the pamplemousse cocktail

My husband and I are having a party soon — all part of my commitment to myself to entertain more. One thing I realized during the planning process, though, is that if you call a party a cocktail party, you should probably serve a cocktail. And, let me preface this post by saying that I am much more of a wine person than a cocktail person. In fact, I’ve never made what could be considered a cocktail. I mean, mixing up some rum and Coke doesn’t really count, does it?

So, the pressure is on to find a cocktail recipe that I can’t screw up.

My husband has agreed to help me with the taste-testing — tough job, I know. So, last weekend I set out on a mission to find a cocktail recipe that didn’t have a ton of steps, used alcohol that we had on hand or could easily find, could be made in advance, and could  triple or quadruple for a crowd. And it had to taste fabulous, too. Can’t forget that.

In my search for the perfect cocktail, I found a few candidates on Epicurious. One potential was the Pamplemousse Cocktail, from Bon Appétit. Since I’m really not comfortable with messing up expensive alcoholic beverages, I followed the recipe pretty much to the tee. The cocktail got great reviews online, so I decided not to mess with a good thing. A handful of weeks ago, the great folks at Pom Wonderful sent me some of their pomegranate juice to try, so I was able put it to excellent use in this cocktail.

And, folks. We may have a winner.

Yield: Serves 6.

The Pamplemousse Cocktail

7 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons honey
1 1/2 cups vodka
3/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
18 fresh mint leaves, plus 6 sprigs for garnish
ice cubes

Make pomegranate simple syrup by bringing the first 4 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cool. This step can be done one day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.

Combine pomegranate simple syrup, vodka, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and mint leaves together in a large pitcher. Fill pitcher with ice cubes and stir vigorously. Strain drink into martini glasses. Garnish each glass with mint sprig and serve.

25 Responses to “cocktail hour: the jasmine”

1. spiceblogger — April 29, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Cocktail hour? I’m ready! This drink looks divine!
      May have to whip this up tonight in celebration of FRIDAY! 🙂

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

There is nothing wrong with celebrating Friday.

2. Liren — April 29, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Aww, love the graduation photo flashback! You look adorable! And also stunning: that cocktail! Cheers!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Ha ha! Thanks, Liren. That was during the bangs-phase of my life. 🙂

3. This looks so tasty and refreshing! Have fun with your friends tonight!

4. Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 29, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

Did you and Amanda from The Cilantropist plan this??? You both have similar cocktails today… similar, but very different. Wish we could both gather around and have drinks!

5. Jersey Girl Cooks — April 29, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Mmmmnnn! I love grapefruit. Love the picture!

6. Looks and sounds so refreshing! I love the taste of Cointreau. Cheers.

7. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — April 30, 2011 @ 11:32 am

I’ve just lucked onto some great grapefruit from the market; sounds perfect. Can I do it for breakfast, hmm?

Adorable photo.

8. Kare — April 30, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Very elegant looking, and a gin-based drink to boot! That’s my kind of cocktail. Hope you had a fabulous time with your friends.

9. Aggie — April 30, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

I normally don’t do gin, but I would be willing to try this because it looks so darn good!!

10. Maris (In Good Taste) — April 30, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

That cocktail looks so enticing! The picture from graduation is lovely!

11. TheGourmetCoffeeGuy — May 2, 2011 @ 12:49 am

Your Jasmine cocktail recipe sounds absolutely delicious and very refreshing, we will definitely try it. Enjoyed your post and the “flashback”– sometimes the best evenings with friends are the ones that are impromptu.

12. Pingback: Delicious Links! « Chef Pandita

13. Jennifer (Savor) — May 2, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

unm, I NEED this drink but prefer someone bring it to me. Volunteering?

14. Greg — May 2, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Great cocktail. Bet the Campari really gives it a kick.

15. Yuri — May 2, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

Great cocktail, MJ 🙂 I linked to this post in today’s Delicious Links post. Love finding new-to-me blogs!

16. TheCilantropist — May 3, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Oooo… I just shared a drink with campari too! Clearly great minds think alike! 😉 I love love love grapefruit juice, and I love anything that has cointreau so I am sure I would adore this – especially on a hot summer day.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — May 3rd, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

Great minds DEFINITELY think alike. 🙂

17. Katie — May 4, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Oh my goodness, this sounds absolutely divine! I must acquire the ingredients to make one…stat!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — May 4th, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

We should get together for cocktail hour. 🙂

18. Pingback: Spiced Cider Cocktail Recipe

19. Pingback: Delicious Links!