death, the book thief, and a recipe: sour cherry buttercream frosting

sour cherry buttercream frosting | the merry gourmet

I have given a lot of bad news these last couple of weeks. I’ve given some good news, too, but those instances have been far less frequent. I’ve sat at my patients’ bedside and listened as they shared their stories, their pain, and their fears. I’ve passed the tissue box, filled with papery wisps of cheap, hospital-grade tissue. I have come close to tears, and I have discretely wiped away tears. And I’ve held many, many hands: wrinkled, slender, 80-year old hands; husky, calloused, 50-year old hands; tattooed, tanned, 27-year old hands; swollen and puffy hands; arthritic and knobby hands; jaundiced hands; bruised hands.

I’ve driven home each night, well after my children have eaten dinner and had their showers. The recorded voice reading The Book Thief on audiobook has kept me company. On better days, I’m able to concentrate on the story, on Markus Zusak’s beautiful way with words, on his descriptions and analogies that seem to brilliantly mix the senses.

“The orange flames waved at the crowd as paper and print dissolved inside them. Burning words were torn from their sentences.”    (from The Book Thief)

Oh, his words are strung together in such a stunning way, as if they were always meant to be together in just that order. I freely admit, I’m more than a little jealous of the author’s talent.

On the tougher days – those days when the news has been particularly awful, or when certain patients have sneaked parts of themselves into my heart – my ride home is not restful. My thoughts clamor and quibble, the noise drowning out the accented voice of The Book Thief’s narrator. I pause the audiobook and know that I’ll listen again in the morning, on my ride back in to the hospital, when my mind is quieter. Those are the evenings that I hug my kids a little tighter when I walk in the door, and I beg them to snuggle with me on the sofa, under Oliver’s king-size red blanket. Rarely do I have to ask twice.

And I have baking to keep me sustained and to give my mind a rest. I’ve made a couple of cakes recently, including this one, with a sour cherry buttercream frosting. The cake itself is Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Downy Yellow Butter Cake (you can find the recipe here and here). I’m very pleased with that cake. It baked up beautifully, was a gorgeous golden color, and it was a cinch to frost. The kids and husband raved about the cake and the frosting, and they refused to let me share any of it with my work colleagues (as had been my plan).

I finished The Book Thief on Saturday evening, on my way in to the hospital for the second time that day. I have been unable to stop thinking about the book, about the meanings within its chapters. Death plays a leading role in the book, and is, in fact, the narrator of the story. There is a quote in the book that I particularly love. As Death comes for one of the characters, he says this:

“His soul sat up. It met me. Those kinds of souls always do – the best ones. The ones who rise up and say “I know who you are and I am ready. Not that I want to go, of course, but I will come.” Those souls are always light because more of them have been put out. More of them have already found their way to other places.”   (- Death, in The Book Thief)

The best souls. I’ve met so many of those souls, the best ones, the ones who have made peace and are ready when their time comes. It’s one of the most beautiful things in life, to have made peace, said goodbyes, and to be ready for death.

sour cherry buttercream frosting | the merry gourmet

Sour Cherry Buttercream Frosting

This recipe makes enough frosting to very generously frost a 2 layer cake. There will be enough left over to pipe some pretty decorations onto the cake as well, if you feel so inclined.

5 sticks (20 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
6-1/4 cups (25 ounces) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cherries, pureed and drained [I used Trader Joe’s Dark Morello Cherries]

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 60 seconds. Reduce speed to medium low and slowly add confectioners’ sugar. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl as necessary. Add salt, vanilla, and heavy cream, and mix on medium-high until incorporated and smooth. Add in cherries, and beat until well-incorporated.

22 Responses to “summer fruit salad with mint sugar”

1. 1
    Magic of Spice — July 10, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

What a great summer fruit salad…Love the mint sugar:) Will want to try that…

2. 2
    sweetlife — July 11, 2010 @ 12:08 am

great salad, perfect for summer…love the mint sugar

sweetlife

3. 3
    Chef Dennis — July 11, 2010 @ 9:54 am

Mint sugar sounds excellent!!! I will definitely try that, thanks so much for sharing!

4. 4

This is an amazing salad! I ADORE your new look!

5. 5
    Trudy ~ veggie num num — July 11, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

What a delicious and beautiful recipe.. the mint sugar sounds like a very simple but wonderful way to add something extra special to fruit salad.

6. 6
    Baking Serendipity — July 12, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

I can’t believe it is nearly mid-July as well. I kind of like the fast pace of summer, because while I’m not looking forward to the end of summer break, I am looking forward to Phoenix winter. Summers are just too hot! This fruit salad does look beautiful and delicious 🙂

7. 7
    Sophia — July 12, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

The fruit salad looks delicious!! Mint sugar sounds like a a great idea. I’ve made this Fruit Salad with Mint recipe before also, and it was pretty tasty. Thanks for sharing!

8. 8
    Jason Phelps — July 12, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

You definitely get creative points for the mint sugar. How about lavender sugar?

Jason

9. 9
    Kelsey, at Happyolks — July 14, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

This looks above and beyond good. I’m going to try this asap! I’ll echo Jason on the “creative points” for mint sugar, so cute!

10. 10
    Susan DuPree Trostad — July 15, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Merry Jennifer,
    I can’t wait to try this! I have an overabundance of mint growing in my yard so I look forward to using the mint for something other than mojitos (well, maybe not 🙂 Anwyay, this sounds and looks delicious!

11. 11
    amy — July 18, 2010 @ 9:31 am

I recognize that blue and white bowl and have one myself. Louisville Pottery, I think. A wedding gift from Angela, perhaps? 🙂 I LOVE that bowl and enjoy reading this blog.

12. 12
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — July 20, 2010 @ 10:37 am

It’s absolutely gorgeous MJ – I recently tried mint sugar for the first time and I am hooked!

13. 13
    lbrookscook — July 20, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

The mint sugar looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try this.

14. 14
    Shelly — July 21, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Looks delicious and beautiful recipe, the mint sugar is interesting

15. 15
    Constanc e — July 31, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

I use a variety of summer fruits – peaches, cherries, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, apricot – and I add two KIWIS – the little black seeds add some texture and color and it looks beautiful. Everybody raves! Also good over vanilla icecream.

• merrygourmet

merrygourmet replied: — August 1st, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

Kiwis would look beautiful in the salad. Great idea!

16. Pingback: Daring Cooks make Pierogi in August | Kitchen Butterfly

17. 16

Beautiful salad! I love the above suggestion to include kiwi. Thanks for sending this over (since I didn’t really know you as well back in July) 🙂

18. 17
    Aggie — April 1, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

this is an amazing fruit salad. I love the amped up mint sugar. I have so much mint every summer, would love to use it like this.

19. 18
    Megan — April 3, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Oh my! Yes please. Bring on the fresh fruit and the mint. I want to make this.

20. Pingback: 25 Healthy Recipes for Graduation Parties

21. Pingback: 11 peachy peach recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner | Cool Mom Picks