silent sunday: riviera maya, mexico

These images were taken at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya, an all-inclusive resort about 60 miles from Cancun and less than 5 miles from Playa del Carmen.

My wonderful husband, Sam, gets credit for taking about half of the photos you see above, including the one with his toes peeking up in the kayak. I’m trying to figure out how to get him to contribute regularly here on the blog. Wish me luck.

12 Responses to “silent sunday: kitchen witch cookbooks, new orleans”

1. Mike@The Culinary Lens — September 4, 2011 @ 7:14 am

I love finds like this. You cannot over plan a vacation, you have to leave time for just turning off your planned route. Some of my favorite photos were from times I got lost.

2. Jenn — September 4, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Wow what an awesome find! Would love to come across a store like that!!

3. Maria Raynal — September 4, 2011 @ 8:21 am

This is why I love having some unstructured time when I’m away so I can stumble on gems like these. Wish I was with you for this one!

4. Snippets of Thyme — September 4, 2011 @ 8:38 am

What a little jewel of a find! Being from Louisiana, I do remember the Times Picayune. What soulful city New Orleans is. I’ve lived far from the south for a long time and have recently moved to TX. Discovering N.O. again comes with so many mixed emotions. I think of the city as an elderly but regal old lady who isn’t fashionable by today’s standards but proud of her faded and vintage style.

5. Liren — September 4, 2011 @ 10:41 am

What a treasure trove! I could just spend hours upon hours in this charming store.

6. Karriann Graf — September 4, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

What a fantastic place! Happy treasure hunting!

7. Carolyn Binder — September 4, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Is there any place better to hang out than a local bookstore? Love the personality and the pup. I would definitely spend the afternoon.

8. Jamie — September 4, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

I saw this place but didn’t go in. Darn I should have! Those cookbooks are amazing finds!

9. Macaroni Mama — September 4, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Looking back almost always yields a surprise! Love the photos!

10. Paula — September 6, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I hope you purchased that Picayune Creole Cookbook, what a treasure! And to find an old cookbook with hand-written recipe cards in them…oh the untold stories. I can only imagine how happy you were that you turned and went back.

11. Gail — September 6, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Don’t you just love poking around old cookbook stores? The bonus here? The photos, of course.

12. sweetsugarbelle — September 7, 2011 @ 9:40 am

You found a treasure trove! I’m dissapointed that I made it out of NOLA without making it into this WONDERFUL place! Lucky lucky gal!!