silent sunday: paynes prairie preserve, micanopy, florida

Paynes Prarie Preserve State Park is one of our local gems. Nestled between Gainesville and Micanopy, the prairie is over 22,000 acres and contains amazing wildlife, including alligators, wild horses, bison, and numerous bird species. This trail, the one we walked on this last Saturday in December, is the La Chua Trail. We capped off our 5 mile hike with dinner and drinks at Satchel’s Pizza.

It was a most perfect Saturday.

*   *   *

9 Responses to “our summer vacation: banff and glacier national parks”

1. Gail — July 20, 2015 @ 7:37 am

WOW!  You certainly did cover a lot of ground!  The photos are magnificent,  MJ.  On your next trip, try to remember to take enough time there so you can really take it all in after  you put the camera down.  xoxo

2. Abby — July 20, 2015 @ 12:48 pm

These photos are STUNNING. I’ve never been to a national park… horrible, I know I suppose my parents (and subsequently, I) are just city/hotel people hahah. My dad often talk about how he regrets not taking us to a national park when we were younger, though, and after seeing this post I’m dying to go! So much beauty.

3. Paula — July 22, 2015 @ 8:22 am

Ouch on the expensive car rental but “Wow” on seeing this photos on my laptop instead of my phone! There are stunning and I’m looking forward to reading more on this vacation.

4. Lisa Doucet — July 22, 2015 @ 2:55 pm

Awesome info and pic’s… When I read your blog this a.m. I was stoked… then I found out about the fires in GNP…. I leave in 2 wks…. hope it will be ok…..

5. Kate King — March 3, 2016 @ 4:41 pm

Hello! My husband and I are looking into doing a similar trip. Which car rental company did you use? I have not been able to find a clear answer on which companies will allow you to bring cars from the US to Canada, and the other way. Thank you for your help!

Merry-Jennifer replied: — March 6th, 2016 @ 6:45 pm

Budget was the only car rental we found that would do a one-way rental from Canada to the US. I’m not sure about the other way around (US to Canada).

6. Allycia Wolff — August 10, 2016 @ 1:37 pm

Beautiful pictures! I’m looking to plan a trip next summer and have always wanted to do Glacier and Banff in one trip. Do you think two weeks would be enough to do both? If not, which park would you recommend doing first? Thanks!

Merry-Jennifer replied: — August 10th, 2016 @ 2:41 pm

Oh, wow. That’s like asking me to pick my favorite child! I think you can do both in two weeks easily, and you’d find plenty of reasons to want to return later. Have a wonderful time!

7. Nicole Miller — January 3, 2017 @ 9:15 pm

Thank you so much for this information!  Very helpful!  I wanted to do Banff and Glacier together but have decided to stick to Banff for now since we will only have a week.