the good and the bad of food blog conferences (or, my blogher food recap)

I spent the weekend in Atlanta for the BlogHer Food 2011 conference. I decided that, rather than sum up the exact details of the sessions I attended, I’d share with you some of the things I’ve learned about attending food blog conferences. I have been to four of them over the past year (crazy, right?) and I’m pretty confident that I can be considered an expert by now.

So here it is – the good and the bad of attending food blog conferences, in no particular order:

1. You will learn something from the sessions you attend. It may be a nugget of information that you can tuck away to make your writing better (such as using active verbs instead of passive ones, a morsel I gleaned from David Leite’s and Nancy Baggett’s session) or your photography more beautiful or your recipe writing more accurate and informative. Or, you may learn that some speakers, no matter how great their blog or book is, are not good public speakers. You will learn that the secret to removing a temporary pig tattoo is nail polish remover. Also, a good way to freak out your husband is to get a temporary tattoo and leave out the “temporary” part. The key with conferences is finding just one little bit of knowledge that you didn’t have before showing up. You won’t be disappointed if you keep your expectations relatively low. I have embraced this valuable lesson.

tattoo

2. You will walk out with swag or prizes from sponsors that you can’t wait to use when you get home. You might even have to leave your over-sized winnings, items too large to carry onto your flight, with a friend to babysit for you until you can reunite in five months at the next conference.

3. You will be disappointed by – and amused at the ridiculousness of – other products tucked away in the conference swag bag. A donation to the trash can will be in order, or perhaps to the hotel housekeeping staff to do with as they will.

sausage in progress

sausage

4. You may get to learn how to grind your own sausages, thanks to the fabulous Queens of Charcuterie and Charcutepalooza founders, Kim and Cathy. You might even start chatting with Hank Shaw as he is frying up those sausages and embarrass yourself by not immediately recognizing him.

tattoo

5. You will not get much sleep. What sleep you do get will probably be interrupted by thoughts racing through your head of people you’ve met, people you would still like to meet, or of your husband/wife/partner/kids/cats/goldfish back home. Or, you may sleep like a rock because you’re finally getting time away from work and other stresses.

6. You will eat too much, especially if you eat dinner out, away from the conference hotel. The food will be wonderful and the drinks will be plenty. If you follow a gluten-free or vegan diet, you may not eat as much as others do. Occasionally, and frighteningly, hotel staff may get confused and put southern biscuits and cornbread on the gluten-free table.

7. You will pack your gym clothes and running shoes, and they will be forgotten in a corner of the room, getting buried under dirty clothes and discarded swag.

8. If you have your photo on Twitter or on your blog, you will be pleasantly surprised and flattered when other bloggers walk up to you to say hello because they’ve recognized your face. That feeling that wells up inside will be warm and fuzzy, like a comforting hug from a best friend. You should put a photo of yourself on Twitter or your blog. It helps. Really, it does.

9. You will introduce yourself to someone and find that you have nothing else to say beyond hello. Awkward silence will ensue and you will excuse yourself politely. You will introduce yourself to another person and find that you have just made a new confidante. You will feel that you have known each other forever.

10. You will find that cliques have formed among different circles of bloggers and writers and photographers. Some of these groups will be open and welcoming as you introduce yourself, and they will invite you to have a seat and chat. Others will not be so kind. You will feel like you are in high school again, and the cool kids just publicly snubbed you. It may hurt. You should ignore this and remember that this is NOT high school. You are a wonderful person and not getting to know you better is their loss.

11. You will not take as many photos as you would like, and the ones you do take will not be as great as you remembered them feeling in the moment. This can be blamed on many things, including the bad lighting in the conference hotel. The number one reason you will not take as many photos, though, is that you are engaged. You are wrapped up in conversations and activities, and you just don’t remember to pull out the camera. This is forgivable.

Elissa, Tessa, Kamran, and Lauren (missing from photo is Hannah)

12. You will feel inspired. A session on food styling may quicken your pulse when you understand that everyone has their own style (whether it’s Tami’s, Aran’s, or Stephanie’s) and that no single style is the right one. You may meet a chef from California whose talk of learning over time to become confident in her cooking skills motivates you to work harder to find assurance in your own skills. You will encounter young people whose passion for food is vast and their energy seemingly boundless. All of these things will motivate you, inspire you, and give you butterflies in your stomach. At the end of the day, you will find yourself smiling to yourself as you finally fall asleep, exhausted and content.

