st~germain and ruby red cocktail

Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, and I am not sharing a single chocolate creation with you. Crazy, right? I must be coming down with something.

I am totally not prepared for this rosy pink, heart-filled holiday. Normally, by the end of January, I have already bought and assembled my children’s valentines for their school parties. [Notice that I did not say, hand-crafted the kids’ valentines. I’m not that good. Never have been.] I have a long to-do list this weekend, and prime on that list is buying whatever remnants of valentines are left at Target. Poor Oliver may be stuck giving out Dora valentines, but I’m okay with that. And if there’s a lollipop attached to each valentine, then he will be too. I also plan to pick up a heart-shaped box of chocolates for each child – something my parents did for me every Valentine’s Day as I was growing up, and a tradition that I’ve carried on with Madeline and Oliver.

In celebration of this Friday before Valentine’s Day – and in celebration of the fact that tonight is date night! – let’s have a cocktail, shall we?

As a cook and a scientist, it’s incredibly fun to play around with flavors and see what works. It’s less fun to find something that doesn’t work, but that’s part of the process, so I accept it. I have no delusions that I know anything about cocktails. I do know what I like, though, and I think that is important. St~Germain elderflower liqueur has quickly risen to my list of favorite ingredients for cocktails. This cocktail is one of my favorites to make, either with vodka or gin.

For this drink, I used my beloved St~Germain and a combination of grapefruit juice and cranberry juice. The St~Germain adds a wonderful floral, sweet note that contrasts yet complements the acidic and slight bitterness of the juices. Here in Florida, we’re overrun with grapefruit this time of year, so there are certainly no shortages of the beautiful Ruby Reds to make this drink with.

Yield: 1 drink

St Germain & Ruby Red Cocktail

For a primer on how to garnish with lemon peel, read this post by Mike.

1 ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1 ounce gin
1 ounce Ruby Red grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce cranberry juice
lemon peel for garnish

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the St. Germain, gin, and juices. Shake well. Strain the drink into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with lemon peel. Serve.

18 Responses to “on friendships, and braised beef short ribs”

1. DessertForTwo — February 10, 2012 @ 10:56 am

I echo your sentiments about never allowing myself to be close friends with someone until I was older. I’ve always been really driven in school and now with my career, so I rarely made time for things like friends. When I moved to Cali for grad school, I met the most wonderful group of girls and we instantly connected. I have never had female friends so wonderful. I can’t imagine life without them. Sometimes, I still find myself holding back details of my life from them and I don’t know why. It is such a joy to be able to call a friend and discuss anything my heart desires. And it makes me light up when they call me or need me in return.

Lovely post, as always, MJ 🙂

2. Jenny — February 10, 2012 @ 11:08 am

When I was growing up – I wasn’t allowed to have friends. My parents – one an alcoholic and the other with mental illness were abusive and controlling – they didn’t want anyone to “hurt” me – so no play dates, movies, parks – no anything. It took a long time – a very long time to learn how to be a friend – and now I am lucky to have many friends – those I have met and those I haven’t. I still shy away at first – but I try very hard to let people into my life. You wouldn’t think that would be true as much as I share on my blog and in the social media – I guess there I feel safe. I share my love through food with my friends and family — that comes so easy to me. I so enjoy your beautiful words.

3. Janis — February 10, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I love this blog post for oh so many reasons.

4. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — February 10, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I always love your posts so much (I’m quite sure I would love these ribs too). It’s funny, some of my blogger friends (whom I haven’t even met) have been the best support and checked on me more than my in-real-life friends during the last couple of weeks. Both varieties of friends mean the world to me–but friendship sure is an interesting thing. I think friends begin to mean more as we start to know OURSELVES better, which happens as we age. Anyways–you said it better than me 🙂

5. Maureen — February 10, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

What a beautiful post. I could feel the raw emotion when you talked about friends. I believe friends come into our lives and go out of it as if it’s planned — because we need them at that time.

I’ve lost some good friends who’ve recently died and so many things trigger memories of them. Especially food. 🙂

These ribs look so good. I haven’t made them since moving from the states. I haven’t seen them at the butcher. Maybe I should ask.

