looking back, looking forward, and a cocktail recipe: the st. honoré 75

I’ve washed my hands more times that I can count today, but they still smell of smoke and onions and garlic. I began the morning by chopping vegetables, preparing my mise en place for braised beef short ribs (tomorrow night’s dinner) and for barbecue baked beans (part of tonight’s dinner). While the short ribs were braising, releasing meaty aromas into the kitchen, I kept an eye on the temperature of the Big Green Egg, opening and closing the vents in the top to keep the pork butts inside smoking at a steady 300 degrees.

Tonight we’ll gather with my parents, my grandmother, my aunt and uncle and cousins, and we’ll dine on pulled pork with vinegar sauce (thanks to this book for the recipes), barbecue baked beans, and potato salad.  We’ll have the short ribs tomorrow, served over creamy grits. And we’ll have champagne, too.

We’ll drink the bubbly to celebrate the end of 2011 and the beginning of the new year. And gosh, I am so ready for a new year.

I have mixed emotions about 2011. I’ve had some wonderful experiences throughout the year, but everything has been overshadowed by my father’s health. Since January 29th, our lives have revolved around a series of emergency room visits, hospitalizations, rehab stays, and doctors appointments. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions, but I’ve been trying to focus my efforts on getting used to the new Dad.

I’m having a hard time with that, but I’ll keep trying.

It will be good to see 2011 growing smaller in the rear-view mirror of life.  My hopes for 2012 are not tremendously high — I’m a realist, after all — but I’m pretty sure it will be a better year than 2011 was.

I’d like 2012 to be the year that my dad uses his walker comfortably, and without a fear of falling.

In 2012, I’ll get to hug my brother again.

In 2012, we’re taking our kids on two pretty cool family vacations – a Disney cruise to start, and then a trip to California next summer.

In 2012, I turn 40. My husband and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. My daughter will start 3rd grade and my son will be in kindergarten. Lots of milestones with happy potential there.

I want 2012 to be the year that I write more – and more often. Fiction is a dream for me, but it’s never going to happen if I don’t start writing it. And maybe I won’t be very good at it, but at least I will have tried.

I would love to be healthier in 2012. And I will be.

To ring in the new year, and bid goodbye to that stinker of a year, 2011, here’s a cocktail for you. I raise my glass to you, dear readers, and toast to your health and happiness and peacefulness in 2012.

Cheers to a more beautiful 2012.

*   *   *   *   *

Because I think it would be good for me, I’m going to take a couple of weeks off from regular posting here at the merry gourmet. It’s always hard for me to stay completely away, but I’m going to try. See you again in January!

Yield: 1 drink

St. Honoré 75

1 ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1/2 ounce Meyer lemon juice
Champagne or other bubbly (cava, prosecco, sparkling wine)
Lemon twist, for garnish

In a chilled champagne flute, add St. Germain and lemon juice. Top with the bubbly and garnish with a lemon twist.

Tweaked from the recipe from St. Germain’s website.

24 Responses to “meyer lemon shortbread cookies”

1. 1
    Maria — January 14, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

I love lemon cookies! I can’t wait to try these!

2. 2
    Ines Anchondo — January 14, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

These look delicious! Do you know of an online source of Meyer Lemons (I live in the dessert). Maybe I should get my own tree and try to grow indoors?

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 14th, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I don’t know of an online source. We grew our tree outside on our patio, in a pot. It was really easy to do.

3. 3
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 14, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

This is some wonderful deliciousness here! You know how much I love shortbread… mix that with Meyer lemons and you have yourself a perfect treat!

4. 4
    Kelsey — January 14, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

These looks amazing, I LOVE Meyer Lemons. Another great recipe is Meyer Lemon Sables by Amanda Hesser.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 14th, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Great tip, Kelsey. Thanks!

5. 5

I subscribe to most of the food magazines too. I am sure our husbands could compare notes 🙂 These looks look wonderful. I have seen a lot of blogs lately with recipes including Myer lemons so I am determined to find them here.

6. 6
    briarrose — January 14, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

Mmmm…tasty lemon cookies.

7. 7
    Chris — January 14, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

That’s a really good point…I understand now why cooking/baking waivers this month. C’mon Editors! 🙂

These look delish. I would have liked these instead of the muffins I used my Meyers in. I see these in my future. 🙂

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention meyer lemon shortbread cookies | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

9. 8
    Macaroni Mama — January 14, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Thank you, Merry Jennifer. Life does continue after December.

10. 9

Ina’s shortbread cookie recipe is my go-to recipe when I’m in the mood for shortbread cookies. I like to make them into sandwich cookies with some raspberry jam in the middle. I like your idea of adding some lemon zest and glazing the cookies.

11. 10
    Cheryl Arkison — January 15, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Here’s hoping I can find more Meyer Lemons at the market today. They will go quite well with some curd… Maybe as a sandwich?

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — January 15th, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Oh, yes. A little sandwich with some lemon curd sounds divine.

12. 11
    Helene — January 15, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I am an avid cooking magazines collector. I even hide some under my bed. Don’t like the January issues either. Nice cookies.

13. 12
    Aggie — January 17, 2011 @ 11:34 am

I seriously love shortbread cookies…and lemon cookies….and magazines. 🙂

14. 13
    Melanie Schoenhut — January 18, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Lemon cookies are so simple and I love trying this one. This will be perfect for me while I am starting to learn how to bake. Thanks for sharing.

15. 14
    Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 18, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

THANK YOU! I was just saying the other day how I hated January issues of food magazines… It’s when all of the food people get stupid and start trying to make lasagna with no fat ricotta and other “fake” food so they can claim that it’s less than 200 calories.

Anyway, I’m so glad you made cookies… I love them, and love the lemon in them. I’m bookmarking this recipe!

16. 15
    Jason Phelps — January 28, 2011 @ 7:40 am

I haven’t decided what kind of cookies I am going to make for my second act with Meyer Lemons, but I do know I have lemon sugar to top them with. Thank you for some inspiration.

Jason

17. 16
    Liz the Chef — January 29, 2011 @ 11:18 am

They don’t call me “Meyer lemon Liz” for nothing 😉 These has instantly become a “must bake” on my list – I’ll be posting a ML cake later this week…

18. 17

My husband loves anything citrus & have a feeling he’d LOVE these cookies!

19. Pingback: snippets | The Sleepy Time Gal

20. Pingback: Four wine-inspired holiday gifts for the Chardonnay fan | La Crema Winery

21. Pingback: Healthy Green Kitchen Gluten Free Lemon Pie