and then he was four

Four years ago today, my son, Oliver, was born.

Four. Wow.

We had a little party for him on Saturday morning with some of his friends from his preschool. Truthfully, we celebrated Oliver all weekend. That’s the great thing about a birthday, right? It always stretches out for a few days, and if you’re lucky, maybe even a week.

Oliver’s party invitations came from Tiny Prints. I love that store. I buy invitations and holiday cards from them all the time. And, no, they didn’t pay me to say that. I wish they did, but they didn’t.

If I were a good mom, I would have baked and decorated the birthday cake myself, staying up all hours of the night until it was just perfect. But, I’m a busy works-full-time-and-has-too-much-stuff-going-on kind of mom, so I didn’t. I’m also into maintaining my sanity for as long as possible. So I ordered a cake. And, as usual, the Publix cake decorators did a fantastic job matching the decorations to the invitation.

(And don’t tell anyone, but I’m totally addicted to the Publix buttercream frosting, so I’ll order a Publix cake any chance I get. Shh..)

Madeline had specifically requested a bouncy house with a slide for her brother’s party, and, because he’s still in awe of his big sister, Oliver wanted whatever she told him he wanted. We, of course, obeyed. I also set up an activity table with foam stickers and foam craft paper. As it turned out, the stickers were a huge hit among all the kidsย  – boys and girls alike.

“I had a fun day,” Oliver told me before he went to bed Saturday night. My heart warmed. I had a fun day, too.

I’ve had a fun four years, in fact. The most fun ever.

22 Responses to “cocktail party wrap-up & chorizo-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon”

1. Jennifer Hess — May 27, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Wow, this looks and sounds like a wonderful party! I’m inspired now, for our own party-in-the-works. Cheers!

2. Leigh — May 27, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

I am SO SORRY I missed this! It looked like it was fab. I’m still kicking myself for living in a bubble of plague-type illnesses. Promise you’ll recreate at least some of this for us in the future?

3. Brian — May 27, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

My husband is fond of anything wrapped in bacon. His birthday is coming up, so maybe I’ll make these for him. Thanks for a great post! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. These look absolutely amazing!! So many of my favourite flavours right there in one little bite ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Jean — May 27, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

Wow! These are gorgeous! I’ve had a variation of this appetizer before but I think yours takes the cake! Bookmarked! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. The Housewife — May 28, 2010 @ 12:15 am

This is a great appetizer for a crowd with minimal effort! Love it and bookmarked!

7. Bacon wrapped dates – one of my favorite appetizers. I fondly call it bacon candy! The addition of chorizo – how you have gone to nirvana in the appetizer world. Thanks for sharing!

8. Pingback: Healthy Cooking Video: Breakfast Quesadilla

9. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — May 28, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Just one question. Why wasn’t I invited? That I live in CO should not have been a deterrent!

Love the cocktail, the glasses, the dates (make something similar but with just a pecan in the center) and those adorable cookies…way to go on those Gail!

Lovely post!

10. Jennie — May 28, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

Well, I agree with Barbara. Not fair that all of us didn’t get an invite ๐Ÿ™‚ Anything wrapped in bacon sounds good to me too.

p.s. Those cookies are so adorable. Gail is an amazing pastry chef and gal.

11. Mike — May 28, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

These look amazing. I am craving them now. I can already taste their sweet, salty, smoky flavor. Gotta try making these.

12. Jason Phelps — May 28, 2010 @ 9:18 pm

I am so glad this worked out for you guys. I am always nervous when I entertain and am so excited when things go smoothly. The food sounds aweseme, how hard is it to get an invite?

Jason

13. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — May 28, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

Barbara, Jennie, & Jason – Okay, next time you’re ALL invited!

14. Magic of Spice — May 28, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

What a way to get your daily serving of fruit:)

15. Kath — May 31, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

What a great idea for an appetizer! I love the fact that it’s dairy and gluten free. I will definitely be trying this one. Thanks for the idea.

16. Oriana — June 1, 2010 @ 7:07 am

I posted the tuscan version of those wrapped dates! incredible – I use lard – i think i even made this recipe up but I used lard from colonnata!

17. alexandria — July 28, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

oh my god! don’t you love those martini glasses? i’ve had them since january and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. too bad i’ve had them shelved away for some time (need to get my summery drinks going already). i’m going to try your bacon-date wrap. looks delicious– sweet, salty– what else could anyone ask for?

18. Pingback: dates stuffed with goat cheese and pistachios | the merry gourmet

19. Pingback: pan-fried onion and chive dip | the merry gourmet

20. sweetsugarbelle — June 8, 2011 @ 7:01 am

Looks perfect!!!

21. sweetsugarbelle — June 8, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Ps….just saw the cookies….right up my alley. Gail is one of my heroes too!!!

22. Miri — September 9, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

The party looks great! Such a shame you had to throw your wine away. That would not be necessary if you had a vacuum wine saver. Something like this: http://www.vacuvin.com/Vacuum_Wine_Saver_286_270_267.html
    Iยดve got one (along with some additional stops) and it keeps open bottles of wine well for a couple of weeks.