roasted berries and cherries

In just a few days, I’ll be sitting in a New Orleans hotel conference room, speaking to a room full (hopefully) of food bloggers about managing time effectively. The goal of the panel discussion is to be interactive, with me and Marissa leading the conversation and offering up our own tips and tricks.

Of course, this comes during a stretch of days – weeks, even – where I feel as If I’m doing everything BUT managing my time effectively.

Sort of ironic, really.

Like most people, I’m balancing lots of different things in my life at any one time, and now seems like one of those times that I have too many balls up in the air. Juggling too many balls means that I’m bound to drop one here and there.

Yesterday, I did.

I forgot that I was supposed to attend my son’s pre-kindergarten open house. I was busy working on a Power Point presentation for work instead. I finally got home just before 7:00, with the presentation done, but feeling awful about missing the open house. Thankfully, my husband was able to attend it since I didn’t remember, and it all turned out to be no big deal.

But still.

That whole mommy-guilt thing really knows how to give a hard kick in the ribs. And then a second kick for good measure.

Let’s move on to the recipe.

We’re closing out the season of summer fruits soon, and I wanted to share this very simple recipe with you. These roasted blueberries and cherries break down into a rich dessert sauce, making a wonderful topping for a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream or even a slice of pound cake. Other than the time it takes to pit and halve the cherries (and wear an apron when you pit them – trust me on this), there is very little active time involved with this recipe.

So make this. And while the berries and cherries are roasting, use your time wisely to catch up on that stack of food magazines you have sitting on the table. Or sort your mail. Or read a story to your kid.

Or just take a little rest at the kitchen table with a warm cup of tea and your thoughts. Go on – you deserve the break.

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Roasted Berries and Cherries

2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brandy
Zest of 1/2 lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine cherries and blueberries in a large mixing bowl. Add cornstarch, sugar, brandy, and lemon zest. Stir to combine well. Pour in a 9 x 9 inch baking dish and bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until the juices are released and bubbling at the edges, 30-40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then store, covered, in the refrigerator.

14 Responses to “chocolate chip cookies”

1. C and C Dish — April 11, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Yum…I love a good chocolate chip cookie!

2. alexandria — April 11, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

Oh my God… I could seriously go for one or two of those right now. Looks delicious! What kind of camera are you using?

3. alexandria — April 11, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Ah, nevermind. I read your photog section.

4. Lazaro — April 11, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Saw your profile on food buzz. Glad I check out your wonderful blog. Look forward to following you here. Your cookies look great. Cheers!

5. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — April 11, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

C&C and Alexandria – Chocolate chip cookies are the best, aren’t they? Glad you found my site!

Alexandria – I think you found the answer, but let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Lazaro – Glad you’re here! Welcome!

6. Macaroni Mama — April 11, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

Yes! Homemade chocolate chip cookies-the way to the heart!

7. Bob Hollander — April 12, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

Michael Pollan (“In Defense of Food”, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”) posits that junk food is okay if you make it yourself, from scratch.

This article from the NYT is about chocolate chip cookies and the original Toll House cookie recipe:

I usually use the recipe on a Ghirardelli wrapper I saved, adding macadamia nuts.

I’ve bought chocolate discs, in bulk from:
    (follow the link under “Chocolates” to “Baking Drops/Coatings”

Great post.

8. Jamie @ My Baking Addiction — April 12, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

These look great! I am always searching for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. In fact, I may make these tonight!

9. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — April 12, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

Bob – Thanks for the tip on where to find the chocolate discs.

Jamie – Oh, you really should. They’re delicious.

10. SweetFoodie — April 13, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

oh my goodness, i couldn’t be happier to have found your blog! Thanks go out to @jenniferperillo for her RT on your wonderful blog. Your photography is just beautiful, and I can’t wait to bake these perfect-looking chocolate chip cookies. Thanks!

11. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — April 13, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

SweetFoodie – I’m so glad you found me, too! I love having new readers. 🙂

12. Melissa Brown — March 12, 2013 @ 5:43 pm

Do you know why I can’t pin your chocolate chip cookie recipe? I can pin your other recipes.

Merry-Jennifer replied: — March 13th, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

I’m not sure, really. When I try, it works for me.