beach vacation sangria

Guess what? I’m home! We’ve spent the last week at Disney World for a few nights and then at the beach at Palm Coast, over on the eastern coast of Florida. I have lots and lots of photos to share with you, but first things first. I have a sangria recipe that I simply must share. Right now.

We stayed at a lovely condo at the beach – three bedrooms, washer and dryer, beautiful kitchen. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to bring many of our pantry staples, and there really wasn’t much already there beyond salt and pepper and some paper towels. Not wanting to restock the fridge and pantry for such a short time, I was limited on what I could prepare. And then, in a moment of brilliance, I thought of it. Sangria. I could make sangria! Sure, it’s not really FOOD, but hey – who cares?

So, sangria it was. It was very good the first day – cool, refreshing, with just the right amount of sweetness. Not so good the second day. From the sangria-making experience I learned two lessons. First, this sangria shouldn’t be made more than one day in advance. Second, we clearly don’t drink all that much since we had leftovers on day two.

Sangria

For the red wine, use something inexpensive but tasty. I used an under-$10 bottle from the local grocery store - Red Truck California Red Wine. For the orange liqueur, you can use Cointreau or triple sec. I used triple sec for this recipe.

1 lime
1 lemon
1 orange
1 Granny Smith apple
1 750 mL bottle red wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup orange liqueur (I used triple sec.)
12 ounces lemon lime soda (I used Sprite.)

Slice the lemon, lime, and orange into thin slices and then cut the slices into wedge-shaped pieces. Core and slice the apple into wedges. Add the fruit to a large pitcher, then add the wine, orange juice, and orange liqueur. Stir and refrigerate well until chilled. Just prior to serving, add the lemon lime soda. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.

13 Responses to “silent sunday: scenes from rosemary beach”

1. Leigh — July 31, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

I’m going to take you along to photo-document all of my vacations from now on. I had no idea you were taking such gorgeous pictures the whole time! I had a blast and miss it already!

2. Liren — July 31, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Utterly charming…looks like a wonderful time! And mouthwatering, too – that chocolate dipped bacon is calling my name.

Welcome home!

3. tami — July 31, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Photos of things like a frosty glass of Rose, a bottle of Brancott (there’s one currently in my fridge), shrimp & grits and boiled peanuts has confirmed to me that you are, in fact, related to me. 🙂

So glad to have a chance to share in your wonderful week – thanks for letting us all have a glimpse at your photos.

xoxo

– t*

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 1st, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

We need to be spending more time together. Seriously.

4. WOW – that looks like the perfect place to take a vacation!! I am noting this one for a place to visit. Your photos are great and the food looks fantastic. That chocolate covered bacon is just simply over the top, but in a good way. 🙂

5. Amy — July 31, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

Beautiful photos! I can’t wait to get to the beach 🙂

6. tina — August 1, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Beautiful! Could this be the place for our next family reunion?

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 1st, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

That would be a dream! If we can convince everyone, I’m certain I can find a good house, at a good value.

7. Cooks_Books — August 2, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

The beach … the food … the architecture … the beach. Simply from looking at your photos, I feel like I just took a mini-vacation. Thanks!

8. sweetsugarbelle — August 2, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

Looks like heaven. Mouth watering he whole time! Except boiled peanuts. My bf from Pensacola loves them but I think they taste like half cooked beans lol. Headed to Flickr to enjoy more 🙂

9. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 4, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Oh how I could use some time like this! Looks so rejuvenating!

10. Pingback: the fleeting summer and a recipe: balsamic roasted summer vegetables | The Merry Gourmet

11. paula hennig — August 13, 2011 @ 8:50 am

The secret is out now! There’s no place quite like the Emerald Coast and I’m lucky enough to live nearby. The shrimp and grits a ya ya at Great Southern are to die for…