heirloom tomato bruschetta

I was listening to The Splendid Table podcast one day recently, and I heard a segment that Lynne Rossetto Kasper did on foods that we eat when we’re alone. It got me thinking about the foods that I eat when I’m alone. And, to be perfectly honest, I’m sort of embarrassed by my laziness when it comes to meal preparation when I’m only responsible for feeding myself. I’m perfectly content with a bowl of cereal. Actually, I’m usually excited to be able to eat a bowl of cereal. Awful, I know.

This past weekend was a bit of an unusual one. Because it was a working weekend for me, and because my husband and I planned to attend my high school reunion on Saturday evening, my parents kept our children for both nights. On Saturday, while Sam was doing some volunteer work, I found myself all alone at lunch time – a bit of a rarity on the weekends. After being inspired by one of my colleagues at work (a fellow foodie, of course!), I bought some beautiful heirloom tomatoes and decided to have a simple bruschetta. I can only do this when I’m alone, you see, because of my tomato-hating husband.

The bruschetta was simply divine. My only regret was that I had not made more of it. Had I let it sit for more than about 15 minutes, it probably would have been even better, but when there’s a beautiful tomato drenched in olive oil and balsamic in front of me, I simply cannot control myself. And especially not when said tomato is topped with a light sprinkling of fleur de sel.

By the way, if you don’t already listen to The Splendid Table podcast, you are seriously missing out. Lynne Rossetto Kasper gets me to work every morning and home every evening. Between her and Ira Glass of This American Life, I am one happy commuter.

Yield: 4 servings

Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

Recipe just slightly adapted from this one in Bon Appรฉtit, June 2008. I used heirloom full-size tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. I highly recommend using high quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar since these really make the dish.

6-8 ripe heirloom tomatoes (just depends on the size of the tomato)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing on the bread
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Fleur de sel

Core and remove seeds from the tomatoes. Dice the seeded tomatoes into small pieces, depending on your preference (1/8 inch approximately).

Add tomatoes, onion, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with fleur de sel just prior to serving.

Note: Serve with sliced baguette that you have rubbed with olive oil and toasted under the broiler. Or, simply eat out of the bowl with a spoon - which is what I did.

18 Responses to “tailgate food: guacamole dip with fresh corn”

1. Susi — August 24, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

We love anything Avocado and I make guacamole all the time! This is a great twist on a classic. Love it :o)

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 24, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

Love homemade guacamole! I’m so tired of having people serve that pureed stuff you buy at the store. Makes me gag a little. This, however, is perfection… and the perfect recipe to make before the summer ends.

3. Baking Serendipity — August 24, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

I’m dying for it to be football season already too! This would be an awesome dip to serve at a party ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the addition of corn.

4. Carol (CGtheFoodie) — August 24, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

That dip looks great! I can just imagine accidentally grabbing the chipotles when I am half awake and feeding the cats… ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Lauren — August 25, 2010 @ 7:38 am

I simply adore avocados, and have experimented with many different add-ins to guacamole… but I’ve never tried fresh corn. Brilliant idea! I also like that you used some Greek yogurt (a favorite of mine) to lighten up the dip a bit. Can’t wait to make this.

6. RavieNomNoms — August 25, 2010 @ 9:41 am

YUM!

7. May Ling Wu — August 25, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Great way to use up all that summer corn!

8. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — August 25, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

You can call it guacamole or you can call it guacamole dip. To me, I think I’ll just call it good! I recently made a corn salsa that I could serve this with. Would need two spoons; hold the chips.

9. Lisa McB. — August 25, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Perfect timing–I just bought fresh avocados and limes; everything else I have. Off to the kitchen I go!

10. Gail — August 25, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

I am kicking myself that I never thought of putting fresh corn in guacamole. This looks seriously delicious. And, I have a car w/a tailgate. Forget the game, let’s just eat!

11. Tristan — August 26, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Wow – this guac looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it out.

12. Glenn — August 27, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Going to make this tonight. This will be a great addition to our jam session/cookout! The fresh corn is a great idea. I’ll be looking for the Silver Queen. My brother and I used to eat it uncooked all the time back in the day :~)

13. Chris — August 29, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Oh yeah, football is underway. These days our football food is less geared toward tailgating and more focused on fueling our 11 y/o who is playing his second year. 5 days of practice and/or games a week is making him a bottomless pit! I can’t throw enough food at him.

This guac looks very good, I’ve never tried corn in mine. Great looking color in that photo.

14. SMITH BITES — August 29, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

I have to sheepishly admit that I’ve never tailgated in my entire life! But now that niece Avery is attending Indiana University, the family is considering tailgating and then watching the game – this would be perfect!

15. Sara — August 29, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

I am right there with you on the Greek yogurt, but the corn?!?! I’ve not ever had guac with corn, but I’d like to try it. I bet the corn adds that perfect bit of sweet that I just love.

16. Lauren — August 31, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

I made this last night, and it was fantastic! The fresh raw corn added the perfect amount of crunch and sweetness to the creamy guacamole. Thanks for a great recipe!

17. Aggie — May 4, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

YES! I have such a hard time not making traditional guac everytime I get a craving, but I would sway for this. I am loving the fresh corn in this!!

I want to live in Gainesville.

• mj (merry gourmet)