beach vacation sangria

Guess what? I’m home! We’ve spent the last week at Disney World for a few nights and then at the beach at Palm Coast, over on the eastern coast of Florida. I have lots and lots of photos to share with you, but first things first. I have a sangria recipe that I simply must share. Right now.

We stayed at a lovely condo at the beach – three bedrooms, washer and dryer, beautiful kitchen. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to bring many of our pantry staples, and there really wasn’t much already there beyond salt and pepper and some paper towels. Not wanting to restock the fridge and pantry for such a short time, I was limited on what I could prepare. And then, in a moment of brilliance, I thought of it. Sangria. I could make sangria! Sure, it’s not really FOOD, but hey – who cares?

So, sangria it was. It was very good the first day – cool, refreshing, with just the right amount of sweetness. Not so good the second day. From the sangria-making experience I learned two lessons. First, this sangria shouldn’t be made more than one day in advance. Second, we clearly don’t drink all that much since we had leftovers on day two.

Sangria

For the red wine, use something inexpensive but tasty. I used an under-$10 bottle from the local grocery store - Red Truck California Red Wine. For the orange liqueur, you can use Cointreau or triple sec. I used triple sec for this recipe.

1 lime
1 lemon
1 orange
1 Granny Smith apple
1 750 mL bottle red wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup orange liqueur (I used triple sec.)
12 ounces lemon lime soda (I used Sprite.)

Slice the lemon, lime, and orange into thin slices and then cut the slices into wedge-shaped pieces. Core and slice the apple into wedges. Add the fruit to a large pitcher, then add the wine, orange juice, and orange liqueur. Stir and refrigerate well until chilled. Just prior to serving, add the lemon lime soda. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.

22 Responses to “the food blog forum orlando, disney edition”

1. Paula- bell'alimento — March 21, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

It was such a great weekend MJ! LOVED seeing you as always! xoxo

2. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — March 21, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Spoken like a true champ!! Bummer that we only hugged it out and never really spent enough time gossiping!

Next time for sure 😀

Congrats on the mixer!!!

3. Carol Sacks — March 21, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

I have a big smile on my face after reading your post! Sounds like a nourishing weekend and lots of fun, too. And, you look great, MJ!

4. Mal @ The Chic Geek — March 21, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

This sounds like such a fabulous time!

5. Kathryn — March 21, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

It sounds so much fun, I’ve loved seeking everyone’s photos and posts!

6. Macaroni Mama — March 21, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Nice!

7. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — March 22, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Looks like so much fun, and congrats on the mixer!

8. Noble Pig - Cathy — March 22, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Beautiful post…can’t wait to go next year!

9. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — March 22, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

Oh it was SO Much fun hanging out with you and your fabulous family and I wouldn’t have traded walking through Epcot with you and the Kitchen Aid for anything in the world XOX

10. Wanda — March 23, 2012 @ 7:33 am

You are a funny writer, love it. We had an amazing weekend and the best part was that we got to share it our family. Having my girls there with me made the event even more special! Great recap! Hope to be able to spend more time with you next time me meet. Are you attending any other blog event?

Merry-Jennifer replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

Wanda – I’ll be at TechMunch in Tampa and at Big Summer Potluck!

11. Cathy — March 23, 2012 @ 8:56 am

love the picture of you, mardi, and the mixer!!

12. Pingback: Food Blog Forum Orlando 2012 — r e c i p e b ♥ x

13. Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 25, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

I am just seeing this post now. Congratulations on winning the mixer! How exciting!!!

So glad you had such a fabulous time!

14. Aggie — March 27, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

I’m a little behind on my reading…I have a huge smile on my face right now. Hanging with you & your fam was a highlight! You were such a rockstar with that mixer at Epcot 🙂

Merry-Jennifer replied: — March 28th, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Aggie – thanks for snapping that photo! SO good to see you in Orlando.

15. Pingback: the little kitchen » Food Blog Forum Orlando 2012 at Walt Disney World

16. Sunny — March 28, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Congrats on the mixer, can’t wait to add one of those to my collection when I get my kitchen remodeled! Yours is the first entry I’ve read about attending a blog conference. I’ve registered for IFBC in Portland OR this August, and am really looking forward to it! Thank you for sharing this story.

17. Pingback: Foodblogforum recap « Zaika Zabardast

18. Adam and Joanne — April 4, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Nice prize! Can’t wait to see all of the posts with the mixer in the background 🙂 Wish we were there…maybe next year!

19. Pingback: Food Blog Forum Orlando/Walt Disney World 2012 | Aggie's Kitchen

20. MommyNamedApril — April 24, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

so very bummed i missed it this year!