in celebration of vacations: mango mint margarita & a reading list

Aaaahhh.

Did you hear that? I’m breathing a sigh of relief. A BIG sigh of relief, actually, because I’m finally getting some much needed rest and relaxation after a busy several weeks at work. This vacation seems to have been a long time coming.

In celebration of vacations and because today is Friday, let’s have a cocktail, shall we?

These beautiful mangoes called to me at Publix, and I’ve learned that when an ingredient calls, I have no choice but to listen. Mango margaritas seemed like a great use for the tropical fruit. When I made it with a simple syrup infused with mint, this margarita rocked.

The family and I are soon headed off to party with Mickey and Goofy and relax on a lovely oil-free beach on Florida’s east coast. Before I go, though, I want to share with you some recent blogs that I’ve been enjoying. So, make yourself a mango margarita, and take a peek at these sites:

• Honest Fare is a gorgeous food blog written by Gabi, just down the road in Orlando, Florida. Her conversational-style writing is just lovely to read, and her photography is amazing. I’m entranced by her beautifully rustic plum galette.
  • Written by 24-year old Taylor from North Carolina, Taylor Takes a Taste is just filled to the brim with amazing food photography. Taylor documents his travels with photos of the most mouth-watering burgers and hot dogs and sweets that he finds along the way.
  • A Thought For Food is written by Brian from Boston. He is passionate about cooking and it shows in his posts. I’ve added his rosemary shortbread to my must-make list, but his watermelon margarita may be of higher priority this week.

Cheers!

Print Print

Mint Simple Syrup

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
Preparation:

Combine sugar, water, and mint sprigs in saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain out the mint and chill, covered, in refrigerator until ready to use.

Print Print

Mango-Mint Margarita

[Makes 2 drinks.]

• 1 1/2 cups fresh mango, peeled and seeded and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup silver tequila
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons Mint Simple Syrup
  • 1 tablespoon Cointreau
  • 2 cups ice cubes or crushed ice
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

15 Responses to “beach vacation sangria”

1. bunkycooks — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Sangria always hits the spot! I could use that beach vacation right about now!!! 🙂

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I tend to do white sangria in the summer, but this looks too wonderful to pass up. I could go for a nice beach vaca right now.

3. Baking Serendipity — August 16, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

There is nothing more amazing than sangria at the beach. Glad you had a good vacation!

4. Barbara | Vino Luci Style — August 16, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

I tend to do white sangria too with peaches but I would have no problem with this version. I wonder if topping off each serving with the soda would help keep the batch for the next day as opposed to having it go flat and ruin the entire thing of beauty.

5. Jason Phelps — August 16, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

I make this at home so I can think I am at the beach. Red or white, sangria is awesome!!!

Jason

6. Macaroni Mama — August 16, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

Sangria on day two was worth it..It made my lips pucker, but sangria is sangria when you need a lift! Thanks, MJ for having it there.

7. May Ling WU — August 17, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Nothing like sangria on the beach!

8. Jennie — August 17, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I’m in vacation countdown mode myself—leaving for Cape Cod this weekend. I’ll be somewhat in your neck of the woods at the end of September for the Food & Wine Festival at Disney 🙂

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Jennie – Cape Cod sounds amazing! Perhaps we’ll finally get to meet IRL at Epcot… 🙂

9. Mark — August 18, 2010 @ 8:47 am

It seems to me that the rinds are what makes Sangria bitter after a few days. I usually juice the fruit and only leave few whole slices for decoration. This way it only gets better with time.

Mark

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Mark – I think you’re absolutely right. The bitterness on day 2 definitely seemed to come from the citrus rinds. In fact, I may give it a try again, but this time section the fruit and trash the rinds.

10. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 19, 2010 @ 7:14 am

One of my favourite drinks is sangria and this looks like a good recipe! Thanks for sharing!

11. Jessica — August 20, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Love the beautiful pictures, and this sangria looks quite delicious. Thanks for sharing with us!

12. Susan — August 20, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

You know, I had forgotten all about Sangria–and living here in Florida (I’m in Orlando), we can sure use something light and refreshing to drink during this amazingly hot summer…thank you for the reminder.

13. Ivy @ My Simple Food — August 24, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Hmmm..nice a good Sangria anytime!!