missing chicago & pistachio cherry icebox cookies

I spent all of this past weekend – and then some – in the Windy City for work. And, while I missed the daily hugs and kisses of my family, I basked in the peacefulness of a silent hotel room for three restful nights. I ate very well while I was in Chicago. Too well, actually.

With a group of good friends, I sampled the shared plates at Perennial Virant. The morels in a cream sauce were a distinct highlight. I satisfied my craving for Thai food twice, at Baisi Thai during a shopping excursion and then at Star of Siam, where my dining partner and I accidentally swapped plates. I neglected to point out the error, mostly because I’d fallen in love with the Pad Khee Mao that he had ordered but that I ended up eating [sorry, Brian – hope you enjoyed my Pad Thai.]. The bartender at Lula Cafe kept my glass of Rosé filled as we waited for our friends to join us for what turned out to be a wonderful dinner. Morels made a second and much-loved appearance, this time in the form of chicken-fried morels in a pasta dish with duck confit. At the Publican, my sister and brother-in-law savored a leisurely brunch, filled with wine-poached eggs and a heavenly plate of maple-syrup braised pork belly. That pork belly has not left my mind since.

But, alas. The trip is over and the week is underway.

I have cookies to share, though, and cookies always brighten up the week. I’m guest posting over at A Thought for Food today, and I’m so thankful that Brian asked me to join him there. He’s got a lovely blog, filled with his beautiful photography and approachable and elegant recipes. So, please, go take a look at his site, and find the recipe for these Pistachio Cherry Icebox Cookies there.

15 Responses to “beach vacation sangria”

1. bunkycooks — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Sangria always hits the spot! I could use that beach vacation right about now!!! 🙂

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 16, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I tend to do white sangria in the summer, but this looks too wonderful to pass up. I could go for a nice beach vaca right now.

3. Baking Serendipity — August 16, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

There is nothing more amazing than sangria at the beach. Glad you had a good vacation!

4. Barbara | Vino Luci Style — August 16, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

I tend to do white sangria too with peaches but I would have no problem with this version. I wonder if topping off each serving with the soda would help keep the batch for the next day as opposed to having it go flat and ruin the entire thing of beauty.

5. Jason Phelps — August 16, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

I make this at home so I can think I am at the beach. Red or white, sangria is awesome!!!

Jason

6. Macaroni Mama — August 16, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

Sangria on day two was worth it..It made my lips pucker, but sangria is sangria when you need a lift! Thanks, MJ for having it there.

7. May Ling WU — August 17, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Nothing like sangria on the beach!

8. Jennie — August 17, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I’m in vacation countdown mode myself—leaving for Cape Cod this weekend. I’ll be somewhat in your neck of the woods at the end of September for the Food & Wine Festival at Disney 🙂

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Jennie – Cape Cod sounds amazing! Perhaps we’ll finally get to meet IRL at Epcot… 🙂

9. Mark — August 18, 2010 @ 8:47 am

It seems to me that the rinds are what makes Sangria bitter after a few days. I usually juice the fruit and only leave few whole slices for decoration. This way it only gets better with time.

Mark

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Mark – I think you’re absolutely right. The bitterness on day 2 definitely seemed to come from the citrus rinds. In fact, I may give it a try again, but this time section the fruit and trash the rinds.

10. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — August 19, 2010 @ 7:14 am

One of my favourite drinks is sangria and this looks like a good recipe! Thanks for sharing!

11. Jessica — August 20, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Love the beautiful pictures, and this sangria looks quite delicious. Thanks for sharing with us!

12. Susan — August 20, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

You know, I had forgotten all about Sangria–and living here in Florida (I’m in Orlando), we can sure use something light and refreshing to drink during this amazingly hot summer…thank you for the reminder.

13. Ivy @ My Simple Food — August 24, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Hmmm..nice a good Sangria anytime!!