23 Responses to “seattle food trucks (one last IFBC post)”

1. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 2, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

Lovely post… Your photos of lunch turned out beautifully!!

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — September 2nd, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

Jen – These are a highly selected group of photos. I wish some of the indoor photos had turned out but the lighting was so crappy. Oh, well. Have a great weekend!

2. Joy — September 2, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

Wow, such beautiful photos! I love it! Wish I got the chance to meet you last weekend, though. Next time, ok? 🙂

3. Magic of Spice — September 2, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

The photos are great, and so glad you had a wonderful time 🙂 Boy that is one big hamburger…

4. cat — September 2, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

what a great weekend it must have been! love seeing the photos and, even more so, love seeing my friend mardi – feeling like i know someone famous! 🙂

5. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — September 3, 2010 @ 7:52 am

LOL! There I am again and there’s an email from Cat telling me I am on this post! Great pics – and yes, finally some decent lighting!!! Thanks god there was this meal is all I can say otherwise every meal would have left me hungry…

6. Macaroni Mama — September 3, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Your photos are great! The food looks scrumptious and I enjoyed seeing a few of the people you met.

7. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — September 3, 2010 @ 8:34 am

Magic of Spice – It’s actually a little slider. I just got up close and personal with it. 🙂

Cat – She practically IS famous, right?

Mardi – That was THE best meal of the trip. I’m still thinking of those food trucks, actually. Trying to figure out how we can bring some to Florida.

Mom – Thanks! I can tell you all about it when I see you this weekend.

8. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — September 3, 2010 @ 10:36 am

Wow…it all looks so good and now you’ve got me wondering if we have food trucks in Denver. I think we must have a few because now that I think about it; a couple are evident at the larger farmer’s market I typically attend on Saturday.

Still want the hamburger though and it’s what I would eat for breakfast now if I could!

9. Brian @ A Thought For Food — September 3, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

What a wonderful post! I love that food trucks have become such a hit!

10. Lori @ RecipeGirl — September 4, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

You certainly did a great job of covering all of them! I wish I could have eaten more. I was stuffed after the lamb gyro & the slider… but then I managed a crepe and a spoonful of the salted caramel ice cream too! Great photos!

• merry jennifer

merry jennifer replied: — September 6th, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

Lori – My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach. I finally figured out that I had to take just a bite or two if I wanted to taste more than one or two things. Hard to do, but worth it in the end.

11. Mary@CaliforniaGreekGirl — September 4, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

Such a beautiful tribute to the incredible weekend we all had! Your photographs are so vovid and a delight to look at, they make me drool…

• merry jennifer

merry jennifer replied: — September 6th, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Mary – Thanks so much. I drool whenever I think back on that lunch, too!

12. Gail — September 6, 2010 @ 10:49 am

LOVE these photos!!!! You’ve totally translated the emotions you felt through at IFBC through these photos. I’m truly sorry I missed this one. Thanks to you and others, I haven’t missed out completely.

• merry jennifer

merry jennifer replied: — September 6th, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Gail – We really must coordinate our attendance at the next conference. 🙂

13. Pingback: IFBC 2010 – International Food Bloggers Conference Recap

14. Nancy@acommunaltable — September 9, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

If I had ANY question about going to IFBC next year your post and photos more than answered it – oh yes!!!! Wonderful recap of the food trucks – but “food truck” really doesn’t do them justice – have to come up with a new name for them!!!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — September 9th, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Thanks so much, Nancy! And you’re right, “food truck” really is an inadequate term for the amazing meals they’re able to deliver in such limited space and time. Hmm…what to call them?

15. crystal — February 27, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

who is making the crepes?

16. Pingback: saying hello to june and olive oil ice cream | The Merry Gourmet

17. Pingback: IFBC 2010 - International Food Bloggers Conference Recap — The Culinary Life

18. Pingback: The Merry Gourmet olive oil ice cream | the merry gourmet