silent sunday: his last wish

My father’s last spoken wish to me was to come with us to the Grand Tetons and to Yellowstone. He would never have the chance to see it again, through his own eyes. But he saw it through mine, and through the eyes of his grandchildren.

We left a little of him behind, too, in three places that felt right.

yellowstone national park

Tower Falls area, Yellowstone National Park

yellowstone national park

Soda Butte, in Lamar Valley, Yellowstone National Park

grand teton national park

Lupine Meadows, in Grand Teton National Park

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.” – John Muir, 1938

6 Responses to “summer vacation: puerto rico”

1. Macaroni Mama — July 27, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

This brought so much memories and I cried. I love that you and Sam are making memories for your children. You know they will never forget. Heck, Clay was the hit of fourth grade when talked about Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.

2. Lillian — July 28, 2013 @ 11:01 am

I never realized Puerto Rico was so gorgeous. It sounds like a wonderful vacation and, yes, kids will bicker no matter how beautiful the scenery is.
    Lillian

3. Nutmeg Nanny — July 28, 2013 @ 11:13 pm

Absolutely gorgeous photos 🙂 what a landscape!

4. The Wimpy Vegetarian — July 29, 2013 @ 12:12 am

I recognized this place right away. My husband and I stayed there a couple of years ago when he attended a conference there where he was a speaker. We had a wonderful mini-vacation and fell in love with Puerto Rico. And we loved the El Conquistador Resort!! So happy that you and are family are enjoying it too, even with some normal bickering 🙂

5. Eileen — July 29, 2013 @ 10:34 am

My sister and I use to bicker like that too. I remember a family vacation where my dad was reaching into the back seat (while he was still driving) just hoping to get his hands on one of us – lol! Thanks for sharing your beautiful trip with us!

6. Gary Jackson — August 6, 2013 @ 9:33 am

We have a coqui named Pedro who lives in a glass jar in our “farm house” kitchen near the sink. There are also coquis everywhere, under leaves in the garden, in the trees, hanging out in the heliconias but even with our over-abundance of coquis sometimes one of our guests wants to see a coqui and can’t seem to find one for a photo or a quick look. Following the sound of the coquis outside is deceptively difficult because their call is loud and echos so that you’re never really sure what leaf to look under or even what tree the coqui may be coming in.

Our Three King’s day present was the return of Pedro the coqui. We saw him right back in his jar on the kitchen counter just to the right of my Pavoni. We thought we had lost him just before Christmas when a guest staying with us who is a professional photographer needed a subject in the short hours before he had to return home to catch his flight. We set up a banana leaf and a yagrumo leaf on the big mahogany table in the kitchen and Steve took many pictures, using a flash, and from all angles. Pedro didn’t seem to mind but when I put him back near his jar he hid out for several weeks and we didn’t see him again until three king’s day. You can go to Scott Kilgore’s web site to see some of his excellent nature photographs and perhaps soon one of the pictures he took of Pedro — our kitchen coqui.