new york city in (mostly) photos

In October 2011, Sam and I were all set to take a trip to New York City over the weekend between our birthdays. About one week before we were to leave, my father fell and ended up being hospitalized. It was a complicated hospitalization, and one of a series of events that led to his rapid health decline. Needless to say, we cancelled that trip.

One year later, in 2012, we planned a make-up trip on a similar weekend in October. The goal this time was to celebrate my 40th birthday in the city, to really do it up. We bought tickets for a Broadway show, scored dinner reservations at Eleven Madison Park, and had dinners with good friends planned. And, just as the year before, another health issue  – my husband’s this time – prompted us to cancel the trip about a week before we were to leave.

I decided to try one last time. I booked airline tickets and made a hotel reservation. We would spend this year’s birthday – my 41st – in New York City. And if something happened to intervene, I knew that we would give up on ever trying to plan an October trip again, especially to New York.

The day before we were to leave, my son fell head first – face first, really – into the corner of the coffee table. His screams were awful to hear. I was certain that he’d fractured his skull. Once he calmed down, he seemed relatively okay, despite the immediate swelling around his nose and upper lip. We took him to the emergency room just in case. And selfishly, I thought, This is it. This is the event that will cause us to miss New York.

Because he is one lucky kid, though, he escaped without any broken bones or lost teeth. And because we are the luckiest of parents, we were able to leave Oliver and his sister with their Grammy for a glorious long weekend in Manhattan.

And this trip? It was a total splurge. Every bit of it.

(If you’re interested, I’ve listed the places we visited during the trip at the bottom of the post.)

empire state building

the nomad hotel

the nomad hotel

book of mormon

shake shack

central park, nyc

central park, nyc

central park, nyc

central park, nyc

tired feet

eleven madison park

trinity cemetery

The cemetery at Trinity Church in lower Manhattan, founded in 1842.

new york stock exchange

alexander hamilton us custom house

statue of liberty

pizza at lombardi's

birthday gelato

My birthday gelato at Barbuto.

*   *   *   *   *

The Details

Hotel:

The NoMad Hotel

Show:

Book of Mormon – Hysterical, just as everyone says. I’m not a fan of musicals, but this one was an exception. I still feel the tiniest bit guilty about laughing so loudly during certain parts.

Meals:

The NoMad Bar – Appetizers and drinks. I highly recommend the brussels sprouts and the wonderful cocktail, Mother’s Little Helper.

The Breslin Bar & Dining Room – An impromptu breakfast with a dear friend.

Shake Shack – We had to try this, of course.

Eleven Madison Park – Complete splurge. Excellent meal. Sam nearly choked on a puntarella (an Italian bitter green). It was memorable, in so many ways.

Lombardi’s on Spring Street – Thin crust pizza cooked in a coal oven. It made for a fantastic lunch after walking all over downtown Manhattan.

Barbuto – Sam and I had the most wonderful dinner with Gail and Jackie and Olga and Andrew. The meal was perfect, but the conversation and company was even better.

Tour:

Gotham Walking Tours – We took the Lower Manhattan tour, a three hour walking tour of the downtown area including NYC’s civic center, Wall Street, and the South Street Seaport. Lina was an excellent tour guide.

21 Responses to “a new york city weekend”

1. Winnie — March 20, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

So sorry you lost your camera, but this post and the pictures you do have made me smile…they are so beautiful! Was SO wonderful to meet you and I am so glad you enjoyed your trip 🙂

2. What lovely photos! It looks as though you had a great trip. I myself am just itching to get back to NYC as I haven’t been since February of 2007! I definitely need to get back there and get tasting some great seafood and sipping on some lovely martinis!

3. sweetsugarbelle — March 20, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

This looks like heaven. To me NYC is magical. I dream of a visit. It seems like the most wonderful place on earth.

4. Liren — March 20, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

Sigh, your photos are making me nostalgic and reminding me that its time for me to plan a visit home. So glad you had fun, but so sad you lost your camera!

5. Ethan — March 20, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

It was a foregone conclusion you’d have a great time! NYC + all the twitter people = amazing!
    Thanks for the pictures (and sorry you lost your camera)

6. Denise @ Creative Kitchen — March 21, 2011 @ 2:05 am

So happy for you that you had such a great time in NYC with hubby! Couple getaways are SO important & wow…NYC, I can only imagine!! 😉 Your photographs are beautiful…I feel like I’m there. Great to see springtime, since I live in South Florida. The camera for me would be a huge bummer….but good for you, trying to roll with it.

Can’t wait to meet you at FBF Orlando in a few weeks. Yes…Twitter is “magic.”

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

7. Macaroni Mama — March 21, 2011 @ 7:11 am

Great photos!

8. Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 21, 2011 @ 7:43 am

I am so jealous that everyone got to meet you… looks like you had a wonderful trip filled with good weather and lots of food. Next time, come to Boston 😉

9. Gail — March 21, 2011 @ 9:05 am

I’m so glad I got to spend a little time with you during this glorious NY weekend!
    We’re all so lucky to have found each other through twitter. I know my life is my better for it.

10. Lynda — March 21, 2011 @ 11:08 am

New York never looked so beautiful – I wish it were closer to San Francisco! What a wonderful opportunity for you and a well deserved vacation.

11. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle — March 21, 2011 @ 11:32 am

I guess I need to give NYC another chance. I spent one day there with my daughter and sister a few years ago after a wonderful vacation in Boston. We were tired, it was hot and those two girls decided a trip on the subway to see the Statue of Liberty was on their ‘have to’ list. Next time I’ll follow the beat to my own drummer and check out the city and food places I would love to visit.

Love the pictures…even if fewer than you would have liked!

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 23rd, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

You definitely need to give it another try, Barb.

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 21, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

So sorry that you lost your camera… But, glad that you had a good trip otherwise! It was so wonderful to see you again!

Love all of your pictures… They are absolutely beautiful. 🙂

13. Amy | She Wears Many Hats — March 21, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

What a fun filled weekend! A tasty one too.

14. Ken⏐hungry rabbit — March 21, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

A pleasure to meet you and your hubby over cocktails at Pegu and a delightful dinner with the gang. Promise all of us you will come back soon, real soon.

• mj (merry gourmet)

mj (merry gourmet) replied: — March 23rd, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I’m going to try my darndest!

15. tom — March 22, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

wow what a sweet montage, the pics are some of the clearest I have seen, well done, tom

16. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite — March 23, 2011 @ 9:13 am

I’ve pored over these pictures and soaked them in. Living vicariously, you know. We should plan this again soon. When I can actually be there! xox

17. Pingback: vacations and baked meatballs | the merry gourmet