in celebration of friday: pomegranate cosmopolitan

While it may not be the most sophisticated drink, I have a thing for the cosmopolitan. When we’re having dinner out, I usually order a glass of wine since I’m more comfortable navigating a wine list. However, if I do order a cocktail, I’ll usually go for a cosmo or some other jazzed-up martini with some sweetness to it. And on beach vacations, I love a great piña colada.

But, alas, we are not at the beach and there is not a piña colada in sight. It is Friday, though, and that’s enough reason to celebrate. Let’s have a pomegranate cosmopolitan, shall we?

In the interest of full disclosure: I was sent samples of Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice by the good folks at Pom Wonderful. I accepted because I loved the product long before they offered to send me some, and I always have a bottle in my refrigerator.

Yield: 1 drink

Pomegranate Cosmopolitan

There are lots of recipes out there for the cosmopolitan, and almost all of them have four basic components - vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice, and cranberry juice. For this one, I just substituted pomegranate juice for the cranberry juice. Very simple to do.

1 1/2 ounces citrus vodka
1 ounce Cointreau
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice (juice from about 1/2 of a lime)
1/2 ounce pomegranate juice
1 cup ice
wedge of lime, for garnish

In a cocktail shaker, combine the vodka, Cointreau, lime juice, and pomegranate juice. Add ice and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds. Strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish glass with a wedge of lime.

17 Responses to “and then he was four”

1. Brian @ A Thought For Food — October 4, 2010 @ 7:38 am

Your children are precious… and you’re absolutely right. You should keep your sanity for as long as you can. I should share with you some of the birthday cakes my mom made for me as a child (a Cake Bible chocolate cake decorated with the Ghostbusters logo)… but I remember she was a bit stressed through the whole thing and would ultimately collapse from exhaustion after the event.

Sounds like he had a memorable day… and that you did too.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

The cake bible chocolate cake with the Ghostbusters logo sounds fascinating, Brian! It’s crazy the things we do for our kids, and I’m certain to lose my sanity in other aspects of parenting, but I have promised myself I won’t do it over the birthday parties. It really was a great day.

2. Amy from She Wears Many Hats — October 4, 2010 @ 7:39 am

So sweet!

Cute cake too – regardless who made it. ; )

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

Thanks!

3. Renee (Kudos Kitchen) — October 4, 2010 @ 8:00 am

This post was so lovely! Congratulations to Oliver for turning 4. That’s big stuff!
    I also think the cake that the Publix made was pretty great looking too. They did a wonderful job of recreating Oliver’s party invitation in frosting. Also, bravo to you for admitting your addiction to Publix icing. I’m sure the food snobs just cringed, but I’m not one of them!
    On a side note, I love your Merry Gourmet logo. So cute!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

Renee – I’m positive I offended all the food snobs, but I have to be honest. 🙂

4. Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon — October 4, 2010 @ 8:34 am

I love birthdays that last all weekend. And if Publix cakes are anything like Safeway cakes, the frosting is some of the best stuff on earth.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

Wendi – I think they put crack in their frosting. It’s really that addictive.

5. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle — October 4, 2010 @ 11:07 am

All weekend? Consider yourself lucky he is only four; soon they will get old enough to find a way to stretch their birthday from one weekend to the other…and when mine were that age, I was equally culpable of that being the case!

I love seeing little kids parties; they are a big reminder of the fun we had whey my kids were little. Your children are adorable and I can attest to Brian’s moms occasional angst. I did make all of my kids birthday cakes but I don’t think I had a Publix or a prayer to get a cake this cute or that would not have been the case.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

Barbara – I’m planning on stretching my birthday out for this entire month, so I know what you’re talking about. 😉

6. heather — October 4, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

You have one lucky son — looks like a great party!

Cheers,

*Heather*

7. Azra — October 4, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

MJ, Great post! And beautiful party-I am stealing your ideas 🙂 Tiny prints card and Publix @ Jonesville for cake-thank you!
    Please send me more details on the sticker fun table-I would like to have it for Eddie’s late b-day party!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:05 pm

Azra – I wish I could say there was something really unique about what I did, but seriously, it was nothing more than a table set up with some foam paper and foam stickers from the craft store, Michael’s. I bought a variety of stickers – things that both girls and boys would like – and they all had a great time!

8. Nancy@acommunaltable — October 5, 2010 @ 1:23 am

Too cute!! I loved all the kids expressions!!! What a wonderful party – craft ideas are always a hit! The best one I ever did was when my son was 8 – wanted an “army” party. We had more fun! The craft was to make large paper airplanes that they decorated with crayons and stickers and then we had a contest to see who could fly theirs the farthest!! I honestly think the kids would have been happy to do that all day long!! So glad that the party worked out so well – good job Mom!!!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I’m always amazed when kids are drawn to crafts, but they really seem to love them, even when they seem very simple – like my very simple stickers set-up. Worked out beautifully. 🙂

9. Maria at Fresh Eats — October 5, 2010 @ 11:19 am

Your children are adorable and it looks like it was a grand party! Go you!!!

• mj (merry gourmet)