and then he was four

Four years ago today, my son, Oliver, was born.

Four. Wow.

We had a little party for him on Saturday morning with some of his friends from his preschool. Truthfully, we celebrated Oliver all weekend. That’s the great thing about a birthday, right? It always stretches out for a few days, and if you’re lucky, maybe even a week.

Oliver’s party invitations came from Tiny Prints. I love that store. I buy invitations and holiday cards from them all the time. And, no, they didn’t pay me to say that. I wish they did, but they didn’t.

If I were a good mom, I would have baked and decorated the birthday cake myself, staying up all hours of the night until it was just perfect. But, I’m a busy works-full-time-and-has-too-much-stuff-going-on kind of mom, so I didn’t. I’m also into maintaining my sanity for as long as possible. So I ordered a cake. And, as usual, the Publix cake decorators did a fantastic job matching the decorations to the invitation.

(And don’t tell anyone, but I’m totally addicted to the Publix buttercream frosting, so I’ll order a Publix cake any chance I get. Shh..)

Madeline had specifically requested a bouncy house with a slide for her brother’s party, and, because he’s still in awe of his big sister, Oliver wanted whatever she told him he wanted. We, of course, obeyed. I also set up an activity table with foam stickers and foam craft paper. As it turned out, the stickers were a huge hit among all the kidsĀ  – boys and girls alike.

“I had a fun day,” Oliver told me before he went to bed Saturday night. My heart warmed. I had a fun day, too.

I’ve had a fun four years, in fact. The most fun ever.

9 Responses to “on motherhood”

1. Carol Sacks — May 12, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

What a scare for you, and such a powerful piece of writing, MJ.

2. Gail — May 12, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Perhaps you should still be breast feeding Oliver? Yes, I read Time Magazine.

At the very least you should have held onto the breast pump.*

*only kidding, MJ.

3. David Dadekian — May 12, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Was just going to say very well put, beautifully written and I know how you feel. But this weekend I’ll also add Happy Mother’s Day. I certainly hope you have a great one.

4. Macaroni Mama — May 12, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Beautifully written.

5. So so sweet. You are such a wonderful mother and the love you have for your children is magical.

6. Angela Underwood — May 13, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Motherhood – the best and hardest job ever! Happy mother’s day! And let me warn you – no matter how old they are you will always worry.

7. Aimee @ Simple Bites — May 13, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Happy Mother’s Day, MJ. I too have experienced that heart-stopping panic – I think being a mom to boys has something to do with it! They are little daredevils…

8. Thyme (Sarah) — May 13, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Perfectly captured moments of Motherhood. My son passes out at any conversations about blood. Whenever a topic veers that direction I just freeze and sense his every reaction hoping he isn’t going to pass out. Happy Mother’s Day to you.

9. Paula — May 14, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

Love your writing. Hoping you enjoyed a beautiful Mother’s Day with your precious children.