a sweet treat: how to make meyer lemon curd

Early last summer, or maybe it was late in the spring, I bought a potted Meyer lemon tree. The kids were excited about watching our very own lemons grow. In fact, they drove me crazy for the first week we had the plant. “Are there lemons yet? When will the lemons grow?” Of course, I had the same questions, but with 30-something more years of patience than Maddie and Oliver, I was content to wait.

We watched that little tree grow a tiny bit bigger, sprout beautiful white flowers, and then, after a while, we were rewarded with baby green lemons. By the time the baby lemons appeared, the kids had lost interest but I was enchanted with this little tree. I felt like a child checking the stockings in the days leading up to Christmas to see if by chance, by some remote chance, Santa decided to come early. I checked on my little lemon tree almost daily. I felt each lemon, counted them, and guarded those eight little babies carefully. And of course I watered the tree, and it got lots of sun on my patio.

Before we knew it, we had Meyer lemons. Real Meyer lemons, grown in our own backyard. Eight of them.

That’s it. Just eight.

So what does one do with eight Meyer lemons? I asked this question on Twitter and Facebook and the most popular answer was lemon curd.  I’ve never had lemon curd, but I love lemon tarts and lemon bars. So, lemon curd it was.

I’m not sure there is an easier thing to make than lemon curd. You’ll need a candy thermometer or other instant-read thermometer, but that’s about as high tech as the recipe gets. Lemons, butter, sugar, and eggs…what could be simpler?

The Meyer lemon curd tasted just like the filling of a lemon tart, sweet and bright with just the right amount of tartness. The curd is a great topping for warm biscuits or scones, a cheesecake (and if you keep your eyes peeled, you’ll see a post about this in the very near future!), or a filling for a tart. And it’s really good just eaten out of the container with a spoon.

But I would never do such a thing. *wink*

Meyer Lemon Curd

From Gourmet, December 1999. Just a note: When I made this, I only needed two Meyer lemons to get the amount of juice & zest the recipe calls for. I would suggest having 3 or 4 on hand, and be happy if you have a couple left over at the end.

3 to 4 Meyer lemons
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces

Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 2 teaspoons and squeeze enough juice to measure 1/2 cup. Whisk together zest, juice, sugar, and eggs in a metal bowl and add butter. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, whisking, until thickened and smooth and an instant-read thermometer (or a candy thermometer) registers 160°F, about 5 minutes. Force curd through a fine sieve or mesh strainer set into another bowl.

Cover surface of lemon curd completely with wax paper and cool completely; keeps covered & chilled for about 1 week.

33 Responses to “some days you need pie: blueberry pie”

1. Taylor — March 2, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I think every day that ends in Y is a great day for Blueberry pie. Looks Delicious! Will be thinking about you and your family.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

I like your thinking, Taylor. And, thanks so much for the well wishes!

2. Liz the Chef — March 2, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

What a great daughter – and mother – you are. The time you spend with your father is such an important part of he healing. You and your family are in my thoughts…And your pie looks quite fabulous!

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Thanks, Liz. I know that you know all about these stressful times, and I so appreciate your thoughts for us. *hugs*

3. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — March 2, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I like to eat the crust scraps too 😛 It’s such a beautiful pie. How could it not bring smiles? Keep your spirits up for your mom and dad. I know how hard that can be.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Thank you so much, Angela.

4. Gail — March 2, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Pie. That’s all that you needed to say.
    Nothing’s bad when there’s pie.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

I like that: “Nothing’s bad when there’s pie.” Very, very true.

5. Flavia — March 2, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Beautiful blueberry pie, Merry. It’s one of my favorite kinds of pie and I agree that LOTS of things can be improved with pie! I have been following your tweets about your dad and am keeping your family in my thoughts.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Thank you so much, Flavia.

6. drbabs — March 2, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

If blueberry pie appears, can spring be far behind?
    Hang in there.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Spring is pretty much here in north Florida — and thank goodness!

7. Mac — March 2, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

All I want to know is if you ship?! LOL! Now there’s a dish that would turn any bad day into a good day, for sure! Beautiful, and looks so yummy 😉 Your photos just “ooze” scrumptious warm blueberry pie. Another job well done.

Thanks for the update on your dad. You and your family continue to be in my prayers. *hug*

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Thanks so much, Mac.

8. Ethan — March 3, 2011 @ 1:08 am

You had me at “pie”. The fact that it’s blueberry is just a bonus! I’m glad to hear everyone is on the mend and you’ll be back to a normal routine soon enough. For all you’ve been through, cut yourself an extra large slice, but save a sliver for me:)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Ethan, one day we will share a slice of pie.

9. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — March 3, 2011 @ 9:43 am

What a gorgeous pie! I love lattice crusts and wish I could make one myself. I don’t know why, but pie crusts are something elude me. But the purchased ones are not so bad!

Yes, we all have days that call for a slice of pie. Some days you even need two slices. Praying for you all as you transition into having your Dad at home.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Lana, you could totally make a lattice pie crust. If I can, you certainly can.

10. Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane — March 3, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Your post gave me chills and reminded me of a time a couple years ago when my family’s strength was tested. I can’t even imagine how difficult some of your days are, but I love that your Dad’s goal is to spend time with his grandchildren again. If that’s not motivation, I don’t know what is.

And, with a pie like that, I wouldn’t have been able to wait to cut into it either. Besides, is there anything better than oozing berries? I think not.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth!

11. This looks delicious – I wish I was in my kitchen making pastry right now. Lovely photos too.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

Thank you!

12. I think I need a slice of pie right now! Blueberry isn’t usually my first pie choice (I’m more of a lemon and cherry fan), but this one is calling my name!

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

I usually don’t go for blueberry either, but this one changed my mind!

13. Tracey — March 3, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Blueberry pie is my absolute favorite and yours looks SO good! I’ve been waiting until blueberries are in season to make one, but your post makes me think twice 🙂

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

I wanted to wait until they were in season, too, but my son begged for a blueberry pie. I don’t say no to fresh fruit. Or my son (often, anyway). 🙂

14. Cookin' Canuck — March 3, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

What a beautiful pie! It’s true that there seem to be healing qualities in food made with love. You are in my thoughts.

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Thank you so much!

15. Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 5, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I would take a piece of blueberry pie any day. This is definitely going to be the year of the pie for me… and this is on my list!

16. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate — March 7, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Yes, a slice a pie goes a long way to helping get life in perspective. Good luck in overcoming your future challenges as beautifully as you created the pie.

17. TheGourmetCoffeeGuy — March 7, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

Very nice post and incredibly “appetizing” photos. Blueberry pie: a favorite. Tapioca is an ingredient we have not used before in our pie, imagine adds great flavor. Thank you for sharing.

18. Renee (Kudos Kitchen) — March 21, 2011 @ 8:35 am

Your pie looks simply amazing! I’ve never see a more intriguiging picture of a pie. I’d like to dive right in. That said, I wish your family well.

19. Patty H — April 23, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

It looks awesome – – never mind waiting for it to cool! My motto to my kids has always been, “It doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it tastes good.” But your pie looks delicious, and I hope to find out soon how it tastes!