silent sunday: a few of my favorite things

I intended to do a Silent Sunday post filled with beautiful photos of our Thanksgiving day – the bounty of food, my family celebrating the day together. What happened instead was that I spent the day completely immersed in living and being. And feeling grateful. So, these photos — from after the meal — are what I’m left with.

And they’re enough, really.

15 Responses to “the nurse”

1. Gail — October 3, 2014 @ 10:46 am

This is just one of the reasons why I love you. xoxoxo

2. Maria Raynal — October 3, 2014 @ 11:22 am

Me too. That inevitable intersection where life, death, hope and heartbreak collide … it sneaks up on us in so many ways.

3. Cookin Canuck — October 3, 2014 @ 11:30 am

You took me by surprise with this, MJ, and I’m having difficulties fighting back the tears. Thank you for sharing your emotions in such a raw, honest way. I can imagine that your own experiences make you even better at your job. That man is very lucky to have you as his doctor.

4. Carolyn — October 3, 2014 @ 11:40 am

I was going to say pretty much exactly what Dara said — about the tears, the honesty, the way that living your life fully can only make you better and better at your job. Instead I”ll just say: you’re wonderful. xx

5. Paula — October 3, 2014 @ 11:42 am

For many, it is hard to put words to our grief. I have so much respect and admiration for you and for your ability to finds words that so eloquently and meaningfully convey what you are feeling. Your writing is intensely beautiful, much like your spirit I’m sure.

6. Susan - ofeverymoment — October 3, 2014 @ 11:53 am

As a nurse, it warms my heart to read of such compassion by a person in my profession. As a caregiver who has lost a special person when being cared for in a hospital, I understand how hard it was for you to enter that IMC.
    Your father’s illness gave you insight that cannot be learned in medical school, and it is his legacy to all your patients. Thank you for writing this beautiful piece.

7. Sabrina Modelle — October 3, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

MJ,
    You are pretty freaking amazing. That is all.
    X
    Sabrina

8. Liz Larkin — October 3, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

I love your writing, MJ. it’s heartfelt, and true, and so lovely.

9. Janis — October 3, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

you are such a good writer.

10. Mimi — October 3, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

I just wish there were more female doctors. A beautiful post.

11. cherie — October 3, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

You are so compassionate because you are so aware of your OWN feelings. No matter the outcome, you are a blessing to your patients. I am very grateful to know there are doctors like you in the world.

I’m typing through tears, wishing I could give you a hug myself. Yet another reminder that everyone is struggling.

12. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 3, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Youe strength and vulnerability is such an inspiration. Xoxo

13. Rachel — October 5, 2014 @ 8:00 am

You are incredible. Patients are lucky to have you as their physician.
    Know this was hard.

14. Laura — October 8, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

So heartfelt. Beautiful. Thank you.

15. Mallory+@forkvsspoon — October 14, 2014 @ 10:32 am

You are amazing. I have no other words. This post, like so many others of yours, has left me in awe. Thank you for being so vulnerable.