a celebratory cocktail: the châtelaine

Here it is, the Sunday before Christmas. The stockings have been hung by the chimney with care [Well, not really. They’re hung by our staircase. We have no chimney.]. I’m almost certain that all of the presents have been bought. Most of them have been wrapped. Christmas dinner plans are in the works, and except for a couple more days of work, I’m ready for this holiday.

I even bought myself a present yesterday – a bottle of St. Germain elderflower liqueur to play with. I heard a podcast about the liqueur earlier this year that piqued my interest in St. Germain. The liqueur is made from fresh elderflowers that grow at the foothills of the French Alps, and they only blossom during a two to three week window in the spring. The St. Germain website has lots of cocktail recipes, and I’m considering making each one of them over the holidays.

Today, though, to celebrate having all of our Christmas shopping done and only two more days of work before some much needed time off, I give you the Châtelaine. The original recipe calls for gin, but I don’t have gin. I used vodka instead. I also had some pomegranate arils stored in the freezer, and I thought the frozen arils made a nice little garnish.

Cheers!

Yield: 1 drin

The Châtelaine

Slightly adapted from this recipe in Food and Wine. The recipe calls for a crisp white wine, and I think Sauvignon Blanc fits that bill quite nicely. I used POM Wonderful pomegranate juice.

2 ounce Sauvignon Blanc
1 ounce vodka
1/2 ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1 ounce pomegranate juice
pomegranate arils (i.e, seeds) for garnish

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add Sauvignon Blanc, vodka, St. Germain, and pomegranate juice. Shake well. Strain the drink into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with 5 or 6 pomegranate arils.

12 Responses to “in celebration of friday: pomegranate cosmopolitan”

1. Gail — June 25, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I think I need one now. Stress fractured metatarsal demands this kind of medicine, don’t you think?

2. Pomegranate juice is a wonderful ingredient… but it’s particularly delicious in alcoholic beverages. Cosmos get such a bad rap, but I think a lot of bars tend to over sweeten them. This recipe sounds perfectly boozy, with just a little sweetness coming from the juice and Cointreau.

3. merrygourmet
    merrygourmet — June 25, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

Gail – Yep. I think you need a prescription for one. Or two.

Brian – It was definitely boozy, but not overwhelmingly so. I love using pomegranate juice in drinks. 🙂

4. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — June 25, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Sophisticated is in the eye of the beholder, don’t you think? My daughter and her friends think ANYTHING in a martini glass pretty doggone up there!

I’m so with you…love a cosmopolitan or other such ‘girly’ drink. Appreciate the idea of Pom; especially since I have some of it in the pantry. Now.

Ever had a lemon drop martini? Just had one the other night for the first time in a long time. Love those too; bet you would as well.

5. Magic of Spice — June 25, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

I think I will have 2:)

6. Pingback: Tweets that mention in celebration of friday: pomegranate cosmopolitan | the merry gourmet -- Topsy.com

7. Winnie — June 25, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

ok, that looks fantastic!

8. FrenchPressMemos — June 26, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Never been one to turn down a nice Cosmo. Fun bright summer recipe!

9. The Housewife — June 26, 2010 @ 2:33 am

I love pom juice… this sounds great for a summer night out on the town! 🙂

10. Jean — June 26, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

I’m like you, I typically order wine when dining out, but I live to enjoy a good cosmo now and then. A pomegranate one is a sure winner in my book. 🙂

11. Jason Phelps — June 30, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

Loving the POM these days, huh? The gelato is gone, I couldn’t help myself.

I started some cranberry infused vodka about a month ago and just used it this week in a cosmo. So good. Using some POM juice instead of the blueberry/grape I was using would make it a bit more tart which might be quite nice.

Drink on!

Jason

12. Oh we are going to get along so well at IFBC!!! That is all!