roasted shrimp with rosemary and thyme

We are blessed to have an abundance of fresh seafood available year round. We live in a town almost equidistant from both coasts of Florida. Cedar Key is just over an hour to our west, and St. Augustine is perhaps an hour and a half to our east. Fresh seafood is celebrated with festivals throughout the state, but especially in this part of northern Florida. Cedar Key will celebrate their 41st annual seafood festival this October. St. Augustine, the nation’s oldest city, held their 29th annual seafood festival in March. There’s the Blue Crab Festival in Palatka and the Fiddler Crab Festival in Steinhatchee.

I think you get my point. Seafood is a big deal here.

When the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico happened a couple of weeks ago, we started wondering about the future of seafood in our area. Our seafood comes in part from the Gulf, and in part from the Atlantic Ocean – also potentially threatened by the oil spill. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty surrounding the long term effects of oil leak, but it’s certainly not a good thing. A well-written article by Kim Severson in the New York Times highlighted the fears of Gulf coast residents and the potential impact on the fishing and shrimping industry.

My mind has been on shrimp lately because of all of this, so I decided to roast some. It’s such a simple preparation that you don’t really need a recipe. In fact, all you need are some great shrimp, some olive oil, and some seasonings which you can vary to your taste. I used St. Augustine shrimp, the most common type we buy at our local seafood market.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and drizzle a tablespoon or so of extra virgin olive oil over the peeled and deveined shrimp. Toss the shrimp with some kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, chopped fresh rosemary, and chopped fresh thyme. Spread them out on a sheet pan and roast them in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and firm and cooked through. I served mine with some cocktail sauce as an afternoon snack, but I’m sure they would be great in a simple pasta or risotto dish.

17 Responses to “pan-fried onion and chive dip”

1. Leigh — December 6, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

I can attest to how wonderful this dip was. I’m totally wishing I had some right now. You are a great hostess, lady!

2. May Ling Wu — December 6, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

This looks amazing! Will have to take it to my next potluck!

3. Brian @ A Thought For Food — December 6, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

This has all the good things in life… butter, sour cream, mayo. My heart hurts just thinking about it… but gosh darn it, when has that stopped me from enjoying things in life? Nom!

4. Jennifer (Savor) — December 6, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

OMG – gorgeous!

5. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 6, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

I LOVE this dip recipe, it is beyond amazing. Thank you for reminding me to make it again soon! 😉 Your photos are gorgeous by the way!

6. Ina is the best and all of her recipes are wonderful for entertaining. Homemade onion dip versus the store bought version is so much better. Your photos look great! Wish I had a bowl of dip and chips right now.

7. Tes — December 7, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Love your photographs!
    This sounds super simple but looks so delicious 🙂

8. Kristina @ spabettie — December 7, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

this sounds and looks perfectly delicious… I WILL be making this before the year end!! 🙂

Happy Holidays !

9. briarrose — December 7, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

What an interesting dip. So tasty.

10. Pingback: Tweets that mention pan-fried onion and chive dip | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

11. Nancy@acommunaltable — December 8, 2010 @ 12:08 am

Wonderful remake of a classic – and much, much more delicious!!
    I am like you – even though I am a personal chef, when I have people over I don’t want to have too much to do in the kitchen and so make ahead dishes are the best!!

12. Jara — December 8, 2010 @ 12:27 am

I adore anything and everything with onions. It’s something I’m known for in my family and this couldn’t be more my style. I definitely have to make this dip for my next family party. thanks for sharing! 🙂

13. Jason Phelps — December 8, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I can’t find anything wrong with this at all! I’m always looking for new appetizers to try. Party on Sunday.

Jason

14. Aggie — December 8, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

The BC onion dip is one of the first “entertaining” recipes I have ever tried! I love that you added chives…the color is so pretty! One of my all time favorite dips!! (great photos!)

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — December 8th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

Thanks, Aggie! Her recipes never let me down.

15. Chris — December 12, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

I am going to have to try this with the rotisserie onions that I made yesterday! Thanks for sharing.

16. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Christmas Entertaining (Episode 75) | my kitchen addiction