the experiment: avocado and mango salsa

I’m always on the hunt to find foods that I think my kids will eat – and eat happily without a lot of whining and complaining. Of course, that stipulation makes it very challenging to be successful. I heard recently that a friend of mine had some luck with getting her kids to eat mango, so I decided to give it a whirl – a little experiment, you might say. We don’t typically buy mango, and I can’t say my kids had ever eaten the fruit prior to this. It’s not a fruit that I grew up with, so I don’t gravitate towards it in the grocery store.

Instead of just chopping up mango as a snack, though, I wanted to use it as a side dish with dinner. I found a recipe from Bon Appètit for an avocado and mango salsa, and I decided to go for it. My son loves guacamole, so I figured this would be a no brainer.

I mostly followed the recipe as it was written, but to make it a little more friendly to the children’s palates, I reduced the amount of jalapeño in the dish. Instead of dicing one entire jalapeño, I used a little less than half of the jalapeño. I threw this together relatively quickly while I was preparing and cooking some grouper to serve the salsa with, so my diced vegetables were more on the lines of coarsely chopped. Unfortunately, the avocado was a bit too ripe, so the pieces of avocado didn’t keep their shape as much as I would have liked.

But, when it was completed, I thought it was a delicious salsa. Not pretty, but very tasty – with a nice balance of sweetness and some kick from the jalapeño.

I served the salsa over some sauteed grouper. And, just on the off chance the kids decided they didn’t like the avocado and mango salsa, I made some oven fries to go along with it.

Turns out that it’s a good thing I made those potatoes. Madeline took one bite of an avocado piece in the salsa and refused to eat any more of it. And in his typical 3-year old fashion, Oliver refused to eat it because it was green.

So, while the salsa was not quite the popular side dish I’d hoped it would be, the grouper and the oven fries were the clear winners of the meal. I’m not giving up on getting the kids to eat mango and avocado yet, though. I can’t be beaten that easily.

Avocado & Mango Salsa

Only slightly adapted from this recipe from Bon Appètit on Epicurious. I used less jalapeño than the original recipe called for, and I also forgot the mint. It tasted just fine without it, actually.

1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 large shallot, chopped
1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Kosher salt

Mix all ingredients in bowl and season to taste with salt. Cover and chill. Can be made up to two hours before serving.

18 Responses to “tailgate food: guacamole dip with fresh corn”

1. Susi — August 24, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

We love anything Avocado and I make guacamole all the time! This is a great twist on a classic. Love it :o)

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 24, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

Love homemade guacamole! I’m so tired of having people serve that pureed stuff you buy at the store. Makes me gag a little. This, however, is perfection… and the perfect recipe to make before the summer ends.

3. Baking Serendipity — August 24, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

I’m dying for it to be football season already too! This would be an awesome dip to serve at a party 🙂 I love the addition of corn.

4. Carol (CGtheFoodie) — August 24, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

That dip looks great! I can just imagine accidentally grabbing the chipotles when I am half awake and feeding the cats… 🙂

5. Lauren — August 25, 2010 @ 7:38 am

I simply adore avocados, and have experimented with many different add-ins to guacamole… but I’ve never tried fresh corn. Brilliant idea! I also like that you used some Greek yogurt (a favorite of mine) to lighten up the dip a bit. Can’t wait to make this.

6. RavieNomNoms — August 25, 2010 @ 9:41 am

YUM!

7. May Ling Wu — August 25, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Great way to use up all that summer corn!

8. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — August 25, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

You can call it guacamole or you can call it guacamole dip. To me, I think I’ll just call it good! I recently made a corn salsa that I could serve this with. Would need two spoons; hold the chips.

9. Lisa McB. — August 25, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Perfect timing–I just bought fresh avocados and limes; everything else I have. Off to the kitchen I go!

10. Gail — August 25, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

I am kicking myself that I never thought of putting fresh corn in guacamole. This looks seriously delicious. And, I have a car w/a tailgate. Forget the game, let’s just eat!

11. Tristan — August 26, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Wow – this guac looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it out.

12. Glenn — August 27, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Going to make this tonight. This will be a great addition to our jam session/cookout! The fresh corn is a great idea. I’ll be looking for the Silver Queen. My brother and I used to eat it uncooked all the time back in the day :~)

13. Chris — August 29, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Oh yeah, football is underway. These days our football food is less geared toward tailgating and more focused on fueling our 11 y/o who is playing his second year. 5 days of practice and/or games a week is making him a bottomless pit! I can’t throw enough food at him.

This guac looks very good, I’ve never tried corn in mine. Great looking color in that photo.

14. SMITH BITES — August 29, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

I have to sheepishly admit that I’ve never tailgated in my entire life! But now that niece Avery is attending Indiana University, the family is considering tailgating and then watching the game – this would be perfect!

15. Sara — August 29, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

I am right there with you on the Greek yogurt, but the corn?!?! I’ve not ever had guac with corn, but I’d like to try it. I bet the corn adds that perfect bit of sweet that I just love.

16. Lauren — August 31, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

I made this last night, and it was fantastic! The fresh raw corn added the perfect amount of crunch and sweetness to the creamy guacamole. Thanks for a great recipe!

17. Aggie — May 4, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

YES! I have such a hard time not making traditional guac everytime I get a craving, but I would sway for this. I am loving the fresh corn in this!!

I want to live in Gainesville.

• mj (merry gourmet)