st~germain and ruby red cocktail

Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, and I am not sharing a single chocolate creation with you. Crazy, right? I must be coming down with something.

I am totally not prepared for this rosy pink, heart-filled holiday. Normally, by the end of January, I have already bought and assembled my children’s valentines for their school parties. [Notice that I did not say, hand-crafted the kids’ valentines. I’m not that good. Never have been.] I have a long to-do list this weekend, and prime on that list is buying whatever remnants of valentines are left at Target. Poor Oliver may be stuck giving out Dora valentines, but I’m okay with that. And if there’s a lollipop attached to each valentine, then he will be too. I also plan to pick up a heart-shaped box of chocolates for each child – something my parents did for me every Valentine’s Day as I was growing up, and a tradition that I’ve carried on with Madeline and Oliver.

In celebration of this Friday before Valentine’s Day – and in celebration of the fact that tonight is date night! – let’s have a cocktail, shall we?

As a cook and a scientist, it’s incredibly fun to play around with flavors and see what works. It’s less fun to find something that doesn’t work, but that’s part of the process, so I accept it. I have no delusions that I know anything about cocktails. I do know what I like, though, and I think that is important. St~Germain elderflower liqueur has quickly risen to my list of favorite ingredients for cocktails. This cocktail is one of my favorites to make, either with vodka or gin.

For this drink, I used my beloved St~Germain and a combination of grapefruit juice and cranberry juice. The St~Germain adds a wonderful floral, sweet note that contrasts yet complements the acidic and slight bitterness of the juices. Here in Florida, we’re overrun with grapefruit this time of year, so there are certainly no shortages of the beautiful Ruby Reds to make this drink with.

Yield: 1 drink

St Germain & Ruby Red Cocktail

For a primer on how to garnish with lemon peel, read this post by Mike.

1 ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1 ounce gin
1 ounce Ruby Red grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce cranberry juice
lemon peel for garnish

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the St. Germain, gin, and juices. Shake well. Strain the drink into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with lemon peel. Serve.

23 Responses to “meyer lemon almond cake”

1. Jean — January 6, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Two of my favorite baking ingredients. I bet this is as delicious as it is beautiful. I can almost smell the almond paste… 🙂

2. Aggie — January 6, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

what a nice post to read through. I need to take your advice on writing out all of our already made plans on the calendar in ink (how about let’s just start by putting them on the so called calendar!) 🙂 I always say I want to get more calendar organized each year…such a work in progress for me…
    on to the cake. this is totally my kind of cake. I don’t bake often but I would totally bake this! I love the almond paste, and of course the meyer lemons!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Thanks, Aggie. If I don’t do my calendar on Dec 31st or Jan 1st, it never gets done. It’s now an annual tradition that I really look forward to.

3. Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef — January 6, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Do you hear me wailing up in CT that the weather is too harsh for Meyer lemons and I must pay a fortune for them at Balduccis?! I am so psyched to meet you at BHF!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Kelsey – I am SO looking forward to meeting you, too!

4. Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 6, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

I have to get my hands on some meyer lemons. I haven’t had a single one this winter and I’m starting to feel a void.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

You should have visited me in Florida when you were here, silly. I would have shared!

5. Heather (The Menu Mama) — January 6, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

The cake looks fantastic, I really must try this one. My husband and I took a child-free trip to NYC this past October, it was heavenly. 🙂

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

Don’t you just love child-free trips? We try to do one or two each year.

6. Lynn — January 6, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Sounds like you have great year planned. And than you for the lucious sounding cake. It’s going on my must bake list!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 6th, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Oh, you totally should. If you do, let me know how it turns out for you! You’ll notice that mine fell in the middle, but that’s the beauty of the glaze — no one will notice. 🙂

7. Almond cakes are great because they are always so moist, and like pound cake they just get better with age. Meyer lemons and orange flower water must make this cake so fragrant!

8. Barbara @ Vino Luci Style — January 7, 2011 @ 10:26 am

You are making my attempts to cut back on sweets hard; this cake is so up my alley! I think I know what I’m going to make for the next Denver area blogger Meetup at my home; I am getting a box of Meyer Lemons delivered any day now and this cake just needs to be made. Lemons and almond; I’m not sure I’ve ever combined the two and can’t wait!

9. Lori @ Lemons and Lavender — January 7, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

I love lemons, especially the Meyer variety, and a friend has three backyard trees exploding with the little gems. So glad I’m not one for making New Years Resolutions!! Looking forward to trying your version of this cake!

10. Pingback: Tweets that mention Meyer lemon almond cake | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

11. This cake sounds wonderful. I made something similar recently with marzipan and orange. Can’t wait to try this version.

12. Gail — January 8, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Meyer lemons are such a wonderful treat. Beautiful cake, MJ!

13. briarrose — January 9, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Delicious. Almond and lemon is such a lovely mix. The scent of this baking must be heavenly.

14. foodies at home — January 9, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

This looks like the perfect way to get back into the swing of things! Have fun at your blogging conferences!

15. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 11, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

This cake looks absolutely amazing!!

16. Lucy — January 11, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

This post has encouraged me to forget about the holidays being over and truly look forward to all the exciting things 2011 will bring! Almond and lemon are two of my favourite flavours so this cake just looks totally gorgeous to me 🙂

17. Pingback: meyer lemon shortbread cookies | the merry gourmet