the many meanings of christmas

Pumpkin pie and cornbread dressing.  National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.  Reading The Night Before Christmas to my kids at bedtime.  Watching my children count down the days until Christmas on our advent calendar.  My son’s excitement as he gets to turn on the lights on the tree each day.  My wooden nativity set with the little baby Jesus that looks like an almond.  Singing along to holiday music as I wrap presents.  Setting out homemade cookies for Santa, along with a glass of milk in case he gets thirsty.  Seeing the wonderment and awe in my children’s eyes on Christmas morning as they see that Santa has visited in the middle of the night.  Gathering with our family on Christmas day.  The beauty of giving to others.  Joy.  Contentment.  Peace.  Gratitude.

I hope you have a Christmas filled with love and happiness. From my family to yours, merry Christmas!

9 Responses to “silent sunday: a fifth birthday party for oliver”

1. Gail — October 16, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Happy Birthday, Oliver!!! Loved being part of your celebration.

2. Kristina @ spabettie — October 16, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

oh, my – I want his shirt! 🙂 (I love anything dachshund…)

looks like a perfect fun time! the last photo is so great!

Happy Birthday, Oliver!

3. Aggie — October 16, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Happy birthday Oliver! Love big sister’s party dress and of course the Eeyore cookies 🙂

4. Macaroni Mama — October 16, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

What a cutie pie Oliver is!

5. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — October 16, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Merry Jennifer – your children are absolutely gorgeous 🙂

6. Paula — October 16, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Oliver. I love your name and you are a very handsome young man and you have a beautiful big sister. How much fun you must have had at your party with your friends and family AND a bouncy castle! Winnie the Pooh is awesome and you certainly looked like you loved your cake. I love your Eeyore cookies (I’m betting that Gail made them for your party) and your Mom made the best goodie bags, the blue ribbon matches Eeyore perfectly.
    Being 5 is wonderful, enjoy a great year.

7. Adrienne — October 17, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

He really looks happy. Sweet kids 🙂

8. Nutmeg Nanny — October 17, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

Awww happy birthday little one!

9. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 19, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Belated happy birthday to Oliver!! Looks like the party was a blast. And, I saw that Gail posted those cookies last week. They are absolutely adorable! 🙂