe jars. I’ve found them at a place called the Jar Store (online) or at Amazon.

10. Paula - bell'alimento — April 18, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Swoon. I loved baked bacon, and we are so in sync I just posted about my sweet & spicy bacon this past weekend…& yeah gym parties are NO fun ; )

11. Gail — April 18, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

MJ, you’re so on to something….boozy birthday parties. Happy parents make for happy kids!
    Oh, and the bacon looks delicious, too!

12. Michelle Ledesma — April 18, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

I always sent Hubby to “those” parties, too! He’s much better at “mingling” than I am. 😉
    Your description is spot on, and I appreciate your honesty.

That bacon is drool worthy! I look forward to incorporating such dishes back into my cooking routine when the time comes…in moderation of course.

13. Mauna — April 18, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

I recently got to experience Chicago’s 2nd annual Baconfest. This recipe would have been the perfect way to start that morning!

I, too, am in awe of the spice jars.

14. Lana — April 19, 2011 @ 4:07 am

The advantage of having a party at your home is that you can have a mimosa, or a cosmo, or a mojito, without worrying. There has to be something alcoholic to soften the shrieks and screeches of 22 and 12 year old girls:)
    I used to love “Discovery Zone” – they had a parent room, which was sound-proof:) That was my favorite place to be at kiddies’ B-Day parties:)

15. Cookin' Canuck — April 19, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Plain old bacon is one of my weaknesses. I’m worried that if I tasted your version I might never stop eating it.

I’m with you on the birthday party thing. The parties that I really dread are the ones in an arcade of some sort. Within a half-hour I have a headache and can’t get out of there fast enough.

16. Jennifer (Savor) — April 20, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Funny reading this now as I am planning a was-not-supposed-to-have-one-this-year bday party for my daughter this Friday. A casual ‘spa’ them but still takes on a life of it’s own.

I think some roasted bacon will help!