6. Liren — February 10, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I loved this piece, MJ. When you open yourself to someone, whether in real life or on the screen, there is a vulnerability that can be frightening. I’ve always been the type that considers friendship something you foster for life, so the first time I drifted from a friend I took it very personally as a failure. But such is life, and we can just be grateful for the ones who are present and share with us each day. I’m so glad you had a lovely weekend and delicious meal with good friends 🙂

7. Flavia — February 10, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

What a lovely post, Merry. I have had several special, longtime girlfriends in my life whom I cherish very much, and they are still a big part of my life to this day. I also feel so blessed and incredibly happy to have met so many wonderful friends through my blog and Twitter (you are one of them!). When I first left the corporate world to stay home full-time, I felt very lonely. Most of my close friends are back in my home state of Maryland and the few friends I have here in Houston have busy lives and I don’t see them often. Once I started my blog and started connecting with new people who shared the same passions for food, cooking, writing and photography, the loneliness I felt faded away. It has been so wonderful to become part of such a rich and inspiring community!

8. Jill Mant~a SaucyCook — February 11, 2012 @ 1:25 am

I can not imagine my life without my girlfriends. They have held me up when I thought I could not go on, cheered me on through my triumphs, just listened to me when I have needed to talk, and sat and said nothing when I needed only to know they were there. My girlfriends have laughed with me until we cried, shared secrets we will take to our graves and been the “aunts” to my children that my own sister just couldn’t be. They are my life line.
    I would like to be your friend and come for braised short ribs!

9. Gail — February 11, 2012 @ 7:04 am

So sweet, MJ.
    Love you, too. You’re one of the best gifts I’ve received from Twitter.

Oh, and the short ribs and grits don’t look bad either!

xoxo

10. marla — February 11, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Friendship is a true gift, thanks for reminding us not to take it for granted. Such a comforting recipe too 🙂

11. Macaroni Mama — February 11, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Merry Jennifer, this is a beautiful post. When you and Carrie grew apart, my heart was broken too. You guys were so close for so many years. By the way, your shortribs and grits looks scrumptious. Love you.

12. Elizabeth — February 11, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

I used to always spend New Year’s Eve with a group of good friends, but since we’ve turned into bona fide grown-ups it’s been harder and harder to get together. So glad you had the chance to share such a delicious meal with so many wonderful people (those ribs look incredible!).

13. Paula — February 12, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Your friends are as blessed to have you as you them (I’m sure they know that). I think it is wonderful that your blog, your writing, has opened many doors to new people, friends and possibilities but it is you who had to keep those doors open and walk through them. I’m happy, grateful, that you are and that you are not holding back.

Your fall-off-the-bone short ribs look amazing!

14. Paula- bell'alimento — February 12, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

Love these short ribs and YOU! xoxo

15. kyleen — February 13, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Friendship is truly one of the best things in life. I have a best friend, whom I’ve known since eighth grade, which isn’t that long in retrospect (considering I’m only in the eleventh grade). Anyways, I hope that we’ll stay friends for a long, long time, despite the fact that we go to different high schools and that we’re most likely going to different universities in different parts of the world. It’s scary…

This post was beautiful and it really made me reflect about the value of friendship. Thank you for sharing.

The braised short ribs look delicious, by the way.

16. Alyson — February 17, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Kyleen – maintaining friendships from a distance takes some dedication, but I have found that there are some people in life who you can always return to and pick up where you left off no matter how much time has passed. I’m 31 and have had the same best friend since I was in the 3rd grade. She never left our hometown. I left for college and never went back. She got became a teacher, got married, and had a baby much faster than I did. It didn’t matter. We are still best friends. Unfortunately, for every story like that, there are lots of people who you love for a period of time, who serve a purpose, and they leave your life for whatever reason. I hope you and your friend stay friends forever, but if not, you always have wonderful memories and if she helped you become who you are she is forever a part of you.

MJ – I love this post. For the longest time I thought life was about how many friends you had and not the quality or depth of the friendship. I tried so hard to be friends with everyone. Some time in my mid to late 20’s I realized you just can’t spread yourself too thin and only certain people are truly worth the effort. I love and cherish the friends who love me enough to be there during the crazy times. Those friends who you really can tell anything to and not be judged. Friends are like extra sisters God sends us along the way. Our friend group went through some crazy things recently – from losing a parent to cancer to fertility issues, all sorts of “the stuff of life” – and without each other it sure would be a longer, lonelier road. Thank God for friends.

17. Tobias — February 18, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and can nothing but admire your open and expressive way of writing in this post and can only assume that your other posts are similar. I for now am far away from opening up that much and give so much insight into my life (which may not be the best attribute for a blogger).

Those ribs look pretty amazing, by the way. 🙂

Cheers,
    Tobias

18. Chris — February 19, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I don’t have any true friends other than family these days. A lot of close acquaintances, but not like the friends I used to have.

The ribs and grits really rock! I love grits anyway and topped with the succulent ribs? Oh yeah, I’ll take seconds!