lovely lemon bars

Last week as I was browsing some of my favorite food blogs, I came across this post for lemon shortbread bars from La Fuji Mama. Then I discovered this lemon bar post by Smitten Kitchen. You see, I have a thing for lemon bars. You may have guessed that.

lemon shortbread bars

So, after a tough week, I thought making a nice batch of these tart but sweet treats might lift my spirits and brighten the weekend.

lemons for lemon bars

I wanted to use Meyer lemons, but my impatience got the better of me. I sent my husband to the closest grocery store to see what he could find, and regular ol’ lemons it was. No Meyers.

IMG_7784

I used a blend of recipes for these lemon bars. I slightly modified La Fuji Mama’s recipe for the shortbread crust by adding a half teaspoon of Kosher salt. For the filling, I used this recipe from Gourmet magazine, but I added a teaspoon of lemon zest and half teaspoon of good vanilla.

shortbread crust, ready to bake

IMG_7786

freshly dusted

I loved the thickness of the shortbread. The ratio of lemon filling to shortbread was essentially one to one, and this helped cut down on the tartness of the lemon in each bite. The best thing? Watching my family devour them. It worked — my spirits were lifted.

lemon shortbread bars

lemon shortbread bars

Lemon Shortbread Bars

Ingredients for Shortbread Base:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (plus 3 tbsp for dusting the top of the bars)
1-1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Ingredients for Lemon Filling:

4 large eggs
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon good vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish.

Make the shortbread base: Using a food processor, combine the flour, confectioner’s sugar, butter, and salt. Pat dough into greased baking dish. Bake for 18-20 minutes (crust will be slightly golden-colored).

While shortbread base is baking, make the lemon filling: Whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until combined well. Stir in lemon juice, flour, vanilla, and lemon zest.

Pour lemon filling into baking dish, over the hot shortbread filling. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until filling is set.

Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Sift confectioner’s sugar over bars prior to serving.

Adapted from recipes by La Fuji Mama & Gourmet.

24 Responses to “meyer lemon curd marbled cheesecake”

1. 1
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 3, 2011 @ 7:15 am

You said the magic word… cheesecake. And with meyer lemon thrown into the mix, I find myself drooling uncontrollably while looking at these wonderful pictures.

2. 2
    Belinda — January 3, 2011 @ 7:25 am

It was extremely yummy! I was there and had a slice! 🙂

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention meyer lemon curd marbled cheesecake | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

4. 3
    JulieD — January 3, 2011 @ 8:33 am

It looks wonderful and reminds me of a key lime cheesecake I once had…I think you inspired me to try to make it. I’m glad you got to spend more time with your family this holiday season. Happy New Year!

5. 4
    doctorbobster — January 3, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Nice essay and, as usual, beautifully photographed.

6. 5
    Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — January 3, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

My all time favorite cheesecake has a lemon layer on top and I love the simplicity because I really prefer this dessert not loaded up with candy or chocolate but served as you have; with some fresh fruit.

I’m getting some Meyer Lemons; so excited…and think I have to make both the curd and this cheesecake for a Denver area bloggers meeting the end of this month; it’s doable for brunch right? 🙂

7. 6
    Kristina @ spabettie — January 3, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

two of my favorite things… anything Meyer Lemon and… cheesecake. this looks wonderful.

8. 7
    Liz the Chef — January 3, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

An instant addition to my Meyer lemon recipe collection!!!

9. 8
    Stephanie — January 3, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

That lemon curd is to die for so I can imagine how it must add to the cheesecake! Thanks for sharing!

10. 9
    Baking Barrister — January 3, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

I disagree with Brian up there: the magic wordS are “meyer lemon curd”–the cheesecake is just a bonus. This is going in my arsenal–and I’m whipping it out next time my brother requests lemon meringue pie because this has got to be a million times better.

11. 10
    Jennifer (Savor) — January 3, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

ohh….I NEED a slice!

12. 11
    Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef — January 3, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

I am weeping that I can’t have a Meyer lemon tree in the northeast… 🙁

13. 12
    megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 3, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

This sounds like the perfect cheesecake! So light and fresh. Looks beautiful!

14. 13
    ~Citra~ — January 4, 2011 @ 5:09 am

O o o o … What a yummy scrumptious good looking piece ! I should try this recipe soon ^_^

15. 14
    Joy — January 4, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I love love meyer lemons. That looks so good.

16. 15
    Lael Hazan @educatedpalate — January 5, 2011 @ 6:46 am

Meyer lemons are one of my favorites. Sweet and tart, this year the cold has intensified the flavor of the citrus so they will make your already wonderful cheesecake pop! Good luck with the calibrations, I truly empathize.

17. 16
    Heather (The Menu Mama) — January 5, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

This looks amazing. Also, your chocolate chip cookie picture at the top of your blog is a bad influence. I’m seriously trying to resist the urge to run to the kitchen and whip up a batch of cookies right now.

18. 17
    briarrose — January 5, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Oh wonderful lemon cheesecake. Beautiful job. This looks fresh and lovely.

19. Pingback: Meyer lemon almond cake | the merry gourmet

20. Pingback: Citrus Curd - Three Ways | Lemon Curd, Lime Curd and Grapefruit Curd | Good Life Eats

21. Pingback: the little kitchen » Dandy Meyer Lemons and a KitchenAid 5 Qt. Stand Mixer Giveaway

22. Pingback: Orange Curd Recipe | How to Make Orange Curd | Good Life Eats

23. Pingback: Coconut Lemon Curd Recipe | How to Make Lemon Curd | Good Life Eats

24. 18
    Maggie Winter — October 9, 2013 @ 12:00 am

I’ve just made this cheesecake tonight, it is so good and such an easy recipe to follow, I’m going to explore your site more thanks so much.