in celebration of vacations: mango mint margarita & a reading list
Did you hear that? I’m breathing a sigh of relief. A BIG sigh of relief, actually, because I’m finally getting some much needed rest and relaxation after a busy several weeks at work. This vacation seems to have been a long time coming.
In celebration of vacations and because today is Friday, let’s have a cocktail, shall we?
These beautiful mangoes called to me at Publix, and I’ve learned that when an ingredient calls, I have no choice but to listen. Mango margaritas seemed like a great use for the tropical fruit. When I made it with a simple syrup infused with mint, this margarita rocked.
The family and I are soon headed off to party with Mickey and Goofy and relax on a lovely oil-free beach on Florida’s east coast. Before I go, though, I want to share with you some recent blogs that I’ve been enjoying. So, make yourself a mango margarita, and take a peek at these sites:
- Honest Fare is a gorgeous food blog written by Gabi, just down the road in Orlando, Florida. Her conversational-style writing is just lovely to read, and her photography is amazing. I’m entranced by her beautifully rustic plum galette.
- Written by 24-year old Taylor from North Carolina, Taylor Takes a Taste is just filled to the brim with amazing food photography. Taylor documents his travels with photos of the most mouth-watering burgers and hot dogs and sweets that he finds along the way.
- A Thought For Food is written by Brian from Boston. He is passionate about cooking and it shows in his posts. I’ve added his rosemary shortbread to my must-make list, but his watermelon margarita may be of higher priority this week.
Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
Combine sugar, water, and mint sprigs in saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain out the mint and chill, covered, in refrigerator until ready to use.
[Makes 2 drinks.]
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mango, peeled and seeded and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup silver tequila
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau
- 2 cups ice cubes or crushed ice
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.