flagler beach, florida: flagler fish company

While the kids played in the sand and surf at the beach on our recent vacation, I sat in my flimsy little $12 beach chair with my Kindle. Between finishing up the Stieg Larsson series and keeping my eye on the kids, I watched shrimping boats in the distance.

And I started craving shrimp. Imagine that. Luckily, the eastern coast of Florida is a happening spot for seafood restaurants, like the one I wrote about earlier in the week. Some friends had mentioned that we should try the Flagler Fish Company in Flagler Beach, just a 15 minute drive or so from our beach condo. I am so glad that we did. It was such a great place that we actually went back a second time the very next night.

Flagler Fish Company is a combination fish market and restaurant. We were there on a Friday and Saturday night, and it was understandably crowded. The wait was a bit longer on Saturday than Friday, but the young guy in charge of seating guests was fabulous and brought us out some drinks for the kids — and a lovely glass of wine for me and beer for my husband. The drinks, along with some delicious clam dip, made the 30 minute wait much more bearable.

The restaurant offers to cook anything that’s in their display cases, and there was a lot of fresh fish to choose from. The prices are very similar to those that we find in our local fish market. Of course, that’s not terribly surprising since we live less than two hours from the beach.

I know I’ve said this before, but I am a huge fan of grits. And shrimp and grits? Well, now you’re talking. On the menu at Flagler Fish Company, the shrimp and grits is called “redneck scampi.” And, oh my. This was one incredible dish. The grits were nothing fancy – Quaker (I asked) – but they were creamy and had bits of corn and tomatoes blended in. The shrimp were perfectly sauteed.

The second night I ordered one of the other items that caught my eye on their menu – the fish tacos. At $5 each, I ordered one of the “North Side” tacos and one of the “Red Light” tacos. The North Side was filled with tomato, avocado, shredded cabbage, and a spicy chipotle salsa. And, it was indeed spicy. I was thankful for my glass of water. The Red Light taco was milder, with a similar filling but with a mild salsa verde and sour cream instead of the spicy chipotle salsa. The fish was cooked just right in both tacos. And, of course, I ordered a side of grits. Because – have I mentioned this? –  I love grits.

We’ve officially added Flagler Fish Company to our Favorite Places To Eat At The Beach list. Hmm….it might be time to plan another beach vacation…

6 Responses to “summer vacation: puerto rico”

1. Macaroni Mama — July 27, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

This brought so much memories and I cried. I love that you and Sam are making memories for your children. You know they will never forget. Heck, Clay was the hit of fourth grade when talked about Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.

2. Lillian — July 28, 2013 @ 11:01 am

I never realized Puerto Rico was so gorgeous. It sounds like a wonderful vacation and, yes, kids will bicker no matter how beautiful the scenery is.
    Lillian

3. Nutmeg Nanny — July 28, 2013 @ 11:13 pm

Absolutely gorgeous photos 🙂 what a landscape!

4. The Wimpy Vegetarian — July 29, 2013 @ 12:12 am

I recognized this place right away. My husband and I stayed there a couple of years ago when he attended a conference there where he was a speaker. We had a wonderful mini-vacation and fell in love with Puerto Rico. And we loved the El Conquistador Resort!! So happy that you and are family are enjoying it too, even with some normal bickering 🙂

5. Eileen — July 29, 2013 @ 10:34 am

My sister and I use to bicker like that too. I remember a family vacation where my dad was reaching into the back seat (while he was still driving) just hoping to get his hands on one of us – lol! Thanks for sharing your beautiful trip with us!

6. Gary Jackson — August 6, 2013 @ 9:33 am

We have a coqui named Pedro who lives in a glass jar in our “farm house” kitchen near the sink. There are also coquis everywhere, under leaves in the garden, in the trees, hanging out in the heliconias but even with our over-abundance of coquis sometimes one of our guests wants to see a coqui and can’t seem to find one for a photo or a quick look. Following the sound of the coquis outside is deceptively difficult because their call is loud and echos so that you’re never really sure what leaf to look under or even what tree the coqui may be coming in.

Our Three King’s day present was the return of Pedro the coqui. We saw him right back in his jar on the kitchen counter just to the right of my Pavoni. We thought we had lost him just before Christmas when a guest staying with us who is a professional photographer needed a subject in the short hours before he had to return home to catch his flight. We set up a banana leaf and a yagrumo leaf on the big mahogany table in the kitchen and Steve took many pictures, using a flash, and from all angles. Pedro didn’t seem to mind but when I put him back near his jar he hid out for several weeks and we didn’t see him again until three king’s day. You can go to Scott Kilgore’s web site to see some of his excellent nature photographs and perhaps soon one of the pictures he took of Pedro — our kitchen coqui.