the experiment: avocado and mango salsa

I’m always on the hunt to find foods that I think my kids will eat – and eat happily without a lot of whining and complaining. Of course, that stipulation makes it very challenging to be successful. I heard recently that a friend of mine had some luck with getting her kids to eat mango, so I decided to give it a whirl – a little experiment, you might say. We don’t typically buy mango, and I can’t say my kids had ever eaten the fruit prior to this. It’s not a fruit that I grew up with, so I don’t gravitate towards it in the grocery store.

Instead of just chopping up mango as a snack, though, I wanted to use it as a side dish with dinner. I found a recipe from Bon Appètit for an avocado and mango salsa, and I decided to go for it. My son loves guacamole, so I figured this would be a no brainer.

I mostly followed the recipe as it was written, but to make it a little more friendly to the children’s palates, I reduced the amount of jalapeño in the dish. Instead of dicing one entire jalapeño, I used a little less than half of the jalapeño. I threw this together relatively quickly while I was preparing and cooking some grouper to serve the salsa with, so my diced vegetables were more on the lines of coarsely chopped. Unfortunately, the avocado was a bit too ripe, so the pieces of avocado didn’t keep their shape as much as I would have liked.

But, when it was completed, I thought it was a delicious salsa. Not pretty, but very tasty – with a nice balance of sweetness and some kick from the jalapeño.

I served the salsa over some sauteed grouper. And, just on the off chance the kids decided they didn’t like the avocado and mango salsa, I made some oven fries to go along with it.

Turns out that it’s a good thing I made those potatoes. Madeline took one bite of an avocado piece in the salsa and refused to eat any more of it. And in his typical 3-year old fashion, Oliver refused to eat it because it was green.

So, while the salsa was not quite the popular side dish I’d hoped it would be, the grouper and the oven fries were the clear winners of the meal. I’m not giving up on getting the kids to eat mango and avocado yet, though. I can’t be beaten that easily.

Avocado & Mango Salsa

Only slightly adapted from this recipe from Bon Appètit on Epicurious. I used less jalapeño than the original recipe called for, and I also forgot the mint. It tasted just fine without it, actually.

1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 large shallot, chopped
1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Kosher salt

Mix all ingredients in bowl and season to taste with salt. Cover and chill. Can be made up to two hours before serving.

16 Responses to “roasted apricot scones”

1. 1
    Heather @ The Single Dish — August 5, 2010 @ 9:48 am

I don’t think I have ever had a fresh apricot either! I love the dried ones. I am going to try to make apricot jam and these scones would be perfect with that!

2. 2
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 5, 2010 @ 11:06 am

I’m not crazy about dried apricots but I can’t get enough fresh ones. In fact, I tend to eat so many that I get a little tummy ache. 🙁 This looks right up my alley. I’m definitely going to have to try this out. 🙂

3. 3
    foodies at home — August 5, 2010 @ 11:27 am

I’m so glad you finally experienced fresh apricots! Your scones look so great! Beautifully done!

4. 4
    Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — August 5, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Great compromise between using dried or fresh. Just having had my own virgin experience making scones, I know exactly how satisfying it feels…and these look delish. Now wondering how easy it is to find fresh apricots here…I don’t think they’re in huge abundance in Denver either but it’s peach time and maybe I’ll try those.

5. 5
    Macaroni Mama — August 5, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Sounds like a wonderful breakfast or snack. I’m not fond of fresh apricots either, and then I realized I’ve never had a fresh one either.

6. 6
    tina — August 5, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

I love apricots and scones! Yours sound delicious!

7. 7
    Adelina — August 5, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

I am big on apricots, specially if they are grown right and are super sweet. When I saw your post, I thought apricot scone – nice. Then I read the part roasted apricot scone and said “YUM”. This looks great. I am glad you’re not longer a virgin. lol

8. 8
    Mrs. Larkin — August 5, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Love this! Great idea with the roasting. I don’t use dried apricots very much because most contain sulfites, and organic dried are an ugly brown. I love that the pretty orange color is retained after roasting!

9. 9
    Gail — August 5, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

I love apricots, I love scones, an I love this blog. And, the blogger!

10. Pingback: Tweets that mention roasted apricot scones | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

11. 10
    Andra@FrenchPressMemos — August 6, 2010 @ 12:23 am

Can I suggest your next step in your fresh and prepped apricot adventures? Preserves- 4 cups apricots, 1 1/2 cup sugar, juice of one lemon. Blend, stew, stir until it thickens to your desired consistency (I like mine soupier). Lemon juice goes in at the end. You will love it 🙂

The scones look outrageous!

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 6th, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Andra – GREAT suggestion! I don’t know why I didn’t think of making my own preserves. Duh. 🙂

12. Pingback: the merry gourmet shop is open! | the merry gourmet

13. 11
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 19, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I made these with Les Petits Chefs last year and used dried apricots. Your version with roasted apricots is intriguing though – would love to try.

14. 12
    Pretty. Good. Food. — September 1, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Oh man this looks delicious! Everything here looks so yummy! And your photographs are beautiful!
    I recently launched my own blog http://www.prettygoodfood.com I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks and Happy Cooking!

15. 13
    Sasha — April 20, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

Wow, these scones look fantastic…what I would do for a warm one right now…*drool*