wishing you a merry christmas

markham family 2013 holiday

The Meyer lemon cheesecake and the pumpkin pie are cooling. The chess pie is baking now, and this time, I remembered to add the stick of butter. ┬áThe fruit cake cookies were made at 7:30 this morning, and I’ve lost track of how many have been devoured already. We’ve decorated oodles of sugar cookies, and two special ones have been set aside for Santa’s plate. Oliver wanted to give Santa an assortment of cookies, but I reminded him that Santa will have been eating sweets all night and might like only a nibble by the time he gets to our house.

I still have some things on my Christmas Eve to-do list. I need to prepare tomorrow’s cloverleaf rolls (the dough is rising now), prep the ingredients for the cornbread dressing (should have done this earlier), help Sam brine the turkey (we use Alton Brown’s honey brine), and wrap some final presents.

And, of course, Sam and I will be busy again once the kids go to bed. Maddie and Oliver have been tracking Santa on the NORAD Santa Tracker, and the excitement around here has been building all day. Periodically, Madeline jumps up and down and squeals, out of nowhere, “I’m so excited!”

While I have a few minutes of quiet – the kids are off riding bikes with their dad – I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. Whether you celebrate this holiday or another, I wish for you a beautiful day tomorrow, a day filled with joy, love, and an abundance of hope.

kids on the beach

18 Responses to “an intermission”

1. 1
    SMITH BITES — August 6, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

take as long as you need to, we’ll still be here; grief has it’s own timelines, it’s own ebb and flow and as you know, everyone grieves differently – the important thing is that you go thru it – not around, under, over, left or right, but thru whatever you need to swim thru to get to the other side. and we’ll still be here. cheering you on, supporting you however you need to be supported, we’ll still be here. oh – and i’d totally make you a chocolate cake w/chocolate buttercream frosting if we were neighbors (((hugs)))

2. 2
    Macaroni Mama — August 6, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

Merry Jennifer, what a beautiful post. I forget that we are all sharing the same feelings and emotions. Tell Sam I have a Gator license plate for him. Love you, girly. I miss you so much.

3. 3
    Kristen — August 6, 2013 @ 7:22 pm

Take your time… take your time. We’ll all be here with open arms ready when you are ready to share.
    I remember a time when sharing recipes seemed so meaningless in my life… with the loss I was dealing with, I felt like sharing a recipe, or styling the “perfect” photo, or even reading food blogs was just so insignificant. I have moved passed that, however it still creeps up every now and then. But, I love that I have a space to share both those recipes and my thoughts and to get the support and encouragement that will get me through to the next hump.
    I hope you feel that too!

4. 4
    Aimee — August 6, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

Sending so much love. Take as much time as you need. Of course we’ll understand. xox

5. 5

Take your time. We’ll be here waiting when you are ready. In the meantime, sending ginormous hugs to you all XO

6. 6

Have a fabulous vacation!

7. 7
    Di — August 7, 2013 @ 9:16 am

It seems you have the heart of a foodie, Merry Jennifer, but for me your draw is not the food or your pictures (though I enjoy your sharing both); the draw is the way you bundle and unbundle the black and white spaces we call words. They roll off the page and touch the soul in ways that make me feel better for having been there to catch thcm. They insprie, engage, pull towards an honest expression of what it’s like to be a part of humanity in all its raw, beautiful, form. It’s a gift that’s enviable. Enjoy your beach vacation. I am sorry for your family’s loss and hope being by the sea brings the healing you all need and deserve. I hope you are not holding your breath so much anymore and enjoy exhaling for a while.

8. 8
    Carol Sacks — August 7, 2013 @ 10:23 am

May your time away with your family be restorative and healing.

9. 9
    Jeannine — August 7, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

May you all have health and joy in full measure. Enjoy yourselves, and I’ll still be reading when you’re ready to post again.

10. 10
    Eileen — August 7, 2013 @ 12:22 pm

Kick back and eat those fried foods, drink that wine, laugh hard, and relax!

11. 11
    Lynda - TasteFood — August 7, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

Take your time to restore yourself and connect with your family – it’s so worth it. You’ll be back when you are ready!

12. 12
    Chris — August 7, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

Hang in there, take your time, and heal. I am still getting over the murder of my sister’s husband last September. It gets better. Almost every day there is a reminder but it gets easier. Just love your family.

13. 13
    cherie — August 7, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Oh my, it must have been doubly hard! I’m glad you’re paying attention to yourself for now and what you need – enjoy your vacation as best you can – indulge in all the small moments and pleasures – they soothe the soul.
    Prayers for you all

14. 14
    Paula — August 7, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

It was good to read that your family is managing their way through this very difficult time as well as can be expected. I can imagine how much you are all looking forward to your beach vacation and I hope that you and your husband find the rest and relaxation that you need.
    Feeling pressure to write strips the enjoyment out of blogging and in time you will log into your site and the words will flow with ease. Be patient with yourself and know that those that love and respect you and this site will be patient as well. Take good care of you.

15. 15
    Jennifer Hess — August 7, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

Take the time you need, MJ. Hug your family. Cook with them and for them. We’ll be here whenever you’re ready. xxoo

16. 16
    Frances — August 9, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Would love to be able to do something helpful. I’m reassured to know you are taking care of your family and yourself. As others have said, I, too, am sending prayers and thoughts for you all.

17. 17
    Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 14, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say hi… And let you know that I’m thinking about you! I missed seeing you at BSP this summer. I totally understand the need to just step back and take a break… Sometimes I think that it’s the best thing. Of course, we will all still be here when you return.

18. Pingback: The Merry Gourmet meyer lemon pudding cakes | the merry gourmet